HV40 and EX1 with nanoFlash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Major Player

HV40 and EX1 with nanoFlash

Moderator Note: First 5 posts of this thread were off-topic in http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...0-4-2-2-a.html and moved to create this new thread.

Hello all,
Very nice discussion going on here. I would like to introduce you to the HV40 with NF shooting at 140Mbps 4:2:2. The samples below are from the same object, different angle, shot simultaneously on Sony EX1 35 Mbps 4:2:0 and HV40 with NF 140Mbps 4:2:2. All shot at 24fps, all used White Balance from WhiBal with same light for both cameras.
You would see that HV40 was zoomed slightly more then EX1. I do not know the settings of Sony EX1.
Attached Thumbnails
HV40 and EX1 with nanoFlash-ex1_100.jpg   HV40 and EX1 with nanoFlash-hv40_100.jpg  

HV40 and EX1 with nanoFlash-ex1-600-.jpg   HV40 and EX1 with nanoFlash-hv40_nf-600-.jpg  

Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Trustee

Luben,

To my eye the HV-40 looks darn good. But b/c the EX1 is exposed lighter, zoomed in a little less and jpg compression has been introduced to the equation, it becomes difficult to tell.

From YOUR point of view, what are you seeing when you examine native EX1 footage vs HV-40 nanoFlash footage? And how do you see nanoFlash HV-40 footage vs native HDV HV-40 footage?

Thanks much!

Last edited by Peter Moretti; June 2nd, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Canon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
Luben,

To my eye the HV-40 looks darn good. But b/c the EX1 is expsed lighter, zoomed a little less and jpg compression has been introduced to the equation, it becomes difficult to tell.

From YOUR point of view, what are you seeing when you examine native EX1 footage vs HV-40 nanoFlash footage? And how do you see nanoFlash HV-40 footage vs native HDV HV-40 footage?

Thanks much!
Hello Peter,
Yes, Canon HV40 with NF is a killer, just like any other 2009/10 prosumer camera with HDMI in/out. HV40 has so many useful features and is so small it could be taken anywhere without causing trouble as big cameras does.
I am sorry about the bad quality of the 600% blowup images, but, what I wanna show here is the difference of 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 with Canon HV40. Its huge even on small camera as Canon HV40 and when shot with high bit rate like 140/180 GOP (on day light) its even better.
On other hand native HDV from Canopn HV40 is very good on its on! The only problem is that would not pass quality control for any broadcast TV in Canada/USA. Thanks to CD with NF we used Canon HV40 with NF for our Documentary in India. People (DOP's) has been amazed and shocked of the picture quality of the HV40 with NF. We run tape as a backup on HV40 and now when we look at tape and NF files and EX1 files you simply could not mistake the origin of all the files. Thanks for the questions Peter
Cheers
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Trustee

Peter, IMHO, the EX1 footage appears brighter because it has far more dynamic range than the HV40. Look at the blown highlights in both.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:55 PM   #5
Trustee

Steve, there is an exposure difference, I'd say by over a stop. I also brought the files into my NLE and checked them on the vectorscope and RGB parade. BTW, the EX1 has more blown out highlights than the HV-40. The HV-40 looks just about perfectly exposed. It also looks like there is a difference in the gamma settings used for each camera.

What's really cool/interesting in addition is that the HV-40 was mounted upsided down!? LOL! It looks like an external monitor was mounted on the tripod hole and the camera was mounted to the tripod via the hotshoe. (No, I can't tell from looking at the scopes :P; you can see the HV-40 in one of the EX-1 shots.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey