DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Varicam tape copying (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/482845-varicam-tape-copying.html)

Steve Phillipps August 3rd, 2010 01:32 PM

Varicam tape copying

Right, I'm sure this hasn't been asked specifically before.

I've a bunch of Varicam tapes that I've shot (and will be shooting more perhaps). On there is mostly 25P sync with audio and a lot of 60fps slomo.

I want to know what I'll get if I hook the camera up to the Nanoflash with HD SDI. The Nano will remove redundant frames I believe. So will I be left with one large file of the whole tape, with each shot at its proper frame rate? So that if I dropped the whole lot into a 25P timeline the 25P stuff would be realtime speed and the 60P would play in slomo? This is what I think would happen and what I'd like to happen.

As for audio, I have read that there would be sync problems, and a workaround was talked about by plugging the audio out 5 pin connector into the Nano, any ideas about this?

Many thanks,
Steve

Dan Keaton August 3rd, 2010 01:48 PM

Dear Steve,

Yes, you can set a menu option for the nanoFlash to remove either 3:2 Pulldown (and other variants), or set it to remove 2:2 pulldown. The later allows 720p50 to be converted to 720p25.

When 3:2 Pulldown is performed, we will adjust the audio as one would want us to.

The same applies to 2:2 pulldown.

The nanoFlash removes pulldown in a very sophisticated way: it actually checks for duplicate frames and deletes them. This way, we can handle the various types of pulldown and we are not dependent on Flags in the timecode user bits.

Many cameras do not record audio when doing Slow-Mo. We do the same.

Yes, if you setup the nanoFlash to record the entire tape, 720p25 would come out as expected, and 720p60 would also. But, since there are so many variables involved, I recommend a test.

We normally do not recommend mixing formats.

If it does not come out as you want, you could position the tape, then set the camera to the desired frame rate 720p25 or 720p60, then start the nanoFlash recording, then roll the tape. Then stop when you get to a different frame rate. The goal is to have the nanoFlash recognize the cameras frame rate, then start the recording process. You could have the lens cap on so the camera's footage would be black.

Then repeat this as desired.

I hope this helps, and I hope this was clear. This is all theory as I have not done what you have requested.

Steve Phillipps August 3rd, 2010 02:20 PM

Should have access to a Nano shortly, if I get around to trying it I'll report back.
Thanks for the prompt reply as always Dan.
Steve

Dan Keaton August 3rd, 2010 02:57 PM

Dear Steve,

Thank you.

Great, the best way to prove that it will work is to try it.

Please let us know if we can assist.