Macroblocking and HC9 with Nano at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old June 13th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Macroblocking and HC9 with Nano

Hello,

I'm shooting an independent feature next year and I'm thinking of shooting with a Nanoflash to record it in Long GOP, 50 mbit/s MXF files (or possibly 100 mbit/s). It's going to be shot on my Z7U (24p pull down to 60i) and a few POV shots on my HDR-HC9 (60i).

I believe I understand the different possible settings on the Nanoflash. The reason I chose the listed compression, bitrate and file type is because I would like archive the footage on Sony Professional Disks in the proper file system (or as data in 100 mbit/s if needed) (any higher bitrate, storage cost becomes an issue) and I will edit on CS5.

Two Questions:

1) The feature won't have any cinematography too extraordinary or drastic. And I understand that 100 mbit/s is the sweet spot for Long GOP, but has anyone EVER experienced macroblocking at 50 mbit/s? At 100 mbit/s?

2) Has anyone used a HC9 with the Nanoflash before, and can confirm that the signal coming out of the HDMI is uncompressed and usable by the Nanoflash? I can't find that info on this site nor on the web nor in the HC9 manual, concerning the HDMI.

Thank you.
William Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi!

1/ MPEG2 4.2.2 @ 50MB/s is a broadcast standard now so I doubt there is macroblocking at this bitrate. However, personnaly, I've chosen a compromise: 80MB/s which is a bit better than 50MB/s and saves you 20% of disk space from 100MB/s.

2/ I had to use the HDMI output of a Sony CX-550 with the Nano with very good results. I think HDMI output delivers real 4.2.2 uncompressed HD. I doubt there have been changes in HDMI output format between HC9 and CX-550. I also used the NanoFlash with a Canon HV20, which is as old as the HC9 I think, and the picture quality from the HDMI output was much more better than HDV.
Old June 15th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you.

Thank you, Ronan, for taking the time to share your experience. It makes my decision a lot easier.

Sincerely,

William
William Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

William,

Macroblocking is visible even at higher bitrates for demanding scenes, and the Nanoflash will help reduce it with higher bitrates. I posted an example (search for Elephant Seals) with breaking ocean waves that showed macroblocking for both 35 MB SxS and 100 MB Nano. Although you have to search the stills for the macroblocking, it is easier to see on the continuous video.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey