DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   ConCat X Quicktime File CONCATENATE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/487998-concat-x-quicktime-file-concatenate.html)

Andy Mangrum November 24th, 2010 05:05 PM

ConCat X Quicktime File CONCATENATE

Hello Everyone,

This is Andy with Convergent Design, and we are excited to inform everyone about our new file concatenate for our Quicktime Files. This will be released here on DV info as a beta form, So that everyone can try it out, and Give us feedback of what you like, and what you don't like, as well as inform us with any issues that arise.Then we will post it on our website with any improvements.

We have done some pretty extensive testing with it, and quite simply it Works!

But Everyone should read the README before use,

Also Note the Following about Quicktime (From Quicktime Improved Playback Snow Leopard post)

That with new installs of Snow Leopard it installs Quicktime X found here:
Apple - Mac OS X - What is Mac OS X - QuickTime X

Which is Optimized for H.264 Video's as well as you tube,

But if you install Regular Quicktime Player 7.6.6+ found Here:
Apple - QuickTime - Download

you will notice that you now have Time code back again, as well as File Playback is much improved playing the exact same files from before

Also note that Files play just fine in Final Cut Pro regardless of Which Quicktime Player you use.

But Quicktime 7 Is required for using ConCat X Quicktime File CONCATENATE

So To Use Quicktime 7 instead of Quicktime X Right click on a Quicktime file and Get Info,

Then select the option "Open's Width" to Quicktime 7 Found under Utilities, and Lastly select the option "Change All"

Special Thanks to nick from resonancerecords.org

And for all of our MXF Customers we are currently looking into a solution for you as well.

Best Regards

Andy Mangrum

Piotr Wozniacki November 24th, 2010 05:21 PM

Hi Andy,

Exciting!

Are you planning on a similar tool for the MXF files?

Piotr

Rafael Amador November 24th, 2010 05:56 PM

Hi Andy,
That sounds great.
I don't try it right now, because here is 2.AM.
Tomorrow I'll send you my feedback.
Cheers,
rafael

Billy Steinberg November 24th, 2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Mangrum (Post 1591726)
...snip...Also Note the Following about Quicktime (From Quicktime Improved Playback Snow Leopard post)

That with new installs of Snow Leopard it installs Quicktime X found here:... snip...

But if you install Regular Quicktime Player 7.6.6+ found Here:...snip...

But Quicktime 7 Is required for using ConCat X Quicktime File CONCATENATE

So To Use Quicktime 7 instead of Quicktime X Right click on a Quicktime file and Get Info,

Then select the option "Open's Width" to Quicktime 7 Found under Utilities, and Lastly select the option "Change All"...snip...

Thanks for the great program; I'll try to test it out next week when I get back!

You should note however, that you're confusing (in your message and in the Read Me file included with your download) the difference between Quicktime and Quicktime Player. Quicktime is the whole underlying system for video, and Quicktime Player is but one of many players that are available. Snow Leopard installs Quicktime X and Quicktime Player. If you had the earlier player (also just called Quicktime Player), it is replaced with a player called Quicktime Player 7, and moved to your Utilities folder. If you didn't have Quicktime Player installed when you installed Snow Leopard (or you just started out with Snow Leopard, or did a wipe of your drive before installing it), then Quicktime Player 7 is normally NOT installed by default. Quicktime Player 7 is available as an optional install on the Snow Leopard install discs, so it can always be installed that way. In fact, that's the only "legit" way to install Quicktime Player 7 on a Snow Leopard system.

Snow Leopard does NOT support Quicktime 7. Quicktime 7 will NOT install on Snow Leopard. If you look at your download link for Quicktime 7 you will note that it is specifically for Leopard, NOT for Snow Leopard. Your program requires Quicktime Player 7, not Quicktime 7. Trying to get Quicktime Player 7 by downloading the installer you site is a waste of time; the Quicktime 7 installer will NOT let you install anything on Snow Leopard.

And speaking of installers, why did you package your program as an installer file, particularly one that requires root permissions, rather than just zipping the application and read me file? And with regard to your note in the read me file: "This Application is Script Based, therefore any modification to it, Convergent Design Inc, is not responsible for any errors that may Occur.", you saved the script as run-only; no one can even read it, let alone change it.

Billy

ps Sorry for the shouting, I just thought it was important to point out, in that it will save users a lot of frustration, and save you a zillion questions for help...

pps Applescript can check for the specific existence of Quicktime Player 7, and present the user with an appropriate message if it's not available. It can also specifically pass the dropped files to Quicktime Player 7, even if the user has not told the OS to launch all .mov files with Quicktime Player 7. Since your Applescript is run-only, I can't look at it to make suggestions (and I really don't have the time now anyway), but I thought you might like to know.

Dan Keaton November 24th, 2010 06:43 PM

Dear Billy,

Thank you for your very helpful post.

Bob Griffiths November 24th, 2010 07:53 PM

Thanks to all at CD! I'll give this a shot over the weekend.

Any news on the concatenate-through-ShotPut Pro front? Or did I miss it?

Thanks again!

Garrett Low November 24th, 2010 08:07 PM

Thanks to CD for really listening to their customers and fulfilling our numerous wish lists. Since I'm a non-FCP person, I'm eagerly awaiting your solution for those of us sticking in the MXF relm. Do you have an ETA for your MXF concatenation program?

Thanks,
Garrett

Greg Booth November 24th, 2010 08:18 PM

QT Player 7 download for Snow Leopard

To all,

The below link

Apple - QuickTime - Download and watch videos, movies, and TV shows.

will take you to two different webpages if you use FireFox or Safari on a Mac Computer with 10.6 (i.e. Snow Leopard)

If you use FireFox - you will be taken to a webpage showing Iron Man - and you can only download QT Player 7 for Leopard on that webpage.

However if you use Safari with that link - you won't see the 'Iron Man' webpage - instead it'll be a guy surfing and there will be a link to download QT Player 7 for Snow Leopard (look bottom right of screen)

and clicking on that link should take you here:

QuickTime Player 7.6.6 for Mac OS X v10.6.3

where you can download QT Player 7 for Snow Leopard (which will install to the /Applications/Utilities folder)

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Billy Steinberg November 24th, 2010 10:26 PM

Well done Greg, and thanks, as this is a second "approved" way to get Quicktime Player 7, and will serve well those that can't find their Snow Leopard install discs.

Billy

Dan Keaton November 25th, 2010 05:21 AM

Dear Billy,

Andy will be back at work after the Thanksgiving Holiday.

I expect him to make the changes you have suggested then.

Andy Mangrum December 2nd, 2010 12:33 PM

New Version ConCat X 1.2 Leopard / Snow Leopard

Hello Everyone,

First I wanted to apologize if there was any confusion with the terminology referring to Quicktime Player,

I have updated ConCat X to include some fixes as will as some of the suggested idea's, Note: Now there is a Snow Leopard Version, as well as a Leopard Version, So make sure you download the correct one.

There also has been some changes to the readme and installer to hopefully clarify any previous confusion, and hopefully help with the ease of use.

Best Regards

Andy Mangrum

Andy Mangrum December 17th, 2010 03:51 PM

ConCat X Update!

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Everyone,

We have updated ConCat X so we support Mac OS 10.4 Tiger,10.5 Leopard, and 10.6 Snow Leopard

Here are the new version's

And these are also available on our website

Downloads | Convergent Design | Professional Video Recorders and Converters

Best Regards

Piotr Wozniacki December 18th, 2010 08:02 AM

Dear Andy,

May I repeat my question:

Are you planning on a similar tool for the MXF files, under Windows?

Thanks,

Piotr

Dan Keaton December 18th, 2010 08:12 AM

Dear Piotr,

We have not yet investigated what it would take to create a Concatenation program for MXF files.

We welcome input from our friends, as always.

Andy is the one who spends countless hours testing every feature and option in our firmware.

Piotr Wozniacki December 18th, 2010 11:55 AM

Dear Dan,

A couple of year ago I was using the Sony V1E HDV camera, along with the DR-60 HDD recorder unit. Just like the nanoFlash, it also saved the *.m2t files in <4GB chunks (FAT32 limitation). There was a free utility on the Sony website that would concatenate the chunks seamlessly.

Of course you're aware that currrently, the *.mp4 XDCAM EX files can be concatenated by the Clip Browser, when you merge their residing directories (this appllies to both the <4GB chunks, and to card-spanning clips).

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would very much appreciate the effort from CD to create a similar utility. Especially with multi-camera edits (when each take change creates a break on the timeline), any additional breaks to clip/take continuity can create more unnecessary confusion....

I realize it takes time and effort - the more grateful I'd be!

Piotr