nanoFlash & MC 3.1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Trustee

nanoFlash & MC 3.1?

Simple ?, do nanoFlash files work w/ Media Composer 3.1 It does not have AMA.

Thanks much!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Trustee

Nano & Avid Media Composer

Hi Peter:
AMC will only work in MC 3.1 if you record at .MXF file setting at a file datavrate of no more than a maximum of 50 Mbps. If you choose to record in I-Frame (Intra) mode, then you can use higher data rates all the way up to 280 Mbps in MC 3.1. AMA will not work with version 3.1 and the Sony XDCAM HD 4:2:2 codec, which is what the Nano Flash uses.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Mark. Much appreciated.

May ask, how do you bring 280 I-frame files into MC 3.1? Fast import?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Trustee

Importing I-Frame 280 Mbps into Avid Media Composer

Hi Peter:
Direct import as a video file import (I don't know if it will be fast or not ?), but this will import directly into a bin in whatever project you setup for it.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:46 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Mark. BTW, there is a huge difference between a slow import and a fast import in MC. A slow import transcodes the media into a codec and format that MC can read, usually DNxHD wrapped by MXF. This can take a lot of time and cause a quality hit b/c of the transcode.

On the other hand, a fast import just rewraps the file into an MXF file or series of MXF files that MC can read natively. No transcode to a different codec, no quality hit and not much waiting.

Fast importing does not only depend on codec, e.g. choosing RGB color levels will always cause a slow import, even if the codec is supported natively by MC.

If a file is being fast imported, MC will say something along the lines of "fast importing video from QT." If it doesn't give this message, then it's slow importing.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:31 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Peter,

I did not jump in earlier to answer your question, as I am not an Avid export.

Also, I did not know the difference between a Slow Import and a Fast Import.

But now that you have explained the difference I can answer your question.

Here is what I know and I believe that you can do a Fast Import.

For simplicity and safety, we keep the video and audio tracks all together in one file.
........Simplicity: One only sees one file in our directory.
........Safety: One can not accidently separate the audio from the video by not copying all of the files.

I have always instructed our Avid users to use the Avid Import command, as opposed to just copying our files into a disk accessible to Avid.

When one uses the Avid inport command, our file is copied to the place where Avid is going to store to files. While doing so, during the file copy process (by Avid), Avid separates out and creates separate video and audio files for each track.

This is a fast process, not using your meaning, but meaning that since it is just a file copy with the added process of separating the video and audio into separate files, it does not take much longer than a straight file copy itself.

This Avid import process is not a transcode. No quality is lost by separating the streams into separate files.

I hope this helps.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM   #7
Trustee

Fast Import vs Slow Import

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
Hi Mark. BTW, there is a huge difference between a slow import and a fast import in MC.
...Hi Peter: Yes I know there is.

Quote:
A slow import transcodes the media into a codec and format that MC can read, usually DNxHD wrapped by MXF. This can take a lot of time and cause a quality hit b/c of the transcode.
...Yup. I know that Peter.

Quote:
On the other hand, a fast import just rewraps the file into an MXF file or series of MXF files that MC can read natively. No transcode to a different codec, no quality hit and not much waiting.
...Yup. I know that too.

Quote:
Fast importing does not only depend on codec, e.g. choosing RGB color levels will always cause a slow import, even if the codec is supported natively by MC.
...Yup.

Quote:
If a file is being fast imported, MC will say something along the lines of "fast importing video from QT." If it doesn't give this message, then it's slow importing.
..Yes indeed. Been there done that.

* I don't know why you're telling me this however. What did I miss ?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Trustee

Quite Correct & Even More Than This....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Peter,

I did not jump in earlier to answer your question, as I am not an Avid export.

Also, I did not know the difference between a Slow Import and a Fast Import.

But now that you have explained the difference I can answer your question.

Here is what I know and I believe that you can do a Fast Import.

For simplicity and safety, we keep the video and audio tracks all together in one file.
........Simplicity: One only sees one file in our directory.
........Safety: One can not accidently separate the audio from the video by not copying all of the files.

I have always instructed our Avid users to use the Avid Import command, as opposed to just copying our files into a disk accessible to Avid.

When one uses the Avid inport command, our file is copied to the place where Avid is going to store to files. While doing so, during the file copy process (by Avid), Avid separates out and creates separate video and audio files for each track.

This is a fast process, not using your meaning, but meaning that since it is just a file copy with the added process of separating the video and audio into separate files, it does not take much longer than a straight file copy itself.

This Avid import process is not a transcode. No quality is lost by separating the streams into separate files.

I hope this helps.
...Hi Dan: You are correct. Even more than this, Avid Media Composer will *NOT even transcode upon import your Sony XDCAM HD files even if you tell it to ! AMC is programmed *NOT* to transcode or re-compress the Sony XDCAM HD 4:2:2 codec. It will wrap it in am MXF container. Wether you get the same procedure if you drag and drop from Microsoft Windows' Explorer into a bin has been the subject of great, great debate on the avid community forums. I do believe that now with AMC version 5.x the behaviour is the same if you import via either route, *but not so if you use versions below 5.x.

**User's note. Once you have imported your Sony XDCAM HD 4:2:2 file into a Media Composer Project, then you can transcode it to your heart's content to whatever you want **After** it is n the system.
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #9
Trustee

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the info. I went into the detailed reply b/c of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Direct import as a video file import (I don't know if it will be fast or not ?)...
I took that to mean you didn't understand what I meant by "fast import." But obviously I misunderstood.

Thanks again for the help.
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #10
Trustee

You are Welcome

Hi Peter:
You're welcome :-) Glad to of been of some help to you :-)
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey