NanoFlash Camera Mounts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 15th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Major Player

NanoFlash Camera Mounts

Looking for a sturdy mount to mount a Nano Flash to a Z5 camera. The hotshoe on the camera is already taken up. Is there anyway of mounting it under the camera in something like a JimmyBox or anywhere else? THX
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear John,

We have designed a new mount for th nanoFlash.

It is designed as an almost universal mount.

We will post some pictures as soon as possible.
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, I have had a problem mounting it on my new Sony PMW 350K, so much so that although I have had it for 2 weeks I am yet to record a single nanoflash image, fearing the unit might fall off! These (great) cameras don't come with a hot shoe mount but just a bare "landing pad" at the front with a female screw thread.

My supplier sent a clip-on mount with hot shoe that goes over the handle, I then attached a manfrotto
(something!) mount to screw into the nanoflash, all fine up to there. BUT with the 350 it then obscures 2 assignable buttons on the top of the handle and in any case the manfrotto mount has its own issues. The bottom line is that it really needs to go either in the dedicated female thread I mentioned (maybe with a double male thread adaptor which would keep the profile lower) or at least to a standard hot shoe mount that Sony should have supplied in the first place!

But then I hear rumors around here that nanoflash themselves might have some sort of bracket solution , but does that apply to far-flung places like here in Australia? in other words how hard are they to get hold of if you're not living in downtown New York (or Boulder)?
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Chris,

nanoFlash.net has a custom bracket for mounting the nanoFlash on the PMW-350 and other similar cameras.

Go to the Mounting Options page, then scroll down to see the bracket.
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tangey View Post
Yes, I have had a problem mounting it on my new Sony PMW 350K, so much so that although I have had it for 2 weeks I am yet to record a single nanoflash image, fearing the unit might fall off! These (great) cameras don't come with a hot shoe mount but just a bare "landing pad" at the front with a female screw thread.
While you're waiting to purchase a new mount (IDX makes one too) you could always try some industrial strength velcro on the back of the your brick batteries and nano. Simple, cheap and works well...except in super humid environs where the adhesive on the velcro backing can fail. I've used this method repeatedly and haven't had a nano drop off yet.

Cheers,
Eric Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Chris,

nanoFlash.net has a custom bracket for mounting the nanoFlash on the PMW-350 and other similar cameras.

nanoFlash.net managed to get a mounting kit over to me here in Southport (the original one) in about three days via Fedex, so Alice should be a doddle !

The basis of the kit is a tripod plate, which screws onto the bottom of the camera, in my case a Canon XLH1. The nanoFlash mounting bar(s) attach to this tripod plate.

nanoFlash.net actually include tripod plates for EX1, EX3 and XLH1 in the kit. You may wish to check that there is a suitable tripod plate for your particular camera,

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Chris,

Dan, Thanks for that and we all appreciate the extra mile that nanoflash go for their customers with things like this. I've had a look and I'm sure it will be great, but I would really like an image that shows where it actually mounts to the camera body. I can't tell at all from the photo. There are a line of what seem to be female screw holes between the battery and the wireless receiver, is that it? if so, I presume you supply the screws? Also I'm sure you've allowed for all battery brands and sizes, but mine are Swits, all ok on those?

Thanks

Chris
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Chris,

I am sorry, but I do not have a picture or other information.

I have emailed Olof, who should be able to answer your questions.
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #9
Sponsor: Westside AV

I have been on a long shoot in the south, so I have not kept up with this Forum. I got Dans email.

Here are two photos of my bracket setup for the Z5U, NanoFlash.net has this kit for online ordering. I suggest you also order a 90 degree BNC connector from NanoFlash.net.

I also have a bracket for the 350/320/800 and 900's, shown in the third and fourth photos. They mount behind the wireless mic dropin slot, and allows the mounting of the NanoFlash behind the battery. It can be ordered with the optional wing as well. All mounting screws and thumbscrew that holds the NF are part of the kit.

If you have any further questions, you can contact me.
Attached Thumbnails
NanoFlash Camera Mounts-z5u1.jpg   NanoFlash Camera Mounts-z5u2.jpg  

NanoFlash Camera Mounts-3501.jpg   NanoFlash Camera Mounts-3502.jpg  

Old July 17th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Olof.

My main question to you would be are the screws included? (I'm sure they are)
I have now already ordered your mount and I was only thinking this morning about getting a short BNC lead made up for it. I wish I had have known about the right-angle BNC before I ordered the bracket, anyway I might be able to catch it in time to have it included. Thanks for the work you put into these things!
Old July 17th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #11
Sponsor: Westside AV

Chris, all the screws, screwdriver and allen wrench for mounting the bracket to your camera are included.

The 90 degree BNC fitting is a very common item. Most electronic stores carry them. Make sure it is 75 ohm (not 50) if you buy one locally.
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

I have spoken with Mr. Rick Kelly of nanoFlash.net.

The mounts for the EX1/EX3/XL H1 and other similar cameras, as shown in the top photos by Olof will now automatically include a 90 degree true 75 Ohm BNC adapter, as recommended by Olof.

This adapter will be included at no additional cost.
Old July 18th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks Dan, also Olof and Rick.

I am new to nanoflash but had heard about its outstanding attention to detail and customer support, I think if this keeps up we have to change "outstanding" to "legendary". I haven't even mentioned the private advice Dan has been providing by email as well, for Pro product support I would have to say that so far it is up there with the best I've come across, well done!
Old July 18th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much!

You kind comments made my day!
Old July 25th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #15
Regular Crew

PMW 350 mount disappointing

After my recent post I had to really think hard about whether I should post this here, or contact those who made and supplied this bracket privately. I decided to do so here because ultimately I need to be honest with all forum members and make sure that those considering purchasing the PMW 350 mount have all the facts. I must say it was difficult to judge what the bracket was actually like from the supplied low res picture.

First issue is the most important, this mount requires you to unscrew it each time you change battery. Some sort of locking hinge with a flip-up function would have made it much more useable. Secondly none of the 4 screws supplied (which you wiil be juggling a lot) have a function that allows them to be locked in with the bracket when required, in other words all 4 are always separate and loose when the bracket is off the camera, and as you are handling all four each time you change a battery the chances of losing any one of them is high, particularly when doing so in the field. Thirdly, the screws don't even have the same head so you will need to juggle not just the 4 screws, but also an allen key and a phillips head screwdriver as well (supplied) EVERY TIME you change battery. By the way, the two outer screws don't even seem to fit the female thread in the camera anyway. I have tried repeatedly to screw them in but have now given up. Another smaller issue is that if you have the inbuilt wireless receiver it becomes slower and more difficult again as turning the allen key is much more fiddly in that tight area.

I would suggest this on/off procedure will be difficult for those shooting TVCs, documentaries. music videos etc. but if, like me, you are also an ENG Camera person it is just not a viable procedure when you need to quickly get another battery on camera.

I have decided to now use the supplied stick-on velcro pads on the back of a battery pack, but I doubt if the glue on them will even last a single summer here in the desert. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
but it seems, considering the freight costs to Australia, I've bought myself a rather expensive bit of bent metal.
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey