Nanoflash with HMC 150/151 / external sound recording with nanoflash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old April 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #1
New Boot

Nanoflash with HMC 150/151 / external sound recording with nanoflash

Hi to everybody from the very north of Europe! I want to use the Nanoflash with the Panasonic HMC 150/151. Does anybody have experience with this setup? I need a 4:2:2 50 Mbit/S signal required by the standarts of a local TV station. The HDMI output of the HMC is 4:2:2, so I think this should be fine. I just wonder if the quality would be superior to the AVCHD 24 Mbit/s or if I needed 100 Mbit/s to reach a significant improvement of the picture?

Another question I have concerns the sound capability of the nanoflash: Can I record sound with the nanoflash using the 3.5mm connection when it is connected to the HMC 150 via HDMI? I know in other setups the nanoflash needs to be connected to a cam via SDI if you want to use external sound recording via the 3.5mm connection. I just don't have SDI.

Sorry for this beginner qestions, I am just learning. Thank you for helping :)
Max Petin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Max,

Your television station will probably be happier with 4:2:2 50 Mbps or higher files recorded by the nanoFlash as opposed to 24 Mbps AVCHD. But, in all fairness, this is a question for your television station.

For your second question, you can use the 3.5mm external audio input of the nanoFlash when using the HD/SDI video input or the HDMI video input, it makes no difference.

It is true, that the nanoFlash will not record just audio, a video signal is also required for the nanoFlash to go into record mode. This video can be from any valid source, HD-SDI, SD-SDI, or HDMI.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey