Noise comparison: 35/4:2:0 vs. 180/4:2:2 - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 14th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #136
Sponsor: Westside AV

Piotr,

Are you saying that the TC is 9/10 frames off in clips recorded on SxS and NF. When NF is set to use TC from the EX?

I know that the NF lags in starting up, but the TC for the individual frames match in my setup. I will recheck to make sure, if this is what you mean.
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #137
Inner Circle

Dear Olaf,

I believe that Piotr is saying that the file started 9 frames after the SxS file started.

The timecode on the frames will match exactly, as you have reported.

Piotr also said that the audio is one frame off, with firmware 1.5.126 under his test conditions.
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #138
Inner Circle

Olof,

Let us clarify: after TC alignment in Vegas, both clips' video is perfectly synchronized with a single frame precision and TC matched exactly. BUT:

I just aligned other 2 clips by TC, and now the nanoFlash clip (100/L-GoP) starts 23 frames later than its EX1 "original", and its audio is still 1 frame behind (i.e. lags by 24 frames behind the original - take a close look a the waveform peaks, e.g. right to where I placed the cursor).
Attached Thumbnails
Noise comparison: 35/4:2:0 vs. 180/4:2:2-lag.jpg  
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #139
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Olaf,

I believe that Piotr is saying that the file started 9 frames after the SxS file started.

The timecode on the frames will match exactly, as you have reported.

Piotr also said that the audio is one frame off, with firmware 1.5.126 under his test conditions.
Dear Dan,

Should we start another thread on this? This one is already very long, and complicated enough :)
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #140
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

Just as a camera with a tape deck, it takes time to start recording.

Your EX camera may also take time to start recording. I do not know if this is true or not, but you could test it by recording a clock with a sweep second hand.

When starting the nanoFlash via incrementing timecode, it takes us time to start recording.

It does appear, that in 1.5.126, the audio is off by one frame.

It is not appropriate to say that we our audio is out of sync by 24 frames.
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #141
Inner Circle

Quote:
Dear Piotr,

Just as a camera with a tape deck, it takes time to start recording.

Your EX camera may also take time to start recording. I do not know if this is true or not, but you could test it by recording a clock with a sweep second hand.

When starting the nanoFlash via incrementing timecode, it takes us time to start recording.
Dan - I said it's natural to me.

Quote:
It does appear, that in 1.5.126, the audio is off by one frame..
Am I to understand you confirm this officially? So, it's not just my unit - right?

Quote:
It is not appropriate to say that we our audio is out of sync by 24 frames.
I never said this - I only explained to Olof that while the NF video can lag as long as 23 frames behind the camera source, the audio seems to still be one more frame behind the video...
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #142
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

I am assuming that you meant to say "Frames" and not "Seconds".

I do not think that your nanoFlash is experiencing difficulties.

We put great effort into attempting to achieve perfect Audio/Video sync.
Surprising as it may seem, we have to ensure that it is right, for every mode/option, for every release that we build.

Based on your comments, it appears that we are off by one frame for your specific conditions.
We will work on this.

You are using 1.5.126. Our latest firmware that we sent out, a Public Beta, is 1.5.249.
We will be releasing new firmware soon. It will be 1.6.xxx.
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #143
Inner Circle

Dear Dan,

Sure thing - I meant frames, not seconds (correcting now).

Thanks for the information

Piotr
Old June 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #144
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

In our upcoming release, and (I believe) in the Public Beta 1.5.249, you will find that the delay before we start record has been drasticly reduced.

Also, the Audio/Video sync has been improved in our latest releases.

Our latest release 1.6.6 is in test. We will release it as soon was we finish testing it.
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #145
Major Player

Thanks Dan! That's great. A question to you please. My NF some how did slowdown after I upgraded to the new beta firmware. The slowdown is quite visible when booting and going through the menu. Going back to the Production firmware does not fix that problem. I am sure that this has happened.
Would you please comment on this.
Thank you
Luben
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #146
Inner Circle

Dear Dan,

Thanks for the information. I must admit that - having spent almost 2 months to make the previous Beta work with my specific CF cards - I didn't even load the current public Beta at all, after learning the Record Indicator doesn't work as expected :)

But of course I'm eagerly looking forward to the 1.6.6 version. By saying "the delay before we start record has been drastically reduced", you got me very interested to know:

- is the delay constant now?

The reason I'm asking this is that - as you have probably noticed - with the current firmware I've been getting delays varying considerably (like 9 - 23 frames); is it going to be more consistent now? Of course, we're still talking "Incrementing TC" trigger mode....

Thanks and Regards,

Piotr

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; June 15th, 2010 at 07:16 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #147
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

There are three main components in the nanoFlash.

1. The Sony Module, which performs the codec work, compression and decompression.

2. The FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array). This is an extremely fast device and does almost all of the work in the nanoFlash.

3. The Microprocessor. This is a relatively slow device, which does housekeeping, other tasks, and the human interface.

Previously, the Microprocessor was used to setup the nanoFlash for recording.

Now, the FPGA performs this task and it is much faster.

When the new release comes out, I suggest that you run your own tests, but I feel that it will be very consistent.
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #148
Inner Circle

Quote:
Dear Piotr,
Now, the FPGA performs this task and it is much faster.
Wow - this sounds like a serious progress, Dan.

Thanks!

Piotr
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #149
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

Yes, this is a serious improvement.
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #150
Major Player

question

Dear Dan,
I posted a question for you here and in Beta Firmware Thread. Would you please care to comment on it here or there please. Thank you
Luben Izov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey