Nano Flash & EX cameras shoot 3D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 24th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Nano Flash & EX cameras shoot 3D

I posted an earlier version of this but it was deleted for some reason by the listmum. I'll try again here . .

For all NanoFlashHeads I'm posting an air date notice for an episode of "The Universe" show on the History Channel next week which I was honored to be the 3D Stereo Director of Photography on.

It's called "7 Wonders Of The Solar System" and it will show first in 2D on the History Channel (HD & SD) Thursday July 29 @ 9pm EDST. The 3D version will air the following night July 30 on DirecTV channel #103 n3D at 10pm EDST. SKY TV in Europe will air the 3D version later this year.

The live action 3D segments were filmed on location(s) around Los Angeles. I used a 3D beamsplitter mirror rig, Sony EX cameras, and 2 Nano Flash recorders. The Nano Flash units were set to record I-frame only @140MBs twin data streams. Thanks to the custom built trigger from C-D, the two genlocked data streams stayed in perfect timecode sync throughout production, and post production indicated that only minor color correction was required for matching.

Kudos (once again) to C-D for developing such a great and useful product.

This is the first History Channel 3D production, and I was proud to be a part of a great show. I hope you all like it as well.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz View Post
I posted an earlier version of this but it was deleted for some reason by the listmum.
It's still there: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stere...d-episode.html.

Anyway, any chance for those of us who do not have access to cable TV, let alone DirecTV, to see it?
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for posting up. Do you have any bits of advice or good links for some of us who are boning up on 3D shooting techniques and the good gear that is available?
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Major Player

[QUOTE=Adam Stanislav;1551709
Anyway, any chance for those of us who do not have access to cable TV, let alone DirecTV, to see it?[/QUOTE]

If you mean a YouTube video or something like that, I wouldn't expect to see that for some time since it's an active History Channel series. You can watch the show in 2D on all the regular History Channels (HD & SD) on cable this Thursday, but the 3D in the USA is only showing on DirecTV Chan.103 for now (but I suspect it will air repeatedly on that channel as do most of the other programs on it) so if you can find a sports bar that was showing the World Cup in 3D you can probably ask the bartender to tune to the show on Friday July 30 at 10PM EDST.

On boning up on 3D, I'd recommend a couple of things;

1. Bernard Mendilburu's book

is chocked full of useful tips and techniques for 3D production. Available on Amazon it is well worth the $45.

2. DVINFO has a very good and active 3D forum with lots of great contributors and information
3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery Forum at DVinfo.net

3. Tim Dashwood has an excellent website with video tutorials showcasing his FCP plug in "3D Stereo Toolbox" Dashwood Cinema Solutions

The more info you can accumulate and digest, the more you are apt to make good 3D - because there is nothing in the visual media world worse than bad 3D.

I hope anyone who gets to view the 2D or 3D version of "The Universe" show enjoys it.
Old July 25th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Bruce,

I am looking forward to seeing it. I just love the "The Universe" episodes.
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

This program, at least partially shot with the nanoFlash, by Bruce Schultz, in 3D, will be on shortly in 2D on the History Channel.

I have been waiting all week to see this.
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Friends,

This program, at least partially shot with the nanoFlash, by Bruce Schultz, in 3D, will be on shortly in 2D on the History Channel.
Yes Dan that is correct. The live action sequences are NanoFlash recorded, except for a couple of quick 2D stock footage insert shots.

Hope you like it.
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Bruce,

I enjoyed the show.

I hope I can see it in 3D sometime.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey