Noise comparison: 35/4:2:0 vs. 180/4:2:2 - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 12th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #271
Trustee

Minus 3 DB Gain On Canon XL H1

Hi Gints & Adam:
In my visual testing & experimentation, I have noticed a slight decrease in overall noise if I shoot exteriors at -3 db gain.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #272
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
(It would be best if the VBR files work in every NLE. If not, then we would be creating a "trap" in which a user could select an option, but then his or her files would not work in their NLE.)
This should be up to the user. We already have the trap of shimmering MPEG at 140-180 Mbps. I want 140 or 180 Mbps LongGOP VBR exceed the quality of 220-280 Mbps I-Frame only. Besides, after reckoning with the Force of the Flash, NLE's will be scrambling to add new Nano/XDR file compatibility to their editing suites ASAP. The Nano is unleashing a slew of scalable recording options.

It wasn't too long ago (pre-2008) that nearly all major news networks would refuse downloading my DV (.avi) and HDV (.m2t) files and instead insisted on my writing the clips/concatenations to tape to be sent via Overnight Fedex. Some then lost 1/2 to a full day sending my tapes to a conversion house so that they can be written to yet another tape.

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; August 13th, 2010 at 12:37 AM.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #273
Trustee

Quote:
If not, then we would be creating a "trap" in which a user could select an option, but then his or her files would not work in their NLE.
And since the user is most likely a pro, he would much rather have the "trappy" option available than be treated like someone who does not needs to be protected from himself.

I mean how is it different from having manual focus available? We know what we are doing, and when there is something we do not know, we are willing to learn it. If we were scared of such traps, we would be using $130 camcorders.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #274
Inner Circle

Dear Fiends,

My comment was not meant to be condescending.

My comment was directed to the fact that we want our nanoFlash to be a reliable recording device.

I hope everyone will realize that many crews do not own a nanoFlash, and they receive it the morning of the shoot, or the day before. Quite often they are not in a position to record files and test them in their NLE and workflow. Others, of course, have time to learn the nanoFlash.

Of course we do not want to "dumb down" the nanoFlash.

In an ideal world, we would just test VBR, and it would work, be better, and be accepted in every NLE without problems. We have not run these tests yet.

Another thing that we have considered is adding an "Advanced Settings" menu area, and a way to quickly set all "Advanced Settings" to the defaults.

We are also working on Profiles which will help in this area.

The current standard for Sony XDCam footage is 50 Mbps 4:2:2 CBR. This is what is accepted by the NLE's that support XDCAM footage.

CS5 officially supports other bit rates that we offer.

The Mainconcept Codec for Adobe CS3 and CS4 adds support for all of our modes and bit-rates and we greatly appreciate their efforts to support our products.

Final Cut Pro and others only suppport Sony XDCam footage at 50 Mbps 4:2:2 CBR.
Thus, we label our higher bit-rate footage, such as our 280 Mbps footage, as 50 Mbps so that FCP will recognize it.

Our engineers feel that we we cannot label VBR footage as CBR in the file header. They feel that the footage will not work if we do. We, at this moment, have not run this test.

In our next release, our MPG footage will be VBR. We just made that change.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; August 13th, 2010 at 05:32 AM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #275
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
I'm not sure if you're implying that the Sony noise level is less at Gain=-3dB, but there are a number of posts on the Sony XDCAM group that -3dB does not provide a higher SNR - only a signal attenuated by 3 dB.
That's what I mean, Gints - sorry if was unclear.
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #276
Major Player

Quote:
Another thing that we have considered is adding an "Advanced Settings" menu area, and a way to quickly set all "Advanced Settings" to the defaults.
Sounds like a good idea. Or you could offer an optional VBR firmware update that is not recommended for rental units along with an explanation. That way a pro who wanted VBRs could choose to download the VBR enabled firmware and would be well aware of the consequences.

That would protect the naive and enable the wise.
Old August 13th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #277
Inner Circle

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your suggestion.
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #278
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage View Post
Sounds like a good idea. Or you could offer an optional VBR firmware update that is not recommended for rental units along with an explanation. That way a pro who wanted VBRs could choose to download the VBR enabled firmware and would be well aware of the consequences.

That would protect the naive and enable the wise.
I'll second that.
I suspect many here do not understand what it can be like for a rental company.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #279
Trustee

Port Over VBR to XDR Too ?

Quote:
Dear Fiends,
...Hi Dan: Could we also have that advanced menu and VBR *Option* ported to the XDR ?
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #280
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

Yes.

I need to clarify. We have three file types: MOV, MXF, and MPG.

We have enabled VBR for MPG only.

I doubt that you are using MPG, but maybe you are.
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #281
Trustee

Sometimes I used It To Make Quick Blu_ray DVD's

Hi Dan:
Yes, I do use .MPG feature (Which was busted for playback in the XDR BTW - I haven't tested that long duration .MPG playback lately). I use .MPG recording to make quick industrial Kiosk Blu-ray DVD's. It works *very well btw.
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #282
Inner Circle

Quote:
I need to clarify. We have three file types: MOV, MXF, and MPG.

We have enabled VBR for MPG only.
Dan, the interest in Constant Quality MPEG2 and VBR is heating up. So, you already provide VBR for MPG (I haven't used that) recording ?
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #283
Inner Circle

Quote:
Missed this gem. Really ? I'm willing to test the alpha/beta/whatever.
Old August 13th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #284
Trustee

What about the I-Frame & Long GOP Footage being in VBR ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
Missed this gem. Really ? I'm willing to test the alpha/beta/whatever.
...Hey Gints: I thought the point of this exercise would be to offer the *option for us end users to be able to engage VBR encoding when shooting Long GOP and I - Frame ? In my opinion, this is what I think needs to happen. (Although it's always great to have this on .MPG setting, but let's be real - How many of us will do any real big work in .MPG setting ?)
Old August 13th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #285
Inner Circle

Mark, agreed. I'm just anxious to find out if a VBR implementation will reduce the LongGOP shimmering that started this thread.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey