DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Anton Bauer D-Tap Plug (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/478646-anton-bauer-d-tap-plug.html)

Jim Bridges May 13th, 2010 12:17 PM

Anton Bauer D-Tap Plug

I have gone through 2 of these power cables in 3 month's at $70 ea., anyone having issues?!?

Bruce Rawlings May 13th, 2010 02:58 PM

What do you been by "gone through"?

Andrew Stone May 13th, 2010 07:11 PM

You mean the Anton Bauer D-Tap (PTap) to the Hirose connector cable that can power the NanoFlash?

I'm using a D-Tap cable to power my NanoFlash and it has been fine under fairly heavy use. I assume your cable is developing a short somewhere.

-Andrew

Dan Keaton May 13th, 2010 09:26 PM

Dear Jim,

We will be happy to replace your cables, or repair them.

In fact, we would like to analayze them to determine what is failing.

Jim Bridges May 15th, 2010 07:13 AM

Sounds good Dan,
Where do I send them?

Dan Keaton May 16th, 2010 08:53 AM

Dear Jim,

I have sent you a private email.

Scott Stoneback May 17th, 2010 10:41 PM

related question

I am experiencing random power dropouts on the nano. I am using a dtap cable. I cannot figure out the cause... it is not the obvious, a bad connection at the hirose end or the dtap end. Jiggle those around and everything is fine.

One odd behavior I have noticed is the Nano not powering up when the sdi cable is not connected, but it will power once the metal of the bnc touches the nano. The Dtap is connected to the v-mount plate's AB dtap socket. Any thoughts? I assume it is a grounding issue, but I am no electrician.

The nano seems to briefly lose power when the whole unit is moved around slightly... but I cannot reliably reproduce the problem. It has only happened at random intervals and I was never rolling... just happen to notice when I am powering up cam or while changing tapes, etc.

Tommy Schell May 18th, 2010 08:53 AM

Hi,

We may need to take a look at your cable. Are there any sharp bends in the cable? If you wiggle at the bend points, does that cause the power to cut in and out?
Or is it that just moving the nanoFlash (without the cable really moving) causes the power to cut out?

Tommy Schell
Convergent Design

Scott Stoneback May 20th, 2010 07:05 PM

Not sure

I don't seem to have too many sharp bends but there is one bend at the D-tap plug. I will check that out. Other than that, nothing obvious.

The hirose connection is loose feeling, but I don't get any drop in power when it is wiggled or pulled.

The way I mount the Nano on my HDX900 is via velcro onto the fabric of my Kata cover... the back of the camera cover, behind the battery. I plop it right on there and it is very secure and high enough not to cause cable problems underneath (like cables hitting the ground when the camera is set down).

I've only seen power dropout on random occasions and I cannot move anything one particular way, and replicate the problem. The power coming on or off depending on the BNC cable touching... that I can replicate everytime I remove the BNC from the Nano. If I power the Nano from a battery, directly, there is no problem with the BNC.

Steve Brown May 21st, 2010 09:38 AM

I have had a similar problem with one of my D-Tap cables. I experienced this mysterious "power-down" issue a couple of times, but I never got burned by it, fortunately. Upon close examination, I discovered that one of the cables has a problem at the Hirose connector. If I push in (towards the nano) while the unit is powered up, the power drops out... only takes a micro-second to power it down completely.

I have had this discussion with Dan Keaton... just haven't taken the time to send it in yet. So, try the test I described above... I wouldn't be surprised it it is the same issue.

Steve Brown June 25th, 2010 01:01 PM

Dan,

I sent you a private email a couple of days ago regarding my faulty D-Tap cable, but I never heard back... wondering if it got lost in your email inbox.

Where can I send my cable for repair/replacement?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Brown June 25th, 2010 05:44 PM

Dan,

Thanks for the offline reply. I'll send the cable as per your instructions!

Regards,
Steve