DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Compression for DVD from Nanoflash files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/486362-compression-dvd-nanoflash-files.html)

Nathan Lawrence October 19th, 2010 10:19 PM

Compression for DVD from Nanoflash files

There seem to be several posts that hint at this issue, but none seem to address it directly.

I currently shoot with an EX3 and use Final Cut Studio 2. Nearly all of my work is for SD DVDs, and that probably won't be changing anytime soon. I have noticed my conversions to DVD improved dramatically since getting the EX3, as compared with the transcoding from HDV (Canon XHA1). Currently, I export all of my sequences to ProRes HQ before transcoding for DVD. My question about the Nanoflash... If I'm recording at 50 mbps or 100, will my SD DVDs look noticeably better, using Compressor 3.0 and my current workflow? I love everything I am reading about the Nanoflash, but since I don't do anything for broadcast, have never done any green screen work, I'm wondering if it is the tool for me at this point.

I don't think the option to record DVD-ready files is a good one for me as I almost always have a lot of cutting to do (use 2-cameras most of the time).

Thanks very much.

Nathan Lawrence

Piotr Wozniacki October 20th, 2010 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Lawrence (Post 1580366)
I don't think the option to record DVD-ready files is a good one for me as I almost always have a lot of cutting to do (use 2-cameras most of the time).

Nathan,

I think the nanoFlash option to record in a DVD-ready (or BD-ready) format is only good when you're going straight to your authoring program (well - perhaps with a couple of cuts, but you can "smart-render" without re-compression). In this case, of course there is no point in recording 4:2:2 at higher bitrates.

However, if you plan to use heavy grading (CC, NR, etc), you'll be better to start with as high the quality as possible (even in SD, you can use IMX 422@50 Mbps).

Nathan Lawrence October 20th, 2010 07:02 AM

Piotr-

Thanks for your reply. I agree with your comments below. That is basically what I was trying to say in many regards.

But my question remains.... will my SD DVDs look significantly better with Nanoflash (i.e. 1080/30p @ 50 or 100 mbps) -----> DVD than it does with simply my EX 3 (1080/30p @ 35 mbps) ----> DVD.

Basically, I want to make better looking DVDs with my EX3. Will the nanoflash enable me to do that, or am I only going to see a difference in the original HD material?

Thanks.

--Nathan

Piotr Wozniacki October 20th, 2010 08:22 AM

If you go straight to DVD - no.

Andy Mangrum November 15th, 2010 02:31 PM

nanoFlash straight to DVD

Hey Nathan,

Do you know about our MPG File Format? Which allows you to Burn our Files directly to DVD or Blu-ray.

What might be a worthwhile comparison would be to record file in our "MPG" File Format which can be directly burned to DVD's, via Nero 10 or the various Editor's, and compare that to a Recorded file that was in turn re-compressed using compressor. Depending on what you "Final Bit Rate" to DVD is, may determine, if recording files as MPG is most Time Effective, with minor change to the overall quality.

Of course if your starting bit rate is 220Mb it will have a much improved picture compared to 35Mb, So everything within reason,

Best Regards