nano3D is now shipping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 17th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #1
Inner Circle

nano3D is now shipping

Dear Friends,

We are now shipping the nano3D.

The following text is from our nano3D brochure:

nano3D combines two nanoFlashes, with sophisticated 3D firmware to provide a camera-mountable, stereoscopic recording and playback solution.

Each recording starts on the same frame, and playback will be in “Pixel Sync”.

Professional or consumer 3D monitors may be used to analyze the images, as the nano3D includes 3D Image Combiner and Processor functions.

A Side by Side Image Combiner is provided in Live View, Recording, and during Playback.

Menu selectable Pixel Offset is also provided.

When not shooting 3D, the two nanoFlashes may be used independently on two different camers,
or used to create Fully Redundant Recordings from a single camera or video source,
or for creating both High Resolution and Proxy Mode recordings simultaneously.

Records Isolated “Left Eye” and “Right Eye”,
or if desired, records combined “Side by Side” 3D footage.

Playback is in “Pixel Sync”.

Works with both Professional and Consumer 3D Monitors
(A HD-SDI to HDMI converter is required if using Consumer 3D Monitors)

Records up to 280 Mbps in I-Frame Only.

Includes Image Combiner and 3D Processor Functions which work in Live View, Recording, and Playback

Includes Image Flip (Vertical), Image Flop (Horizontal) and both, for Live View and before Recording.

nano3D Specifications

nano3D works with almost all HD-SDI or HDMI equipped cameras that have a clean output.

HD-SDI cameras are typically preferred.

With HDMI cameras, playback requires a simple cable change.

Genlocked cameras are recommended for 3D work.
Alternatives to “Genlock”, such as control via LANC, for certain HDMI cameras may also work.

The nano3D supports Long-GOP and I-Frame Only; for 3D work, I-Frame Only is recommended.

I-Frame Only Bit-Rates supported are 100, 140, 180, 220 and 280 Megabits per second (Mbps), all recorded in 4:2:2.

The nano3D can be quickly split into two separate nanoFlashes for non-3D work, by removing four screws.

Long-GOP HD Bit-Rates for non-3D work are 18 and 35 Mbps in 4:2:0,
and 50, 80, 100, 140 and 180 Mbps in 4:2:2.

Frame Rates supported:
1080p23.976, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p29.97, 1080p30, 1080i50, 1080i59.94, 1080i60,
and 720p23.976, 720p24, 720p25, 720p29.97, 720p30, 720p50, 720p59.94, 720p60.

Note: the nano3D, in 720p under 50 frames per second, does not currently support playback from the unit itself, but the files can be edited in certain Non-Linear Editors.

Menu Options are available for conversion of Progressive Segmented Frames (PSF) to
True Progressive, as well as removal of pulldown frames. This includes removal of 3:2 pulldown, 2:2 pulldown, and others.

Image Flip (Vertical) and Image Flop (Horizontal) and Both are supported.

Image Flip and Flop occur before recording and "pass thru" HD-SDI output.

Side by Side 3D Image Combining is supported, no separate processor is needed.
This is currently the best option, as it preserves full vertical resolution.
Ideal for viewing on a consumer 3D television.

Image offset functions are provided for Live View, while Recoding and Playback.

The nano3D records the “Left Eye” and “Right Eye” as two isolated channels.

A menu option allows combined image to be recorded, if desired.

Monitoring is via two HD-SDI outputs for professional 3D monitors,
or via a HD-SDI to HDMI converter for consumer 3D televisions. The AJA Hi-5 is recommended
which is typically located near the televisions so that a single, low cost, HD-SDI cable run can be used.

Up to 8 Channels of 24-Bit/48K audio (per “Eye”) are supported via audio embedded in the HD-SDI signal
or up to 2 channels (per “Eye”) of mic/line analog audio via a 3.5mm mini-jack. Mixer Tape-Out can be used, if desired.

Thus, up to 16 isolated audio channels can be recorded.

nano3D records in native Quicktime for Final Cut Pro and native MXF for Avid, Sony Vegas, Edius, Adobe CS3/4/5, etc.

nano3D includes two nanoFlashes, Remote Control with Tally Light, heavy duty AC Power Supply, P-Tap Power Cable, two HD-SDI cables, Y-Power Cable, Y-Cable for Remote Control, and special hinged Bracket to hold the two nanoFlashes.
Attached Thumbnails
nano3D is now shipping-nano3d-front-compactflash-card-side-view-300-dpi-37.jpg  
Old August 17th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Dan, if we already have the Nano Flash units and don't require the new bracket, is it a firmware update to make the Nano3D happen? If so, what is the cost and when can the firmware be downloaded?
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Bruce,

I know you asked a very simple, straight-forward question, but the answer is more complex.

We designed the nano3D using two nanoFlashes so one could use it for 3D one day, and then use it as two completely independent nanoFlashes. The change over takes less than two minutes.

If one already has two nanoFlashes, the upgrade consists of

1. A Remote Control with Tally Light.
2. A "Y" cable for the remote control.
This cable includes connections for serial communications between the two units.
3. Two 18" HD-SDI cables and a 9" HDMI (Mini to Mini) Cable,
4. An Anton Bauer P-Tap (D-Tap) to 4-Pin Hirose power cable.
5. A heavy-duty AC Power Supply (the original AC Power Supply is not adequate for two nanoFlashes).
6. The nano3D mounting bracket.
7. The nano3D firmware.
8. Authorization Code which allows the nano3D firmware to be used.

For those that own one nanoFlash, then we offer a nano3D Upgrade which includes all of the above items and a nanoFlash which has been pre-authorized to use the nano3D firmware.

In the US, the MSRP for the nano3D Upgrade is $4,595 with the expected street price of $4,495.

In the US, the MSRP for the full nano3D with two nanoFlashes is $7,495, with the expected street price of $7,295.

For a limited time, we will offer a nano3D Upgrade Kit 2 to those that already have two nanoFlashes.

This consists of all of the above items, (no nanoFlashes are included). The price for this upgrade is $1,795.

This limited time offer is scheduled to end September 30, 2010.

You may wonder why this is a limited-time offer.

We are doing this as a courtesy to those who already have two nanoFlashes.
The process of "authorizing" an existing nanoFlash nanoFlash is time-consuming and tedious.

It is not hard on the user of the nanoFlash, but does involve a few steps, but it is time consuming on our part and involves one of our high-level engineers. Thus, every nanoFlash that we have to upgrade takes time away from development work.

Yes, we could develop a more streamlined upgrade process for ourselves, but this too would take time away from our Chief Engineer. And, as most people know, he is very busy.

Thus, if one already has a nanoFlash and is considering shooting 3D in the future, we recommend purchasing the nano3D Upgrade as your second nanoFlash.

The prices around the world vary due to shipping costs, custom duties and other taxes.
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Dan,

From what I gather, if one owns a nanoFlash and wants to get the 3D upgrade with a second unit, their nanoFlash does not have to be authorized (upgraded) involving your Chief Engineer, just the second unit that is purchased and, of course, it is already authorized.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Andrew,

Exactly!
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I seem to remember saying this before to one of your anouncements - "Blimey!"

You guys just keep on pushing!

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Thanks for the nice "Blimey"!

If I may step out of character for a minute:

The nano3D is a very nice way to record 3D. We handle side by side and mirror rigs, we support Image flip and image flop, and we include a "Side by Side" combiner for consumer 3D televisions.
(But an extrernal HD-SDI to HDMI converter will be needed at the 3D television.)

Then we add "Image Offset", "Pixel Sync" playback, in a low to moderate cost unit.

And being able to record high-quality I-Frame Only 4:2:2 video at 280 Mbps, with up to 16 channels of 24-Bit, 48k audio is not bad either.

And then one get two nanoFlashes for when they are not shooting 3D.

When one purchases the image processing functions in a separate unit, they can be quite expensive.
(But the stand-alone 3D image processors typically have more funtionality, but then typically, they can not record.)

The nano3D, a the very minimum, is a very nice, compact way to record 3D in the field.
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Major Player

3D nanoflash ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
Hi Dan,

From what I gather, if one owns a nanoFlash and wants to get the 3D upgrade with a second unit, their nanoFlash does not have to be authorized (upgraded) involving your Chief Engineer, just the second unit that is purchased and, of course, it is already authorized.
Dan,
I have one unit ... and if I get another unit with the 3D upgrade my 2 units can be combined as 3D? If that is what you mean ... what would this additional unit cost? forget this question ... I have the answer ... sorry about that ... can't seem to delete the message!
Old August 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Dean,

Yes, if you order a nano3D Upgrade, you get a nanoFlash with the nano3D firmware, the authorization (already installed in the nanoFlash), and all of the other cables and accessories.

One existing nanoFlash + one nano3D Upgrade = One full blown nano3D.
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #10
Major Player

Dan,

Can you provide a little more information about the playback options for the Nano3D unit?

I like the capability of muxing the separate data streams into a side-by-side output, but can the two full bandwidth data streams in both NF units be set to output sychronous playback without muxing? In my configuration, I use a small 8" 3D linear polarized monitor that uses 2 HDSDI inputs and I have a Black Magic HDLink muxing those two data streams (loop through) out to a 40" Samsung 3D HDTV - so I don't need NanoFlash muxing in this configuration but synchronous playback would be worth the Nano3D upgrade price if this is possible.

Also, I suggest you try and add other muxing options if possible as for instance next week I am doing a satellite 3D feed for Sony Pictures Studio from the US to Europe and the projector in the theater there requires an over/under muxed signal - which the Black Magic HDLink 3D provides. I know it's more engineering, but side by side, over/under and line by line seem to be the dominant muxing schemes.

Perhaps we can discuss this more thoroughly next weekend at the Santa Fe 3D workshop here in LA.
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Bruce,

Yes, you can definitely output two, isolated HD-SDI video streams, one for "Left Eye" and one for "Right Eye". These are full resolution video + audio streams and they are fully synchronized.

You can the option of outputing a single combined stream. Currently the only option is Side by Side.
Other options may come later.

In our opinion, "Side by Side" is the best opton (if one wants to combine) in that it preserves the vertical resolution and provides a resonable balance between horizontal and vertical resolution.

Thus for side by side, each side is 960 (horizontal resolution) and 1080 (vertical resolution).

Line by Line is 1920 (H) x 540 (V).

Over and Under is 1920 (H) x 540 (V) (as I understand it).

Other options are possible in the future, but this is not a guarantee or a promise.
We are considering adding "Line by Line".

I would like to learn why someone would choose "Over and Under" if "Side by Side" is available.

I think I understand why someone would want "Line by Line".

But, as always, we want to listen to our customers, and to their customers.
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #12
Major Player

Dan, good news about the full frame dual stream playback. As I understand it, 3D synchronous playback only comes out of the HDSDI spigot and not the HDMI. So does the HDMI output have any function at all in the Nano3D architecture?

I only mentioned the over/under because the projector I am sending to in Spain requires it. For all the normal 3D display that I do I usually do use side-by-side. However, I'm not sure there is a optimal value for any of it as I can't really see why 1/2 resolution in either vertical or horizontal would make any difference. Perhaps someone on the forum could chime in to say why reducing vertical instead of horizontal or visa versa is a better choice.
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear Bruce,

Yes, on the nano3D, the 3D video comes out of the two HD-SDI outputs, in full pixel-sync.

The HDMI output can not be used (at least at this time, no promises for the future).

The HDMI output of the bottom unit is used to send the full resolution to the HDMI Input of the upper unit.

Then the upper unit combines the two images, if desired) and outputs the combined images via the HD-SDI output.

"Side by Side" offers 960 pixels of vertical resolution, other modes offer 540 pixels.
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #14
Major Player

"Side by Side" offers 960 pixels of vertical resolution, other modes offer 540 pixels"

960 pixels of 1920 = 50% horizontal resolution
540 pixels of 1080 = 50% vertical resolution

Still failing to see the difference, the 3D HDTV will either scale up the vertical 50% or the horizontal 50% to achieve a full frame picture.

Not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to figure out which is better/worse, or is it as it appears an equal dose of scaling either way.

Thanks for the info on the HDMI port activities in the Nano3D, it's all pretty clear now.
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Numbers

Stereoscopic information is strictly in the horizontal plane (unless the 3D rig is messed up). So in my 38 years of shooting 3D films, preserving the horizontal resolution is a significant consideration. Thus, an over/under (O/U) approach is better than side-by-side (SxS).

Such frames are treated as anamorphic. And in video (versus film), once you lose pixels, stretching (de-anamorphizing) does not bring the detail back.

I would rather lose resolution vertically than horizontally, for 3D.

--------------------
Daniel Symmes
Director of Photography/3D Consultant/VFX/3D Systems
Los Angeles, CA U.S.A.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey