DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   XDR-Nano & FCP Log & Transfer Function (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/486286-xdr-nano-fcp-log-transfer-function.html)

John Richard October 18th, 2010 11:07 AM

XDR-Nano & FCP Log & Transfer Function

Anyone know how to use FCP Log and Transfer to properly use the Nano }CLP{ folder/volume to gain all the logging and naming functions?

Aaron Newsome October 18th, 2010 01:52 PM

Hi John. What naming and logging info are you trying to get from the }CLP{ folder?

Typically, the files in the }CLP{ folder are simply copied to where you want to put them. There is no need or advantage to using log and transfer, unless your goal is to manually input your logging info and transcode the footage on import.

As far as I know, there is no additional logging information that can be pulled from the }CLP{ folder.

John Richard October 18th, 2010 07:08 PM

Thanks Aaron for the response.

I like the Logging Panel as a nice starting place to keep organized. This Logging Panel allows you to automate a lot of the naming of clips and then provides Scene, Shot/Take (if using slate or someone logging timecode during production, Shot Angle, and Log Notes which are very helpful. And it's all available while viewing/listenin to the clip. And of course you can rough in In & Out's.

Luben Izov October 18th, 2010 07:24 PM

Hi John,
You are correct with all that, but, you could do all that when your QT files are imported in your FCP under the properties of each file. Just for your info.
Cheers

Aaron Newsome October 18th, 2010 07:43 PM

I'll take another look but I still can't recall an advantage to using the extra step of log and transfer. It seems to me that simply creating a bin in the media browser window, dragging your files there and editing their logging info directly in the browser is just as easy and less steps. To each their own though, I suppose. There is no incorrect order of steps if it works for you.

Mark Job October 18th, 2010 09:08 PM

NLE Logging & Organizing Features

Hi Aaron & Luben:
You're not going to believe this unless you see it for yourself done right in front of you -even then you won't believe it ! There is a feature in Avid Media Composer called Script -Sync, which will read the script you shot takes to, then listen to the takes, and for each line of dialogue in the script document, Avid will bring up all the available takes (Including good take annotations and marks).

Step One: Import script as a simple Word.DOC, or a .txt file.
Step Two: Capture, or AMA your XDCAM HD 4:2:2 files from your Nano/XDR.

Bring up script sync and watch AMC put the *correct takes* with the *correct lines of dialogue !* You simply click on the box you want to see and it plays. Double click on the box and it edits !

Un-freakin believable ! This is why more post is done on Avid Media Composer than anything else.

John Richard October 20th, 2010 07:49 AM

Wow! If that capability has a high degree of accuracy then it is AWESOME Mark.
A very fast rough assembly could be made from the director's list of good takes - and a lot less time looking at leader slates.
How accurate is it?

Aaron Newsome October 20th, 2010 10:59 AM

Yes Mark. I do believe it. I think Adobe has had it since CS4 and there is also a plugin for FCP which does the same thing.

Mark Job October 20th, 2010 11:38 AM

Script-Sync Accuracy

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Richard (Post 1580457)
Wow! If that capability has a high degree of accuracy then it is AWESOME Mark.
A very fast rough assembly could be made from the director's list of good takes - and a lot less time looking at leader slates.
How accurate is it?

...Hi John: It's 100 % in all demos of it I have seen :-) Right to the specific TC frame ! Have you seen the Avid Media Composer auto double- system sound sync feature go into action ? Totally sick man ! Auto sync up all your film rushes ! Works !