Overheating In Cold Weather - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old November 27th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Dear David,

We will have the firmware fix in our next firmware.

In the meantime, you could try some type of thermal wrap for the nanoFlash.

All we have to do is to get the nanoFlash above freezing to start, then keep it, internally, above that temperature.

Since the nanoFlash will typically work fine, if started above freezing, and then exposed to very cold temperatures, I have a few possibilities.

1. Put the nanoFlash in Zip Lock bag with a hand warmer or add even more insulation.
2. Power up the nanoFlash, using a second battery while it is warmer than freezing.

No amount of insulation will protect the nanoFlash from getting below freezing, if the nanoFlash and its thermal protection is exposed to cold whether and the nanoFlash is powered off. Eventually it will get cold.

This will be a lot easier once we release the firmware with the fix.

On one shoot, the nanoFlashes were powered up a normal temperatures, then flown to 99,200 feet and minus 75F (-59C). Since the units were powered on, they self heated and stayed above freezing.

They were also in a very thin styrofoam case for some protection. This case had two nanoFlashes, a radio transmitter, a GPS unit, some other electronics and a battery.

Please be aware that one also has to keep the CompactFlash cards warm.
Unless you are using special cards, they will not work at very cold temperatures.

The Delkin CombatPro CompactFlash cards are designed to work over a wider temperature range.
Old November 27th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Insulation

Hi Dan,

Actually we did insulate the nanoFlash and had it warm until we needed to use it. Plus made a box from a thick rubber sleeping mat for use in cold temperatures. Then packed hand warmers around the nanoFlash. The unit stayed on for about 20 secs and then shut down when no longer inside my jacket. Unit fired up fine when back in the warmth of a vehicle or building. It is a 'big' ask to have gear work under these conditions as it was terribly cold but would not recommend that any one rely on any gear working at these temperatures with out doing extensive testing.

I have spent extended periods working in Arctic conditions and have was not surprised this happened. My Panasonic HDX 900 also started acting strange, the record button froze etc..... Canon 5D had reduced battery life......

I would suggest a housing for the nanoFlash when using under these conditions, with a heating element. That or the low tech method of long cables and keeping the unit inside your jacket. I had to keep any batteries inside my jacket and use a long cable to power video cameras, otherwise their capacity was drastically reduced.

David
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #18
Regular Crew

The latest beta firmware definitley stopped this problem with my unit, or at least it is working at much lower temperatures than before. It has been powering up flawlessly in weather down to 10 Fahrenheit, where it was failing to work in the upper 20s before.
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Lba progress error

Is there a direct interpretation of this message? During a worship service recording today, when a card change was forced, the second card recorded only about 25 MB before giving this message. This was clearly not a cold environment, but possibly the opposite. These cards have worked flawlessly many times before, though this is only the second time the forced switch was applied.

Our firmware was updated to the latest public version a couple of weeks ago.

Any help before next Sunday would be greatly appreciated.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Re: Overheating In Cold Weather

Dear Larry,

This is an error message that we generate when we cannot properly communicate with a CompactFlash card.

What Brand and Type of CompactFlash card were you using?

Where the cards formatted in the nanoFlash?

Where the cards purchased from a reputable source?

Please feel free to send me a private email and I will do my best to assist.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey