Future Flash XDR Program Changes Request at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 7th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Trustee

Future Flash XDR Program Changes Request

Hi Dan & Tommy:
There are a couple of minor changes I would like to request for the next firmware release for the Flash XDR. They are as follows.....

1. During Record, the timecode flashes off and on between "No Time Code Signal," and the running Time Code count itself. This looks like a malfunction, or that something is wrong (Even though I'm positive there's nothing actually going arigh), but it's distracting.

* It is interesting to note the Time Code readout does not flash intermittently during playback- This is great ! Can we make the record mode count behave in the same manor ?
EDIT: ** Ooops ! Sorry Guys ! That flashing Time Code Readout during record ***WAS INFACT INDICATIVE*** of an existing error message !! So sorry ! I had the TC set for the wrong mode during the flashing, or I had the HD_SDI signal accidentally interrupted during the recording session, thus causing the strange TC Record Readout anomaly.

2. During record there is a little hour glass symbol visible. I love the hour glass symbol, and it gives you confidence you are in fact recording audio and video. However, I think the hour glass symbol is by far way too small. Is there a way this symbol can be enlarged, please ? I find it very difficult to see.

3. The Headphone monitoring volume is way too loud ! Ouch ! I can't find any way to adjust the volume level. Can one of those buttons on the front be used to adjust headphone monitoring level ?

Thanks,

MJ.

Last edited by Mark Job; May 7th, 2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: For purposes of clarity.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Hour Glass Symbol is "One Character" High. I will ask if we can create a larger symbol.

Yes, we do need to provide a way to adjust the headphone level. We just need to find the time to program the hardware.

In the meantime, you could use a low-cost cord with a volume control.

We are working on some nice features which I think you will like very much.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; May 8th, 2010 at 10:48 AM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Trustee

Interesting Stuff Ahead for XDR Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Mark,

Thanks for the suggestions.
...Hey Dan, you're welcome :-)

Quote:
Hour Glass Symbol is "One Character" High. I will ask if we can create a larger symbol.
...Excellent & thank you :-)

Quote:
We are working on some nice features which I think you will like very much.
.....Ah ! Very interesting ! :-)
* Also, when recording to the CF cards, you have both a direct indication in front on the blue screen of the XDR exactly which CF card is being recorded to. There is also a blinking RED LED on the card slot, so one knows which card is being filled in the progression of recording. However, during playback, there is no indication on the front XDR blue screen to indicate exactly which card is currently playing back. (Although you still do have the RED LED on the CF card slot which is blinking). Could CD please make the actual progress bar flash off and on rapidly to show which card is currently playing back on the blue screen ? This function would be most helpful in diagnosing CF card performance, especially if you suspect you have a bad card and want to diagnose which one is giving you a problem. If you are outside in the weather, then you don't necessarily want to remove the rubber protective cover to see which slot is blinking - especially if its hanging off of your shoulder on the back of your camera.
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Deer Mark,

I will see if we can implement your suggestion.

As you may imagine, our engineer's plates are full at this moment, I will see if we can find a way to show which card slot is active.
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Trustee

CF Card Playback Indications

Quote:
Deer Mark,

I will see if we can implement your suggestion.

As you may imagine, our engineer's plates are full at this moment, I will see if we can find a way to show which card slot is active.
...Hi Dan:
Yes indeed I'm sure your engineer (s) (?) are now programming 3D Nano + 2D Nano + (Hopefully XDR Updates courtesy Nano & some XDR program functionality requests) :-) :-)

* Hey Dan, if I got myself another Flash XDR, would CD's Nano 3D kit and remote switch thingy work for an improvised 3D rig ? What would happen if I mixed and matched getting a Nano to work with the XDR for 3D ?
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

Sorry, but this gets very complicated.

One of the features of the nano3D allows for Live or 3D playback of specially combined 3D signals, in Pixel Sync, output via the HD-SDI output. This allows the combined 3D images to be see, in 3D using a consumer 3D Television or Monitor.

Without going into all of the details as to how we do this, we need to communicate from one nanoFlash to the second nanoFlash (in real-time) via one HDMI-Out and one HDMI-In, while using the HD-SDI input of both units, and one or both of the HD-SDI outputs.

Thus, we can not implement nano3D with two Flash XDR's since we do not have the HDMI Inputs and Outputs available, sorry.

There may be other technical reasons also.
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Trustee

3D Nano Pixel Syncing

Hi Dan:
OK, so you folks are using the HDMI to send one set of pixels to the other and then using the HD-SDI circuits for combined recording and playback. Cool, actually. Very cool !
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Trustee

Single Frame Recording Via Remote Switch Press ?

Hi Dan & Tommy:
I have another program enhancement request. Since single frame recording is enabled for time lapse recording, would it also be possible to enable single frame recording via remote start/stop cable press ? I propose to have a setting whereby you could set one press = One (1) frame, or One Press = two (2) frames for shooting animation "On two's."
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #9
Major Player

Hey Mark

I think the menu,s are pretty much getting there for 99% of the users.. I dont really want a thousand items in the menu,s .. just because it could be done.. unless the nano can make margarita,s :)
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

We already have close to what you are asking.

The System|Duration menu item allows you to set the duration of each recording.

It is currently setup for Hours:Minutes:Seconds.

If we add frames to this, then we would have the feature that you are requesting.
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Trustee

Perhaps it Could Be Done ? :-)

Hi Dan:
Cool ! I don't yet have a remote switch, but I would sure order one quickly if i could get this feature. Also, the Flash XDR mount you designed is great. Would it be possible to have almost the exact same mount, but have it so the lower mounting plate slants back at about 30 to 35 degrees toward the back of the camera ? Obviously, the upper mounting support must also undergo a big change. I consider a slant back position would be easier for viewing and making connections. I have discovered that when you place the XL H1 down on a table, or whatever flat surface, then the resulting HD-SDI, LTC, and/or HD-SDI OUT plugs all rub and press into the surface past the shoulder pad.

What I like about your XDR mount design is how strong it is ! This mount system is really robust :-) Now if we could just have that slant back with the HD-SDI sockets sitting a little higher up and slant back - Perfection ! :-)
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Hi Dan & Tommy:
I have another program enhancement request. Since single frame recording is enabled for time lapse recording, would it also be possible to enable single frame recording via remote start/stop cable press ? I propose to have a setting whereby you could set one press = One (1) frame, or One Press = two (2) frames for shooting animation "On two's."
Hi Mark,
below is a link to an animation with hands removed for your observation. With or without hands is very impressive. This is from our last shoot....

Last edited by Luben Izov; May 11th, 2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: link removed
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Trustee

A 1,000 New Features ! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Probyn View Post
Hey Mark

I think the menu,s are pretty much getting there for 99% of the users.. I dont really want a thousand items in the menu,s .. just because it could be done.. unless the nano can make margarita,s :)
...Hey Robin: What ? You mean you don't want feature after feature after feature ? Let us be dancing with features ! Whooo ! Hooooo ! ;-)
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #14
Trustee

Live Action Animated Effect Movies with Your Flash XDR/Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luben Izov View Post
Hi Mark,
below is a link to an animation with hands removed for your observation. With or without hands is very impressive. This is from our last shoot....
http://annewheeler.com/mation.wmv
...Hey Luben: Well, it wasn't Walt Disney, but it very effectively demonstrates you could use the Flash XDR or Nano Flash as an animation recorder. I wanted to try some live action pixelation movies with my XDR. I need the remote cable and be able to shoot at the press of a button one frame or two.
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Mark,
Yes, I know, but, we can make it very smooth in post. That was only the very rough after writing hand is removed.
I know what you are saying but, you really (maybe) do not need that.... don't know for sure... a frame control would eventuality make it way more smooth...
cheers

PS
I'll remove the link now
Luben Izov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey