DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Got my NanoFlash (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/486603-got-my-nanoflash.html)

Anthony McErlean October 25th, 2010 10:42 AM

Got my NanoFlash

Just took delivery of my NanoFlash.

Looking forward to using it with my EX3.
Might need a bit of help, if I'm stuck setting it up.

Andrew Stone October 25th, 2010 10:59 AM

Just in case you haven't found this page yet. Here is a place to get the most current nanoFlash manual as well as the Convergent Design FAQ on the unit and so on...

Manuals | Support | Convergent Design

The manual is very good at coaching one in setup.

Congrats!

Anthony McErlean October 25th, 2010 11:12 AM

Thanks Andrew.

I notice there are a few screw holes on the top of the NanoF, will the rain not get in here?

Paul Cronin October 25th, 2010 11:56 AM

Anthony,

Congrats on the Nano purchase. I have been using mine with great results since it came out.

As for the holes on the top I would not use the Nano with out a waterproof cover. The Nano on its own is not safe to use in the rain. There are basic ways to cover up the Nano. I have a heavy zip lock that I put over it if there will be moisture. This keeps it covered and lets it vent at the bottom where the cables come out and I can see and use the screen.

Anthony McErlean October 25th, 2010 12:15 PM

Thanks Paul, good advice.
I'll have a look for something on the net.

Anthony McErlean October 25th, 2010 02:07 PM

Clip Browser can check for errors with CRC enabled.
Is there anyway the NF files be verified at the copying stage too?

Does the NF cut the MXF files into 00:13:19:05 segments?

Olof Ekbergh October 26th, 2010 06:59 AM

Hi Anthony,

Congrats on the NF. As far as rain cover goes, there are many solutions, this may sound stupid, but I use a clear plastic bag for my whole setup, camera and all. They are cheap small and deploy fast, and can be customized easily with tape or rubber bands. I shoot a lot on boats in salt water with Stedicam, the custom bagging works great.

In the winter here it is very cold so I sometimes use a "Polar Bear cover" from Portabrace, it is a big one from the 90's made for betacams, but it works very well with my EX3 + NF setup complete with hand warmers. I have tried many different Kata, Petrol, PB etc. covers/skins, but I have never found one that is good for a custom EX3/1 setup with NF mics etc. So I stick with the 15 cent solution.

As far as copying the files from CF cards or even just BPAV folders, from SxS cards. I never bother using CRC checking.

I have copied thousands of files v/o error checking and never had a single problem. I always copy to 2 drives, I just drag and drop the BPAV folder (this is from SxS cards) to one drive and rewrap the files to another as .movs, even in the field, if I have to. I find with the 64GB CF cards I can go all day so it is easy to copy at night when I am not rushed. I like the fact that I dont have a BPAV folder to deal with with the NF.

Maybe I am just lucky, but I have shot thousands of hrs this way.

One note, always reformat the CF card in the NF after it has been in a computer. This is easy to do and keeps things running smoothly.

Paul Cronin October 26th, 2010 07:19 AM

Anthony,

I am with Olof, the plastic bag is the best solution I have found.

I also just copy files to my Raid 3 working drive then to a G-Safe Raid 1 drive be it BPAV or .MOV from Nano. It is rare I copy the BPAV since the Nano has never failed me.

Anthony McErlean October 26th, 2010 08:11 AM

Thanks Olof and Paul,

For the tips and advice.
I copied a 32gb CF card to PC in 17mins with the supplied USB adaptor. I'm happy with that speed.
So, copy the CF cards to the PC and then a simple copy and paste after that, OK thanks.

Thanks again.

Anthony McErlean October 29th, 2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1582081)

Does the NF cut the MXF files into 00:13:19:05 segments?

Yes, this is normal for the NF to do this.

Anthony McErlean November 15th, 2010 03:33 PM

Best way to fill the holes.

You know the NF has a few holes in the top and side.
I would like a wee black head screw to seal those holes or a rubber grommet.
Would it be OK to do this?

Thanks.

Dan Keaton November 15th, 2010 03:47 PM

Dear Anthony,

Those screw holes are M3,.5 Metric 3mm, .5mm thread pitch.

However, those screw holes are completely sealed already.

Those are captive screw inserts which are pressed into the case.

These insert protect the nanoFlash from screws that are too long (using normal force).

They are not open holes.

Anthony McErlean November 15th, 2010 03:58 PM

Thanks Dan, as usual.
Not open holes. I didn't know that, but now thinking, that doesn't surprise me knowing how fantastic this NF is.

OK Dan, I have nothing to worry about then.
Thanks.

Anthony McErlean November 19th, 2010 04:23 AM

BNC 75 Ohm Elbow Plug to Jack Adaptor

I would order this BNC 75 Ohm Elbow Plug to Jack Adaptor ...if its the correct one.

I think I'm not allowed to post a link but hope its OK to do this.

Product code: BPJRAA75 (into Google)

Thanks in advance.

Dan Keaton November 19th, 2010 06:44 AM

Dear Anthony,

If you want a 90 degree BNC adapter, that would be one that I approve.