DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   NanoFlash Remote Tally Operating Cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/486871-nanoflash-remote-tally-operating-cable.html)

Anthony McErlean October 31st, 2010 06:15 PM

NanoFlash Remote Tally Operating Cable

I had a little incident regarding a SxS card problem at the weekend.

You know better than I but I think you have to be recording to cards in the slots to enable the TC to work the NF (I think thats the way of it) so if a cards stops or fills up the nano will not capture to CF.

I thought would the NanoFlash Remote Tally Operating Cable allow you to bypass this.
Does it allow on/off recording regardless of card.

Dan Keaton October 31st, 2010 07:51 PM

Dear Anthony,

If you setup the nanoFlash to trigger on Timecode - System|Trigger|Timecode (TC) - then the camera must be incrementing timecode for the nanoFlash to record.

The camera will stop rolling timecode, if the recording stops when the SxS cards are full, or for other cameras, if the tape or other media is full.

You can trigger with the Record Button on the nanoFlash.

Also, if you have one of our Remote Control cables, and System|Trigger|Record & Remote is selected or System|Trigger|Remote is selected, then you can use the remote control to trigger the nanoFlash.

If there are no cards in the SxS slot, the camera will not roll timecode.

Yes, using either the Record Button, or the Remote Control, you can trigger the nanoFlash and record without any SxS cards in your camera or media in any other camera.

I hope this helps.

Anthony McErlean November 1st, 2010 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1583991)
Yes, using either the Record Button, or the Remote Control, you can trigger the nanoFlash and record without any SxS cards in your camera or media in any other camera.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Dan, the Remote Control might be the best option for my needs.
This would leave the NF independent from the camera, meaning, if there was a fault with the media and the camera stooped recording to card the NF would still carry on recording,

Thanks.

Dan Keaton November 1st, 2010 05:22 AM

Dear Anthony,

Yes, that is correct.

Anthony McErlean November 1st, 2010 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1584048)
Dear Anthony,

Yes, that is correct.

Thanks Dan.

Olof Ekbergh November 1st, 2010 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I often use the Free Run setting in my cameras and jam time code to TOD (time of day) on all the cameras.

This way the NF and other media (SxS tape or whatever) will all record the same (within a few frames anyway) TC.

I like the remote trigger cable with the NF it is then possible to trigger 2 or more cameras from one central location. The tally light is a great addition, you can tell at a glance if the NF is recording even away from the camera.

Below is a cell phone photo of an interview setup where I run 2 cameras from one position using the remote cable, also note the 2 monitors for checking frame. This is a very comfortable way to record for hours on end running 2 cams.

Anthony McErlean November 1st, 2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1584059)
The tally light is a great addition, you can tell at a glance if the NF is recording even away from the camera.

Thanks Olof, I might have to invest in the remote cable.

Andrew Stone November 2nd, 2010 07:15 AM

Hi Olof,

Have a look at this thread. People are wondering about the details behind your methodoogy behind triggering more than one camera from the nanoFlash remote.

Garrett Low November 2nd, 2010 11:35 AM

Hi Olaf,

Could you take a look at the thread that Andrew has in his post and tell me if I'm trying to create something that already exists? Also, any thoughts you might have on how what would be good to include. I like the tally lamp.

Thanks,
Garrett

Olof Ekbergh November 2nd, 2010 01:25 PM

Sorry if I confused anyone here.

My setup is very simple.

The EX1R (B-cam) on the right has a NF with remote cable (including Tally light). I just run the cable over to the EX3 on the left. That camera is triggered by the Remote button from the lens, on the tripod arm. I just tape the EX1R remote NF trigger to the arm as well, and push both buttons if I want to record with both.

I often use only one of the cameras for a while, to record discussions with the talent, interviewer, producer, director myself etc. for the record. But I can instantly trigger the other cam as well w/o moving. It is also nice to see the tally light on the trigger cable.

I am standing or sitting at the camera on the left, during the shoot. I can this way monitor and run both cams very easily.

I also always place the talent in the shade (natural or scrim on a stand), I then light to match the sunlight. This way the exposure stays the same on the talent if the sun goes behind a cloud. So I don't have to change the exposure on the cams. I frame the B-cam wide. And adjust the A-cam if I have to.

This system works well if the budget does not allow for second cam operator. I do a lot of these interviews and we sometimes interview 8 or more people in a day, so the days get long. It is nice to be comfortable, it keeps you more alert.

It would be very easy to set up a multi cam trigger, I can think of many ways to do this. Either using pinouts and a multi switch (separate contacts made with one button push). Or a relay based system, that is one switch activates multiple relays that push individual buttons. Don't laugh, I have used this method in amusement parks for complex show control. It works very well and is very customizable, though somewhat old school at this point.