DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   nanoFlash for Playout - settings..? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/482208-nanoflash-playout-settings.html)

Tobias Becker July 21st, 2010 11:00 AM

nanoFlash for Playout - settings..?

Hello,

in case this has been answered before if somebody could point me to that threat that would be great; using the search in this forum I could not find anything similar.

Why we are using the nanoFlash as playout is not so much the point I want to discuss here. I do use purpose designed playout equipment often and I do know that the nanoFlash is not intended to be used primarily as a playout device in a live event.
If the budget does not allow for a proper playback system (or two of them) then nano is still better than playing no videos or having no backup at all ;-)

What I have tried so far:

Approach 1:
- Recording the main formats I'm playing back with the nanoFlash (525i59.54, 625i50, 720p50, 1080i50), then importing these files into Final Cut Pro 6 / 7 and let FCP match the sequence settings.
- Remove the test clip and put the desired output file in the timeline
- Export Quicktime Movie at "Current settings"
- Move the resulting .mov file with the finder on the CF card, stick it into the nF, Playback the file in the nF menu
- Output stays black, the output format on the nF display is displayed as 480p59 (no matter what the format actually is, e.g. different frame rate or different resolution always = 480p59), but it is still black. There is no sync on the devices connected to the output like an AJA Converter (green light for discovered, valid (HD-)SDI-Signal) or the ImagePro HD ("no input")

Approach 2:
- Dragging the files generated in Approach 1 into Compressor 3.5 which is supposed to have a "compression recognition engine" to build presets by encoded files > it crashed, no matter what format I use..

Approach 3:
- Generate .mov files with Episode Encoder Pro with the according XDCAM HD422 * (50 Mbit/s) format with the * being the framerate / resolution required (525i59.54, 625i50, 720p50, 1080i50)
- Same results than in Approach 1.

Approach 4: Taking the HD files from Approach 1 and using the FileConverter tool from CD.
> Worked! But only with HD files and I need to rewrite the files after exporting them from FCP..

Other comments:
- Tried to find the differences between the files with MediaInfo. I would always have several differences between the files I create and the file the tool from CD creates.
- I played with the audio and made it 2x 24bit as this was what came off the nF. No difference in the result..
- SD mov files with the right codec (XDCAM HD422) would give an error in the tool from CD. What I end up using is an HD file with the framerate I need (e.g. 1080i59.94) and then connecting an AJA HD-SD converter (to create 525i59.94).

What I would like to do:
Generate the files using either Final Cut Export Quicktime Movie / Export Quicktime Conversion / Export Compressor. After the rendering is done there is no further step required, just dragging the files with the finder to the flash card and inserting the card into the nanoFlash.
I'm willing to use a tool / plugin like MXF4Mac etc. if that is what it takes.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Andy Mangrum July 22nd, 2010 03:27 PM

NanoFlash Playback

Hello Tobias,
This is Andy with Convergent Design, I think your overall simplest way to accomplish what you need is if you had a Black Magic Video Card, or any Video Card that you could play out SDI from your Mac. This would allow you to Rerecord your finished Timeline from Final Cut Pro, in the format you desire, and then playback would be solid.

We suggestion to use the CD converter tool available on our website for copying files back onto a CF Card, using the "non-fragment copy" due to Mac OS can fragment files during the copy process.

Downloads | Convergent Design | Professional Video Recorders and Converters

Either way, It should work seamlessly with the nano Flash, as well as there shouldn't too much re-compression. with this method.

Tim Kolb July 22nd, 2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Mangrum (Post 1551193)
I think your overall simplest way to accomplish what you need is if you had a Black Magic Video Card, or any Video Card that you could play out SDI from your Mac. This would allow you to Rerecord your finished Timeline from Final Cut Pro, in the format you desire, and then playback would be solid. .

I'd second that. It's what those of us on PC do when we have to get back to a KiPro...

AJA makes the IO Express, which is a smaller box...

I don't know enough about Matrox or BM's product lines to know which product you should be looking at...

Ronald Jackson July 22nd, 2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Mangrum (Post 1551193)
Hello Tobias,
This is Andy with Convergent Design, I think your overall simplest way to accomplish what you need is if you had a Black Magic Video Card, or any Video Card that you could play out SDI from your Mac. This would allow you to Rerecord your finished Timeline from Final Cut Pro, in the format you desire, and then playback would be solid.

We suggestion to use the CD converter tool available on our website for copying files back onto a CF Card, using the "non-fragment copy" due to Mac OS can fragment files during the copy process.

Either way, It should work seamlessly with the nano Flash, as well as there shouldn't too much re-compression. with this method.

Which particular Download Andy?

Ron

Lance Librandi July 23rd, 2010 08:00 AM

Hi Guys,
I use the Nanoflash as a feeder and recorder to my Tricaster for live events. I have used FCP to output the finished timeline to the Nanoflash using FileConverter it works well. I dual record my presentations to the Tricaster and the Nanoflash so should I have a hardware failure I am able to still complete the presentation. I have now found it's just as quick and easy to record to the Nanoflash and Tricaster via SDI with little to no quality loss in vision.

Andy Mangrum July 23rd, 2010 09:22 AM

File Converter from Quciktime to MXF

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson (Post 1551305)
Which particular Download Andy?

Ron

Hey Ron,

Sorry if I did not specify

File Converter 1.5 (Mac), XDCAM EX / XDCAM 422, Quicktime MOV to MXF[.zip, 200 K] [posted 12-Apr-10]

Found on our Downloads Page

would be the link that you are looking for

-Andy

Cees van Kempen January 30th, 2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobias Becker (Post 1550779)
Hello,

- Output stays black, the output format on the nF display is displayed as 480p59 (no matter what the format actually is, e.g. different frame rate or different resolution always = 480p59), but it is still black.

What I do is exporting my timeline in FCP with Quicktime as a XDCAM 422 file. The size of the file is much smaller than the elsewhere stated 30GB. I copy it to a CF card using the CD file converter. As far as I can see this is the procedure to follow. However, I also get the 480p59 indication in the NF display and no picture on the screen. Where do I go wrong?

Dan Keaton January 30th, 2011 09:40 PM

Dear Cees,

Are you attempting to use our File Converter for an HD or SD file?

At this time, late Sunday night, I think that our File Converter only supports HD files.

I can check in the morning.

Cees van Kempen January 31st, 2011 02:11 AM

dear Dan,

It is a HD file, 1920 x 1080.

Cees

Dan Keaton January 31st, 2011 08:31 AM

Dear Cees,

Are you using our latest version of the File Converter, version 1.6?

I will have our Support Department contact you.

Cees van Kempen January 31st, 2011 09:01 AM

Dear Dan,

I downloaded the file converter this weekend, so it will be the latets version. I will just wait for your Support Department. There is no real pressure, just want to get it working.

Cees

Tommy Schell January 31st, 2011 09:44 AM

Hi,

if you have originally recorded nanoFlash material that you wish to copy to a CF card for playing on the nanoFlash:
> you can use the "non-fragmented copy" option out to a formatted CF card.

If you have material edited in Final Cut Pro:
> in FCP, export the footage File->Export->as Quicktime movie, with an XDCAM profile (preferably XDCAM 4:2:2)
(do not export as 720p24, 25, or 30 - nanoFlash can not play these formats)
> using our FileConverter, use the "Convert" option, choose the formatted card as the destination (for edited footage, this step must be taken or we will not be able to play the footage) (HD only, SD not supported)
> then it should play out of nanoFlash

Tommy

Cees van Kempen January 31st, 2011 10:39 AM

Dear Tommy,

I think I see where I went wrong. I used the "non fragmented copy" option for edited material, whereas I should have used the "Convert" option. Will give it a try again.

Thanks for the prompt replies from your side again.

Cees

Cees van Kempen February 1st, 2011 12:25 PM

Dear Dan and Tommy,

It works perfectly. Please be aware that the text in the boxes (when choosing the "convert" or "non-fragmented copy" options) is quite confusing.

Cees

Jyrki Hokkanen March 29th, 2011 02:14 AM

Premiere and NanoFlash Playback

I encountered similar problems when trying to use NF as a player for files rendered in Adobe Premiere Pro. Here is what I did. According to the manual, my work-flow should have been OK. I have the latest NF update installed. Any suggestions?

I rendered Premiere's (latest CS5 version) timeline (about 6 minutes) using "MPEG2 MXF" format (preset: XDCAMHD 50 PAL 25p, output 1920x1080 25fps progressive). These specs correspond to the settings of my shot video (except the bit rate). Copied the MXF file to NF formatted CF card's }CLP{ folder using Windows Explorer. The card was otherwise empty. Set Trigger to "Remote Play". Pressed Play button while the file was selected.

NF bar displays 480p59. Nothing seems to come out of the HDMI out. Timecode stays at 00:00:00.

VLC plays this MXF file without problems and confirms that the Premiere's output parameters are correct.