DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   AVID, safe or not? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/486865-avid-safe-not.html)

Tobias Larsson October 31st, 2010 02:07 PM

AVID, safe or not?

I just received an email from a client after delivering aerial footage shot on our Cineflex Camera (helicopter, Sony HDC-1500). The scenes were shot in .MXF, I-FRAME, 280 Mbps, 25p.
Obviously they use AVID and claim they have the latest patch v5.0.3.5. But they canīt open the files.

Error msg: Exception: "AbstractMDB::ScanMXFFileToMobManager - file is not MXF op-Atom".An error occurred scanning the file 01640002.MXF

Is it still fair to say thatīs itīs just a matter of "drag and drop" procedure straight in to the postproduction for the AVID, which has been a USP (unique selling point) when shooting high demanding aerials. Or do i need to reconsider shooting in QuickTime witch tend to work smoth with all my clients Final Cut workstations?

Dan Keaton October 31st, 2010 03:46 PM

Dear Tobias,

I have not heard of that problem.

I hope some of our Avid users will respond to your question soon.

Dan Keaton October 31st, 2010 04:06 PM

Dear Tobias,

Are they using AMA?

I believe 5.0.3.5 is a fairly new version of Avid.

I know that we worked in 5.0.3.2,

But, we need comments from our expert Avid users.

Mark Job October 31st, 2010 08:19 PM

Avid is OK to Edit But No AMA :-(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1583953)
Dear Tobias,

I have not heard of that problem.

I hope some of our Avid users will respond to your question soon.

....Hi Dan & Tobias: Avid AMA simply doesn't work with Nano or XDR files ! They say it does, but I have *NEVER* been able to AMA a CD file into my Avid System (4.0.5.12) (Patch 12). Avid & CD say it has been working since Avid Media Composer 4.0.1.x but it just doesn't work ! I can import and edit CD video files into AMC fine.

Perrone Ford October 31st, 2010 09:49 PM

If you can send a sample, I'll check my two Avid systems.

Tobias Larsson November 1st, 2010 07:37 AM

FTP for you

Great, please send me a email: tobias@cineflex.se
I will reply with login and pass.

Perrone Ford November 1st, 2010 12:56 PM

I just dropped this into my Avids (both unpatched 5.0.xx.xx on Windows 7) and it worked nicely. I did a color correction on it, played with it in Magic Bullet, everything worked as expected.

Mark Job November 1st, 2010 01:36 PM

Ama ?

Hi Perrone:
What do you mean by, "You dropped it in ?" Did you successfully AMA it or import it ? I can also work on CD files in Avid Media Composer without issue, but I can't AMA them, and this is what I really need to do with them :-(

Luben Izov November 1st, 2010 02:20 PM

Hello Tobias,
I second Perrone. If you would like send me a file sample I'll try a test via AMA and regular import in my AVID. I did a test (it is in this forum different thread) and AVID does AMA from NF 280Mbps just fine
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...mxf-files.html

Perrone Ford November 1st, 2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Job (Post 1584176)
Hi Perrone:
What do you mean by, "You dropped it in ?" Did you successfully AMA it or import it ? I can also work on CD files in Avid Media Composer without issue, but I can't AMA them, and this is what I really need to do with them :-(

I was able to do both. I used "Link to AMA File" since I had no card structure. Tie file loaded properly into the bin.

Mark Job November 1st, 2010 03:12 PM

AMA in Which MC Version ?

Hi Perrone:
May I know which version of Avid Media Composer that is which worked with AMA.

Perrone Ford November 1st, 2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Job (Post 1584207)
Hi Perrone:
May I know which version of Avid Media Composer that is which worked with AMA.

I installed Version 5 the day it shipped and it has not been patched.

Luben Izov November 1st, 2010 07:43 PM

@ Tobias

Hello Tobias,
Thank you for the file. I've AVID v5.0.3.5 and everything went nice and smooth with AMA to file and by importing the file into AVID the regular way. I have a screen grabs that I've emailed to you with some explanations. Also, I exported it as a 8bit uncompressed QT for your reference. I can't email the file to you. If you would like to have it please advise. Hope all that would help you resolving your problem.
Cheers
Luben

Peter Moretti November 5th, 2010 10:53 AM

BTW, OP-Atom is the type of MXF structure that Avid uses for its media. It's a very simple version of MXF where each "essence" is stored in a separate file. So if you have one video track and two audio tracks, the OP-Atom MXF will contain three files (one video and two audio). But why your client got the error message, IDK.