First nanoFlash project, need some advice. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 10th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #1
Major Player

First nanoFlash project, need some advice.

Hi,

I'm going to be filming a music video this next Sunday/Monday with my EX1, Letus Ultimate and nanoFlash.

I will be editing in FCP.

I'm trying to decide if I should shoot 100Mbps or 50Mbps as I want to have the highest quality possible.

The reason for the decision is that my understanding is that FCP will only 'see' 50Mbps when I render out so my 100Mbps footage will be re-encoded (or something like that)

Any suggestions?
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #2
Major Player

1. Shoot 100mbps > Transcode to ProRes422HQ>Edit in FCP ProRes Project/Sequence

2. Shoot 100mbps > Set rendering preferences to render effects in ProRes422> edit in FCP native Project
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #3
New Boot

I have the same set-up as you do! Just watch out that on the Letus that you really can't go past F5.6 & 1/250th of a shutter or you'll see the ground glass. There's a few topics on that and I've noticed it on mine as well.....I'm anxiously waiting to hear back to see how to fix it.
But anyways, back to your topic, Shoot at the highest quality that your card can handle. I have Sandisk Extreme III's and they can only handle up to 180Mbps (long GOP). But in saying that, 100Mbps looks amazing, and after that, I can't even tell the difference between 180 vs 100. If your worried about storage space, shoot 100Mbps, if your not worried, shoot at your highest setting your cards can go, and take the time to off-load them onto 2 drives.
In post, it's true that your render will be 50Mbps, but as long as your original footage has all the information there before hand, you can do whatever you want with it, without loosing generations. Which I take it, you'll be grading heavily on this music video? 100Mbps will handle better than 50Mbps, as well as in theory, 180Mbps will handle better than 100Mbps.
Good-luck!
Fletcher Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys for your suggestions. That really helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey