DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Anyone tried playing Nano .MPG clips on WD TV player? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/483964-anyone-tried-playing-nano-mpg-clips-wd-tv-player.html)

Dave Chalmers August 28th, 2010 01:23 AM

Anyone tried playing Nano .MPG clips on WD TV player?

Hi all,

We're considering using the NanoFlash to record high-quality screening copies of programmes at 25Mbps HD MPEG2 in a .MPG wrapper. (i.e. BluRay quality)

We would then like to use the Western Digital WD TV Live media player to play back these screening clips, either direct from the CF card, or, more likely, from a network share on a PC.

Anyone tried the Nano .MPGs with this unit?

I'll give it a go next week, but was looking for a heads-up if someone had already tried it.

Regards

Dave

Dan Keaton August 31st, 2010 05:01 AM

Dear Dave,

I am sorry, but I have not tried that yet.

The nanoFlash makes an excellent playback device for screenings, but, of course, it is more expensive.

With the nanoFlash, you can show a screening with high bit-rates and 4:2:2, if you wish, and it is simple: Just press "Play".

Lance Librandi August 31st, 2010 06:46 AM

Dear Dave & Dan,
Yes Nanoflash Mpg 19Mbps will playback and looks very nice. I now supply my major clients with theses units and use them as an alternative delivery system to Blu-ray. If you want high quality for presentation work I would recommend you use the Nanoflash you can not beat it.
Cheers

Ned Soltz August 31st, 2010 03:37 PM

Funny this discussion should arise since WD sent me a unit to review just before the new version shipped.

I agree that it is an excellent delivery alternative to BluRay and I am so glad to see that you are using it for that purpose. Really a terrific device.

Of course, I write this on August 31 prior to whatever Apple will announce on Sept 1

Ned

Lance Librandi August 31st, 2010 07:39 PM

Hello Ned,
I test this system out one of my corporate clients back in May of this year delivering the product on DVD,Blu-ray and the WD non network model with the media on a 16gb c USB drive. The client advised that they now prefer the video to be supplied on the Sandisk Cruze over Blu-ray because the WD unit is small enough to go into a handbag or laptop case and they can just plug the USB drive into any computer and playback. They have also in the past suffered problems with optical disks suffering physical damage through bad handling practices requiring replacements. The WD unit is only $60 and the 16 gb Cruzer $20 AUD which is built into the price of the job,this also avoids Blu-ray player compatibility issues. From a work flow perspective life is real easy now I use the NanoFlash on the camera and the Tricaster for acquisition edit in Speededit or FCP and then output the final time-line to the NanoFlash recording 19Mbps MPG transfer the file to the Sandisk Cruze and we are done.
I am also now looking at other methods of copy protection for the video on the Sandisk Cruze as we are no longer stuck with the Sony Blu-ray OS.