Nanoflash as a pool recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:44 PM   #1
New Boot

Nanoflash as a pool recorder

Hi folks,

I'm interested in using the Nanoflash as a compact and cost-effective SDI pool recorder.

Has anyone used them in this scenario?

Can they be set to record regardless of feed interruptions etc? (ie a deck such as an HVR 1500 will just keep recording black if a feed is interrupted - essential in an environment where one doesn't control everything).

Can you see the timecode in the window during recording, and is it large enough to log from? (Obviously they'd be plugged in to monitors too).

I'm renting one for a couple of days to test it for myself, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone has an experience themselves that they could share.

Tape decks are big, heavy, expensive and costly in excess baggage, but producers like them, surely there's got to be a bullet-proof and cost-effective tapeless solution!

Cheers,

James
James Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear James,

If the HD-SDI (or SD-SDI) feed is interrupted, then the nanoFlash will close the current file.
Then when the feed returns, the nanoFlash will start recording again automatically.

Yes, you can see the timecode in the nanoFlashes LCD at all times, while recording or not. Yes, it is readable.

I think it will work fine for you.

With two of the new 128 GB cards, expected to be shipping in less than three weeks, you can record broadcast quality, uninterrupted, for approximately 10 hours and 40 minutes.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:38 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for your fast response Dan.

It sounds very interesting indeed. I look forward to testing it myself. The feeds (I'll be recording 2 of them - double the reason to have a compact solution) will be SD-SDI.

With the new firmware will the nanoflash automatically switch between cards seamlessly when one fills up? (I ask because they tend to rent with 32GB cards over here in the UK).

I'd still love to hear from anyone with real-world experience of using the Nanoflash in an ENG pool-feed type scenario if you're out there!

Cheers,

James
James Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear James,

We have automatically, and seamlessly switched from one card to the next since day one.

With our current Public Beta, we support Hot Swapping.

In SD, you can record in IMX, 30, 40 or 50 Mbps.

Also, if desired, you can record a pre-rendered MPG file for a SD DVD, in 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 Mbps.

I recomment the IMX 30, 40 or 50 Mbps if you are going to edit the files.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:43 PM   #5
New Boot

Great, thanks.

I'll post back once I've played around with one.

James
James Vernon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey