Stereo Audio converted to Mono during transfer to Mac? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 12th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Stereo Audio converted to Mono during transfer to Mac?

A friend just called telling me that his client is having a problem with audio after files are transferred to the nano. The details, as I understand them are:

The nanoFlash is capturing in stereo and plays back in stereo while the cards are still in the nano. Upon transfer to the MacBook, the stereo channels are being converted to mono. If this guy weren't the best audio operator I know, I'd think he was nuts.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Steve Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Check out this thread in the forum here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...erting-sd.html

Message number 4 in the thread (from me) tells you the whole story, and how to "fix" the problem your client is having. He's not nuts, (and the problem/solution has nothing to do with downconverting).

Billy
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Billy,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not certain if this helps. I just skimmed your previous post and it looks as though that only solves the problem for playback in QT... possibly in FCP too. The audio guy who called me was saying that the files had been converted to mono during transfer. In other words, it wasn't a playback problem in FCP. It was playing back the files in mono, which is how they imported... and that is the problem.

I will clarify with him to be sure this is all correct, however. Thanks for your input... I'll update as soon as I hear back from him.

Regards,
Steve
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Steinberg View Post
Check out this thread in the forum here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...erting-sd.html

Message number 4 in the thread (from me) tells you the whole story, and how to "fix" the problem your client is having. He's not nuts, (and the problem/solution has nothing to do with downconverting).

Billy
Thank you Bill for reposting this info!
You would think that this would be fixed by now....
Steve, with what firmware your NF is operating? I wonder if I have the same problem...
L
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Luben,

It is not my nano in question. I did ask the audio op which version of the firmware they are using, but he wasn't able to tell me at the time. I'm still waiting on a response from them to see if Billy's info was any help to them.

Thanks,
Steve
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Hello Steve,
Yes, my bad! I was thinking something else about the NF when I was typing. Your correct.
Cheers
Luben
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #7
New Boot

I was hoping this issue would be fixed by now too. At the moment, in order to deliver files to editing in the approved format, DVCPro50 (SD), I have to import all files from the nanoflash into FCP on my laptop, then modify the two audio tracks, panning one left, the other right, then re-export as one giant clip. I then put the footage through MPEG Streamclip in order to convert the files to DVCPro50. It’s quite a tedious process. I could convert them in FCP during the re-export but I find the pictures a lot softer than those produced by MPEG StreamcIip. It’s actually far quicker if I’m in a hurry, which I usually am, to ignore the nano, and take files off my EX3’s MxM cards instead. No panning issues with these files. So I can skip the import to FCP entirely and go straight to MPEG StreamcIip to convert the files to DVCPro50.

I’m really looking forward to this rather strange need to pan quirk to be fixed!
Richard Corfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey