Flash XDR Next Firmware Release? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #31
Trustee

Trying to be patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic van Oudtshoorn View Post
I am starting to seriously doubt this. Please surprise me with an update, not more promises!!!!!!
Hey Nic: I feel you ! I'm trying very hard to be patient.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #32
Trustee

XDR Firmware Update When ?

Dear Dan:
Could we XDR users please get an update on a (possible ?) firmware release ?
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

Yes.

1. The next Flash XDR release is currently going through quality control testing.

2. We will release it as soon as possible.

3. It has been in-test for some time now and if we do not find any problems we expect to release it this week.

4. It is our goal to release this Flash XDR release prior to the next nanoFlash release.

5. We are also testing a new nanoFlash release simultaneously.

If we find a problem with the Flash XDR release that is not in the nanoFlash release, then the nanoFlash release may be posted first.

6. This next Flash XDR release will bring the Flash XDR up to the same feature level as the nanoFlash, taking into consideration the hardware differences between the two units.
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #34
Trustee

Thank You

Dear Dan:
OK. Thanks for the update. I will be looking forward to this release.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:10 AM   #35
Major Player

Any news on XDR firmware release?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:04 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Dear John,

We have held this up for a short while to include some more features.

We have been working on supporting Canon's XF cameras. This is the major project that we have not discussed before.

With the new release, one can record a CompactFlash card in one of the new Canon's cameras and play it out via the Flash XDR or nanoFlash.

The nanoFlash or Flash XDR can be used as the deck for the new Canon's cameras.

We are finishing up "Hot Swapping" for both the nanoFlash and Flash XDR.

And we are adding configuration files (profiles).

We have added Image Flip (Vertical), Image Flop (Horizontal) and Image Flip+Image Flop.

And, of course, the Flash XDR firmware has been brought up to the level of the nanoFlash.

The code is looking real good and our current plans are to release this code next Friday, October 1, 2010.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; September 23rd, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:16 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Very nice, Dan!

How about the Power Save mode?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:39 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Dear Piotr,

Sorry, but no, not yet.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #39
Major Player

Thanks Dan for the update on the XDR.

I can only imagine the headaches of deciding when to release a firmware update/upgrade.

... "ok, we're good to go - wait, looks like feature xxx is solid - maybe we should wait with releasing the firmware and include feature xxx .... wait, maybe we can synch the nano and xdr firmware releases again .... wait, we need to be sure we run the battery of testing one more time ... etc,etc"

Thanks for keeping the XDR firmware in the loop.

And bring back the XDR as an available model - definitely has it's advantages. With the large new CF cards, who needs hot swapping with a 4 slot XDR ; > } just a joke - don't flame me
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #40
Trustee

I'm Looking Forward to this Firmware Update

Hi Dan:
I am so looking forward to this new update ! I agree with John, but I'm actually serious ;-) !
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #41
Trustee

XDR Firmware Update Questions

Hi Dan:
I have observed the Time Code display intermittently blinks off and on at a very fast rate between the message "NO TIME CODE," and displaying the running numbers. The TC signal is actually there in the video file itself, because Avid says it is, but upon playback in the XDR , the running TC display blinks of and on. It's really annoying and it makes it impossible to read. This anomaly is not present during the Record process. Is there a fix for this in the upcoming XDR release ?

Thanks,
Old September 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

This is due to a quirk in our firmware.

We are displaying the timecode (during playback), and displaying the fact that we are not receiving timecode from a camera or other timecode source.

But, since the Flash XDR or nanoFlash is playing back, we really do not need to be connected to a camera, nor need the timecode input to be present.

Thus, while the message is accurate, it is not really necessary.
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #43
Trustee

Time Code Playback Quirk

Hi Dan:
OK. Understood. This makes sense. Is there any way to correct this ?
Old September 28th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Dear Mark,

We will have to change the firmware so it only puts out this message during recording.

But, at this time, this is a reasonble way to determine that the unit is not receiving timecode, and thus not ready to record (if timecode is important).

Of course, this was not planned, it is just an accident as far as I know.
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #45
Trustee

Blinking Time Code Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
But, at this time, this is a reasonble way to determine that the unit is not receiving timecode, and thus not ready to record (if timecode is important).
...I don't follow you. (??) During record my XDR auto locks to the incoming TC and video frame signals being fed to it from my Canon XL-H1. If, for any reason, I lose either the LTC input signal, or the HD-SDI video input signal, then I automatically receive an error indication on the XDR menu screen, and my XDR will not go into record mode until this condition is repaired. I'm not sure I follow you why you need to TC display to *Blink* rapidly upon playback ??? In fact, I am happy to report that the TC display is normal during all record procedures as I stated before. I literally have to look away from the TC display when I playback takes for the producer, since this rapid blinking nearly gives me an epileptic seizure if I look at it too long ! If there's anything which could be done about this, then I would be most appreciative. Also, I hope something can be done for the excellent XDR display window menu script size. I really like the XDR's menu design, but I'm having a great deal of difficulty reading the display, as the characters are very small. I know this may sound like nit picking, but I have found this to be a big deal in production situations when I have to make a menu setting changes rapidly on the spot. I hope you can understand this ?
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey