AVID, safe or not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old October 31st, 2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Tourist

AVID, safe or not?

I just received an email from a client after delivering aerial footage shot on our Cineflex Camera (helicopter, Sony HDC-1500). The scenes were shot in .MXF, I-FRAME, 280 Mbps, 25p.
Obviously they use AVID and claim they have the latest patch v5.0.3.5. But they canīt open the files.

Error msg: Exception: "AbstractMDB::ScanMXFFileToMobManager - file is not MXF op-Atom".An error occurred scanning the file 01640002.MXF

Is it still fair to say thatīs itīs just a matter of "drag and drop" procedure straight in to the postproduction for the AVID, which has been a USP (unique selling point) when shooting high demanding aerials. Or do i need to reconsider shooting in QuickTime witch tend to work smoth with all my clients Final Cut workstations?
Tobias Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Tobias,

I have not heard of that problem.

I hope some of our Avid users will respond to your question soon.
Old October 31st, 2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Tobias,

Are they using AMA?

I believe 5.0.3.5 is a fairly new version of Avid.

I know that we worked in 5.0.3.2,

But, we need comments from our expert Avid users.
Old October 31st, 2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Trustee

Avid is OK to Edit But No AMA :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Tobias,

I have not heard of that problem.

I hope some of our Avid users will respond to your question soon.
....Hi Dan & Tobias: Avid AMA simply doesn't work with Nano or XDR files ! They say it does, but I have *NEVER* been able to AMA a CD file into my Avid System (4.0.5.12) (Patch 12). Avid & CD say it has been working since Avid Media Composer 4.0.1.x but it just doesn't work ! I can import and edit CD video files into AMC fine.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If you can send a sample, I'll check my two Avid systems.
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Tourist

FTP for you

Great, please send me a email: tobias@cineflex.se
I will reply with login and pass.
Tobias Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:56 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I just dropped this into my Avids (both unpatched 5.0.xx.xx on Windows 7) and it worked nicely. I did a color correction on it, played with it in Magic Bullet, everything worked as expected.
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Trustee

Ama ?

Hi Perrone:
What do you mean by, "You dropped it in ?" Did you successfully AMA it or import it ? I can also work on CD files in Avid Media Composer without issue, but I can't AMA them, and this is what I really need to do with them :-(
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Hello Tobias,
I second Perrone. If you would like send me a file sample I'll try a test via AMA and regular import in my AVID. I did a test (it is in this forum different thread) and AVID does AMA from NF 280Mbps just fine
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...mxf-files.html
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:31 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Hi Perrone:
What do you mean by, "You dropped it in ?" Did you successfully AMA it or import it ? I can also work on CD files in Avid Media Composer without issue, but I can't AMA them, and this is what I really need to do with them :-(
I was able to do both. I used "Link to AMA File" since I had no card structure. Tie file loaded properly into the bin.
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM   #11
Trustee

AMA in Which MC Version ?

Hi Perrone:
May I know which version of Avid Media Composer that is which worked with AMA.
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:38 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Job View Post
Hi Perrone:
May I know which version of Avid Media Composer that is which worked with AMA.
I installed Version 5 the day it shipped and it has not been patched.
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:43 PM   #13
Major Player

@ Tobias

Hello Tobias,
Thank you for the file. I've AVID v5.0.3.5 and everything went nice and smooth with AMA to file and by importing the file into AVID the regular way. I have a screen grabs that I've emailed to you with some explanations. Also, I exported it as a 8bit uncompressed QT for your reference. I can't email the file to you. If you would like to have it please advise. Hope all that would help you resolving your problem.
Cheers
Luben
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #14
Trustee

BTW, OP-Atom is the type of MXF structure that Avid uses for its media. It's a very simple version of MXF where each "essence" is stored in a separate file. So if you have one video track and two audio tracks, the OP-Atom MXF will contain three files (one video and two audio). But why your client got the error message, IDK.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey