Another Warning About The Locked Files Created by Nano/XDR - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 18th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
Hello Aron,
I am sorry to hear about your issues you are having with locked files it must be very frustrating for you as others have pointed out it is really so easy to unlock files on the Mac. I use FCP and I can unlock the whole directory of CF files in five key strokes. I vote to keep the files locked and secure in case of accidental damage.
you're able to unlock files on a fat32 formatted cf card on a mac? Without downloading the files from the card? You unlock them while they are still on the cf card. Can you give me a step by step of how you do this?
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #17
Major Player

Hello Aaron,
I only unlock the files once they are copied over to the Mac. I open the folder and select all then unlock the 1st file and press the change all button then all the files are unlocked. I have not been able to change the sharing & permissions of the card to delete selected files from the CF card. This has not been an issue for me as I always carry extra cards while shooting and never delete or format cards on location. I wait until I return to base and have made a copy of the cards to my raid 1 drives before doing anything. That's just my work flow to overcome accidental erasure in the field.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

I just want to emphasize that we do not support deleting files on the CompactFlash card, then re-inserting the card into the Flash XDR or nanoFlash.

Instead, we request that the card be Formatted, in the unit, prior to recording.

The goal is to prevent file fragmentation, which severely slows down the write process.

Deleting files then re-inserting and using the card, without a Format in the Flash XDR or nanoFlash, may cause file corruption.
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #19
Trustee

No Re-Insertion Intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Friends,

I just want to emphasize that we do not support deleting files on the CompactFlash card, then re-inserting the card into the Flash XDR or nanoFlash.

Instead, we request that the card be Formatted, in the unit, prior to recording.

The goal is to prevent file fragmentation, which severely slows down the write process.

Deleting files then re-inserting and using the card, without a Format in the Flash XDR or nanoFlash, may cause file corruption.
...Hi Dan: Yes, true enough, however, I don't think it's the intention of anyone here to want to re-insert and then continue recording after turning off a locked file option. The whole premise here is that the cards would have all been blank, formatted in the Flash XDR or Nano ahead of time, recorded in the units *unlocked,* then removed and taken straight to post. (Aaron, correct me if I'm wrong here). I think we all have an intrinsic understanding that if such an option was available to us that we would not be heading back to the Nano or Flash XDR to continue shooting again without a total format *within the recorders themselves.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

I did not want anyone to mis-read the following quote and think that deletion of files from a card is an acceptable procedure. We discuss this in our manual, however not everyone reads the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
... This has not been an issue for me as I always carry extra cards while shooting and never delete or format cards on location.
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #21
Trustee

A Clarification

Quote:
Dear Mark,

I did not want anyone to mis-read the following quote and think that deletion of files from a card is an acceptable procedure. We discuss this in our manual, however not everyone reads the manual.
Hi Dan: Understood. No one should be trying to delete files from CF cards, then stick the cards back into a Nano or XDR and start shooting again without an entire format.

*However, I don't think this is the issue Aaron is discussing here at all - The issue is about recording locked files on the CF Cards themselves within the XDR or Nano and his agonies in post as the result of being unable to unlock the resulting recorded nano or XDR files to go into FCP.

EDIT: Not being able to unlock the files from the CF media itself
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

In Post #15, above, the last post on Page 1 of this thread, I stated that we are removing "all locking of files" in the next firmware release.
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #23
Trustee

Good News

Quote:
Dear Mark,

In Post #15, above, the last post on Page 1 of this thread, I stated that we are removing "all locking of files" in the next firmware release.
....Hi Dan: My apologies. I must have accidentally skipped past this particular post. OK. I'll go back and re-read. Sorry.
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #24
Major Player

Well the same goes for the Nexto DI then too. Scratch what I said about deleting files from CF cards since it's not supported. I can't delete files from the Nexto because of this silly locking issue.
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Dear Aaron,

Please help me understand your current feelings.

We have offered to remove all file locking in future firmware releases.

I feel that this would solve the problem for you, for both the nanoFlash's files, and for the files when they are on the Nexto.

Is there something I am missing?
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #26
Major Player

Hi Dan. Removing the locking feature or at least allowing users to turn it off WILL solve the problem.

What makes no sense is that the replies are leaning toward, "there is no problem" which isn't true. Those are where my replies are directed.

Once I'm able to record on the XDR without the files being locked, then this issue is closed for me and we can even lock this thread if you like. I have no idea when that will actually be though, if it is buried in the responses above, then sorry I missed it.
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Dear Aaron,

The removal of "file locking" has already been implemented and tested, it will be in the next release for both the nanoFlash and the Flash XDR.

We hope to release the next firmware in approximately two weeks or so.
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #28
Trustee

Encouraging Update Dan :-)

Quote:
Dear Aaron,

The removal of "file locking" has already been implemented and tested, it will be in the next release for both the nanoFlash and the Flash XDR.

We hope to release the next firmware in approximately two weeks or so.
...Hi Dan: Well, this reads as encouraging news. I look forward to the next release and I also hope other bug fixes, such as .MPG playback, Canon 24 F Jam Sync, and perhaps a possible higher data rate record option for I-Frame recording (???) may be there as well :-) You wrote in my other thread last week that you folks at CD were working on some stuff you thought I would like. I'm hoping for all the best Dan. This is all an end user ever hopes for :-) Thanks for your patience. I'm actually not trying to piss you off, but reporting is often a negative sort of perspective. (i.e. Always harping on what's *Not working). Sorry, can't hep that-Please expect more of the same ;-) Don't shoot beta messenger Mark ! :-) ;-)
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

We have made signifcant "under the hood" enhacements.

And we have made many visible enhancements:

1. 24p Sync should work for you now. This has been tested in Japan and they found it to be perfect.

2. A visible Red "Recording" bar at the bottom of any attached monitor while we are recording.
This is enabled via a menu option.

3. File Locking has been removed.

I believe that MPG playback has been fixed and there are many other enhancements, I just can not remember them all at this time.

Our top bit-rate for this release will be 280 Mbps I-Frame Only.
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #30
Trustee

Cool ! Cool ! Cool !

Hi Dan:
Looks very encouraging from here. I look forward to the new release.
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey