nano3D wins "A Best of IBC Award" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 1st, 2010, 09:02 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Hmm...

minDV tape aside (we're talking tapeless here), we can simultaneously record HD on the EX1, and the highest quality 50 Mbps 4:2:2 IMX SD on the nanoFlash...

Now, how about that?

:)

Piotr
Old October 1st, 2010, 09:28 AM   #17
Major Player

Isn't IMX Mpeg? How are you editing that?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Isn't IMX Mpeg? How are you editing that?

John
John, while I'm aware the "anti-MPEG" school exists, the EX1 as well as the nanoFlash is all about MPEG, so what's odd about IMX that you're seeing?

I can edit it just as easily as the HD mxf's, using Sony Vegas Pro...

Piotr
Old October 2nd, 2010, 01:19 AM   #19
Major Player

I am not familiar with using IMX files. Are you saying that Vegas will import them as IMX, and they may then be edited like DV AVI on the Vegas Timeline and subsequently rendered to Mpeg 2 for DVD?

Is that correct?

What I am looking for is hardware down conversion to SD from the EX1, and then the ability to import the SD video into Vegas just like I can do with DV.

John
Old October 2nd, 2010, 01:28 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Yes - the IMX can be dropped on Vegas timeline with no probs. It edits fine, and of course renders out to whatever format you need.

But since we are in a nanoFlash thread: it also can record in an MPEG-2 mode (both SD and HD), ready to go straight onto DVD/BD. You could use this if you're scared by IMX (but of course, you'll be loosing higher bitrate and 4:2:2).

So, if you need good hardware conversion, you can record HD on the EX1 while outputting SD to the nanoFlash. Alternatively, you can record HD on both, and then later on simply play the files back from the camera while recording SD to the nanoFlash. Of course, in both cases you need to set your EX1's SDI appropriately.

Piotr
Old October 2nd, 2010, 05:43 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Before, when flash media densities were only 32 GB maximum, this option was not that practical. Now, we have 64 GB densities and soon to be 128 GB densities. With this much removable storage at hand, one can capture 1 hour plus in uncompressed full raster HD in 4:2:2 color space. permanently in the device in some production situations. This would also be true with the Flash XDR.
Hi Mark,
What do you mean, to put 1 hour 10b 422 Uncompressed stuff in 128GBs?
Rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 05:48 AM   #22
Major Player

The IMX is far much better than DV (422, Intraframe) and as easy to edit.
I think all the NLEs/platforms support it.
Rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 05:56 PM   #23
Major Player

Thanks Piotr,

Are you using an HD monitor with it while recording SD on the Nano? How are you hooking it up?

Thanks,

John
Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:25 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Thanks Piotr,

Are you using an HD monitor with it while recording SD on the Nano? How are you hooking it up?

Thanks,

John
Good question, John - my Marshall monitor is hooked to the nanoFlash HDMI-out, and that of course doesn't output SD... My Marshall doesn't have an SDI input.

So, the only solution is monitor straight from the camera, using Component or Composite. Doesn't look nice and is difficult to focus, but I do it so rarely that I can live with it.

But I guess we're getting slightly off-topic in this thread :)

Piotr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey