XDR-Nano & FCP Log & Transfer Function at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 18th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Major Player

XDR-Nano & FCP Log & Transfer Function

Anyone know how to use FCP Log and Transfer to properly use the Nano }CLP{ folder/volume to gain all the logging and naming functions?
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi John. What naming and logging info are you trying to get from the }CLP{ folder?

Typically, the files in the }CLP{ folder are simply copied to where you want to put them. There is no need or advantage to using log and transfer, unless your goal is to manually input your logging info and transcode the footage on import.

As far as I know, there is no additional logging information that can be pulled from the }CLP{ folder.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Aaron for the response.

I like the Logging Panel as a nice starting place to keep organized. This Logging Panel allows you to automate a lot of the naming of clips and then provides Scene, Shot/Take (if using slate or someone logging timecode during production, Shot Angle, and Log Notes which are very helpful. And it's all available while viewing/listenin to the clip. And of course you can rough in In & Out's.
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi John,
You are correct with all that, but, you could do all that when your QT files are imported in your FCP under the properties of each file. Just for your info.
Cheers
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #5
Major Player

I'll take another look but I still can't recall an advantage to using the extra step of log and transfer. It seems to me that simply creating a bin in the media browser window, dragging your files there and editing their logging info directly in the browser is just as easy and less steps. To each their own though, I suppose. There is no incorrect order of steps if it works for you.
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #6
Trustee

NLE Logging & Organizing Features

Hi Aaron & Luben:
You're not going to believe this unless you see it for yourself done right in front of you -even then you won't believe it ! There is a feature in Avid Media Composer called Script -Sync, which will read the script you shot takes to, then listen to the takes, and for each line of dialogue in the script document, Avid will bring up all the available takes (Including good take annotations and marks).

Step One: Import script as a simple Word.DOC, or a .txt file.
Step Two: Capture, or AMA your XDCAM HD 4:2:2 files from your Nano/XDR.

Bring up script sync and watch AMC put the *correct takes* with the *correct lines of dialogue !* You simply click on the box you want to see and it plays. Double click on the box and it edits !

Un-freakin believable ! This is why more post is done on Avid Media Composer than anything else.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Wow! If that capability has a high degree of accuracy then it is AWESOME Mark.
A very fast rough assembly could be made from the director's list of good takes - and a lot less time looking at leader slates.
How accurate is it?
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #8
Major Player

Yes Mark. I do believe it. I think Adobe has had it since CS4 and there is also a plugin for FCP which does the same thing.
Old October 20th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Trustee

Script-Sync Accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Richard View Post
Wow! If that capability has a high degree of accuracy then it is AWESOME Mark.
A very fast rough assembly could be made from the director's list of good takes - and a lot less time looking at leader slates.
How accurate is it?
...Hi John: It's 100 % in all demos of it I have seen :-) Right to the specific TC frame ! Have you seen the Avid Media Composer auto double- system sound sync feature go into action ? Totally sick man ! Auto sync up all your film rushes ! Works !
Mark Job is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey