Canon EOS 60D And The Nanoflash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old August 26th, 2010, 04:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon EOS 60D And The Nanoflash

This new camera has so I understand, "HDMI output". Does this mean compatibility with the nano?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Major Player

I hunted high and low last night to find out if the HDMI port will issue a 1080 signal when recording but cannot find a reference to it anywhere. the DPreview is so sprawling that you would have to invest a whole day to properly comb through it. I gave it 15 minutes. Google has turned up nothing for me. Good luck.

And it is not just for nanoFlash recording but more overly to preview on a monitor ensuring good focus.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for that. I was at a Canon stand at the weekend at a big three day event over here, "Bird Fair", 20k odd visitors, and it was clear that none of the Canon bods understood video.

Guess we'll just have to wait until somebody who does know gets their hands on one and "posts".

Good point re a monitor. I have an XLH1, and, it almost goes without saying, I have a monitor for focus assist (etc). The monitor takes a SDI signal from the nano. In the event a 60d is "for me", it would be v handy to feed an HDMI signal to record into nano and an SDI signal out of the nano for monitoring purposes.

We can but dream!

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I think you can bank on not having a HDMI output in a non video camera device. The manufacturers have shown they do not want to go there with all of the models out on the market.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #5
Major Player

To my understanding the 7D does have a full 1080 signal coming out of the HDMI port when in record mode, whereas the other known cameras do not and that includes the 5D mkII.

With the 7D having a 1080 and having come out after the 5D mkII and costing half the price, it is a fair question to ask if the 60D has a 1080 record signal out the HDMI port.

You are probably right Tim but the question must be asked.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #6
Sponsor: Westside AV

The 7D does not have full 1080 while recording or before recording, only on playback. And that means it is a heavily compressed signal. Just like the 5DmkII.

I wish it were not so, but it is.
Unless there is new FW I don't know about.
Old August 28th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Major Player

I stand corrected. The article I read on the 7D must have been incorrect.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey