Issue Sharing CF Cards Between nano and DSLR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 1st, 2010, 04:58 AM   #1
New Boot

Issue Sharing CF Cards Between nano and DSLR

When I added a DSLR to my arsenal of HD cameras recently I was pleased to realize that that my supply of 32GB Extreme III CF cards could be shared between my nanoFlash and my Canon EOS 7D. ---- OR SO I THOUGHT! I soon discovered that once cards had been formatted for Canon EOS use they subsequently continued to be identified as "Canon EOS" despite having been reformatted on my nanoFlash. This seems to confuse both of my macs running Snow Leopard. One result seems to be that files recorded to the {CLP} folder on these cards appear with random symbols rather than file numbers and are identified by the computer as alias. File size registers as zero, in terms of available capacity the computer reads the card as blank and the files are non-transferrable. When I plug CF card back into nanoFlash is reads as full and files can be viewed via SDI. It seems that the Canon is creating some sort of invisible partition which is rendering the actual nanoFlash files invisible. I have erased CF cards using Apple's Disk Utility which has had some success in easing the situation but has not solved problem entirely. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'd really prefer not to have to segregate media between nanoFlash and DSLR. There are only so many bits, bobs and cables I can keep track of.
Stephen McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Convergent Design

Hi Stephen-
We'll set and test this scenario in our lab. We are making some file management adjustments for the new Canon XF cameras, so we could roll this "issue" into our analysis. These hidden and extra files that other devices (particularly MACs) are a real pain. But, we just have to tolerate these "gifts" from other devices.

Best-
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Trustee

Mike, it's not just the Mac. If you import files to Sony Vegas directly from the card, Vegas will write a file with extension ".sfk" into the directory where the file is. A real pain that is, as that renders the card unusable in the nF unless it is reformatted.

I have worked around this nuisance by copying the files to my hard disk, but that is not always a good solution.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Canon XF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
Hi Stephen-
We'll set and test this scenario in our lab. We are making some file management adjustments for the new Canon XF cameras, so we could roll this "issue" into our analysis. These hidden and extra files that other devices (particularly MACs) are a real pain. But, we just have to tolerate these "gifts" from other devices.

Best-
Hi Mike - can you expand on what the tie-in with the canon cameras is?

Thanks

Dave
Dave Chalmers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey