DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   New Sandisk 2TB compact Flash Card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/488328-new-sandisk-2tb-compact-flash-card.html)

Lance Librandi December 1st, 2010 11:27 PM

New Sandisk 2TB compact Flash Card

Hello Dan,
I have just been reading about SanDisk, Nikon and Sony propose 500 MB per sec memory cards with over 2 TB capacity

SanDisk, Nikon and Sony propose 500 MB per sec memory cards with over 2 TB capacity

I am just considering what the implication would be for Nanoflash user and will can the current devices support up to 2tb?

Hey Mark this is what you need for uncompressed.

Thanks
Lance

Dan Keaton December 2nd, 2010 02:19 AM

Dear Lance,

Thank you for posting this.

We have been following the progress of the CompactFlash Card Association spec's, with Version 6 being the latest approved spec.

After the spec is finalized, then manufacturers can build the parts.

We will keep an eye on this.

To really reach 2 TB, one needs some very small memory chips, if one is going to fit it into a CompactFlash cards.

Axtremex's 128 GB CompactFlash card is now in production after having past a full month of continuous testing in our lab. Our plans are to ship within three weeks.

Mark Job December 2nd, 2010 04:29 PM

Cool ! Cool ! Very Cool !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance Librandi (Post 1594079)
Hello Dan,
I have just been reading about SanDisk, Nikon and Sony propose 500 MB per sec memory cards with over 2 TB capacity

SanDisk, Nikon and Sony propose 500 MB per sec memory cards with over 2 TB capacity

I am just considering what the implication would be for Nanoflash user and will can the current devices support up to 2tb?

Hey Mark this is what you need for uncompressed.

Thanks
Lance

Hey Lance:
I'm going to head over and check out your link listed here and see what I can see. Imagine my wonderful Flash XDR with 4 Slots striped Raid 0 and uncompressed recording ? Wooo Hoooo !!! Even with Dan's announcement of the 128 GB CF cards, this makes more and more sense. With a Nano Flash, all you'd have to do is insert 2 x 2 TB CF cards and they could just live there permanently :-) No need to take them out, since you would always have enough space to record. Even in uncompressed (Don't think the Nano can do uncompressed, but the XDR should be able to). I can still dream :-)

Lance Librandi December 2nd, 2010 04:55 PM

Dear Dan,
Thanks for that insight this has highlighted to me that the compact flash card system is the predominate card format. I was surprised by Sony's involvement as they have always maintained there own cards system one can only wonder about the future of SxS card system.

Dan Keaton December 2nd, 2010 05:15 PM

Dear Lance,

The new spec's are very exciting.

I feel that the CompactFlash card has always been a professional choice, especially for high bit-rate recording like we do in the nanoFlash.

When one steps back and thinks about it, we have proven that with a fast CompactFlash card, one can very sucessfully record video at 280 Mbps, video that is very close visually to uncompressed.

We could not do this with a lessor card, such as the SDHC cards.

And, with a more modest 400x or 450x card, one can still record 220 Mbps with the nanoFlash.
Of course, one may be spiltting hairs between the quality of our 220 and 280 Mbps modes.