An on/off switch for the nanoFlash? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 5th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #1
Major Player

An on/off switch for the nanoFlash?

I recently purchased a nanoFlash and I am a little puzzled by the lack of an on/off switch. My current project entails numerous short takes with anything from one to ten minutes between shots. To conserve battery power I turn off the camera and unplug the nanoFlash between shots. This is a little tedious and I have already snagged a dangling lead as I ventured through vegetation. For such a sophisticated and versatile device this means of powering seems a little crude. It is even more puzzling when I read that the first nanoFlashes had switches, later units had non-functional switches and current units have no switch at all.

I have not finalized my setup re brackets and cables etc as I wanted some field experience first. Is there any reason why I should not install a switch somewhere?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I feel your pain :)

To make things even worse, the current firmware (and AFAIK, the incoming Beta) have rendered the Power Save mode inoperable...Let's hope CD will restore it ASAP.

As to your own ON/OFF hw switch, I can see no reason to prevent you from incorporating one.
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Major Player

I completely agree, as CD already knows. With no on/off switch at least the power safe option should work. I cannot think of any other device of such quality (or of any quality at all) that you have to switch off by taking the plug off.
Cees van Kempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Traill View Post
I recently purchased a nanoFlash and I am a little puzzled by the lack of an on/off switch.
I don't have a NanoFlash but I am thinking of buying one. I would think not having an on/off switch is indeed strange.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm also on the verge of ordering one. A short Hirose-to-Hirose cable with a nice stiff switch in the middle seems like an easy project, even for the electrically-declined, however a nicely-made accessory switch would probably be a welcome addition to nanoflash.net's collection of add-ons.

Best,
Aaron

PS: I'd love to know why there isn't simply a switch on the device. That does seem an awfully odd omission. :-?
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #6
Sponsor: Westside AV

I make a small inline switch for the NF.

It is a pretty expensive to make. The Hirose plug is very pricy and hard to solder (very small pins) the switch I use is a slide switch similar to the on/off on a EX camera.

I mill a small plastic box from it out of solid plastic. I can not find a good quality small switch pre made.

I use these myself and have made a few as part of custom cables for shooters. Usually the other end is a D-tap.

I have not found a great demand for these, but if you are interested contact me, or post here.

If a lot of people would like these it would be less expensive to make them in batches.

olof@westsideav.com
Attached Images

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #7
Major Player

I believe that the reason the switch was taken out was that many users accidentally switched the nano off far too often in the middle of a take by bumping it.That was what was explained to me when I bought mine anyway. It is a crude way of dealing with it but it does guarantee no lost takes due to that sort of error.

Perhaps the on off function can be moved to the play or stop button and it can get held down for a few seconds for example.
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Olonga View Post
Perhaps the on off function can be moved to the play or stop button and it can get held down for a few seconds for example.
OFF - yes, it could work. But ON - how on the earth?
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The reason that the on/off switch was eliminated is that it was of such inferior quality that it was failing after only a couple of uses.

Jeff
Jeff Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey Piotr. No electrical engineer here and not sure whether CD can do it but - I have an Archos, Blackberry,Laptop and many other gadgets that are turned on and off using the same button. Hold down and it's on. Hold down and it's off. Power is always connected of course.
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback.

I bought the nanoFlash bundle that is considered to be a starter kit. It is very useful for that but I soon found that I miss an on/off switch. I would prefer a toggle switch because you can see at a glance whether it is on or off. Slide switches such as used on the EX3 although hard to knock can be very vague.

I once purchased a small well-made toggle switch at a flea market. To actuate this switch you first had to raise the toggle against spring pressure then move the toggle to the alternative position. Releasing the toggle locked it in place. It was impossible to knock on or off, however I have never seen another one like it. Does anyone know if they are still made and if so where to get them?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #12
Major Player

Switch

For many of us NOT having a switch is one less thing to go wrong. The early nanos had a switch and the forum consensus at that time was we were better off without it. Thinking here is: if you are using a reasonably sized battery and working on making shots it is best to have the unit powered up while you work. When you shutdown the camera for a reset or break simply unplug the nano. Adding a switch to the power cable is a fine solution if that works better for you. Having the power save feature restored would be ideal.... that fell victim to resolving some other issues and adding requested features. I am sure they will figure out how to restore it in a future firmware release.
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Major Player

Yes totally agree.. seemed there were problems with the switch.. and it was another thing to forget,or go wrong! but the power save mode was a good alternative.. great to have that back.. even if it might interfere with the Nano making a good cafe latte.. :)
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Traill View Post
I once purchased a small well-made toggle switch at a flea market. To actuate this switch you first had to raise the toggle against spring pressure then move the toggle to the alternative position. Releasing the toggle locked it in place. It was impossible to knock on or off, however I have never seen another one like it. Does anyone know if they are still made and if so where to get them?
Alco has a complete line of locking toggle switches, including the kind where you have to raise the bat before you can switch states. DigiKey, AlliedElec, and Newark all carry pretty much the whole alco line.

Search for "alcoswitch" in Google.

Billy
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:35 AM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Billy,

I have found a local retailer with stock and I plan to check them out tomorrow. I will also "google" alcoswitch.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey