No "SRC" and no Timecode on Nanoflash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old July 30th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Tourist

No "SRC" and no Timecode on Nanoflash

My recently purchased Nanoflash, which is paired with a Canon XLH1 (Original), has been working flawlessly. However yesterday at the start of a shoot the unit would not record - the display showing no timecode and no src (source). It has been coupled with the Canon since purchase using the same cables
and settings on both - the only changes being 25F to 50i, and bitrate. The strange thing is that the unit boots up OK, shows both CF cards (Transcend 64Gb), and shows no errors. It also plays clips out via both the SDI and HDMI OK.
I have tried another SDI source,formatted cards, reset to factory defaults, and also reverted back to previous firmware, and back again! but it makes no difference. Has anybody experienced this, or similar?
Philip Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Phillip,

Are you using our latest firmware, 1.6.29?

After updating to new firmware, be certain to perform a "Restore Defaults" in the System Menu.

I will send a Private Message to you with my phone numbers.
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You are not alone

Philip,

I have an XLH1, too, and could fill a book with the problems I've been suffering with. To be fair, no one at CD has examined my camera — it's the unknown entity in this setup — but, the reality is that, for me, the Nano has been a bummer. I have over $4,000 invested in the unit, CF cards, and cables, but I can't rely on it. And then, Canon comes out with a 4:2:2, 50Mbps, CF card camera, for not much more than I paid for the Nano.

Very frustrating.

Jeff
Jeff DePonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Jeff,

We acknowledge that your experience has not been perfect.

We have sent three timecode cables, and two nanoFlashes. The cable that you returned to us was very carefully tested and found to be operational, and then, since we could not find any problem, we dissected the cable to look for any possibily of shorts or poor connections, none were found.

The nanoFlash is being successfuly used by others with the Canon XL H1.

Your recently sent in your second nanoFlash for repair, and it was very thoroughly checked out.

We could not find any problems with it. Our technician examined the circuit boards under a microscope and could not find any problems. Then, the solder connections to all of the timecode circuits were "reflowed".

The nanoFlash was thoroughly tested for many hours, using a Canon XL H1s as the source, using LTC timecode input.

Your latest email indicates that the nanoFlash is recording short files, even though you are using the Remote control to trigger the nanoFlash. This indicates that the nanoFlash is losing the HD-SDI signal.

This could be caused by a simple problem with the BNC connector on your camera. One potential problem with BNC connectors is that the four "petals" that grasp the center conductor can become damaged, causing a loose connection. It somethimes takes a moderate power microscope or loupe to find this problem.

We are now discussing whether we should have you send in your camera, along with everything else, so we can determine the cause of the problems.

It is time for us to consider that the problems may be with your camera.

We also acknowledge that this morning, you reported that the just tested nanoFlash "smoked". This also is highly unusual, and we will careful examine your nanoFlash to determine the cause of the problem.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you.
Old August 1st, 2010, 01:56 AM   #5
Tourist

You are not alone

Jeff

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Did you try inputting another SDI source, and if so did the Nanoflash(s) see the video stream? Also trying the mains adaptor as power instead of a battery feed. In my case, trying both of the above made no difference.

Where you able to play clips out of the SDI of HDMI ports?

As we are both using Canon XLH1's, I'm just interested to see if there is any common ground between the two situations.

Regards,
Philip
Philip Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 05:33 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Phllip,

I have sent you a private message.

We believe that your nanoFlash needs to be serviced. We are working to get you another unit promptly.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey