1st job nano only - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 15th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Amador View Post
Yes Robin, but when you can use a single 2TB HD, you don't need to manage 20 x 50Gbs disks.
For storage I'm using duplicated FW400/USB-2 Hds. In two standard HD I put the same than in 50 disks.Cheaper and faster transfer speed than BRs.
No need to transfer footage when needed. You can edit directly from those HDs.
Any other operation (cloning/coping) is easier and faster.
BluRay is NOT suitable for this purpose. If this is how you were using BluRay, I can certainly undertand why drives are a better solution for you.

Quote:
When I bought my BR in 2007, HDs were smaller and more expensive. BR was an option. Now, I wouldn't go that way.
Makes sense given how you describe your use.

Quote:
One of the reasons made me adopt the BR is that I thought that some time most computers would have BR player. Is not like that (at least with Macs). if I wan't to travel with my BRs, I have to carry the bulky BR player wherever I go.
Well, that's an issue with the man at the top of Apple. You can get a BluRay player or burner on all but the very cheapest of PCs at this point. And I cannot see the utility of traveling with BluRay.

Quote:
I've definitely stopped with the BRs when I started shooting with the NANO.
Rafael
OK.

The point here is that you seem to be using BluRay as backup. Or you were. It's not good for that. No optical solution is. The idea of BluRay is archival. Something to use once your project is done and delivered. You don't WANT to be going back to them. They are there for reference only.

Used in the correct context, as short term archival media, I feel BluRay is an excellent choice at this time. But they make exceptionally poor backups.
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Perrone,
I agree with you that BR still being a good solution for environments "wider" than mine.
I wish I could manage a double-format workflow for back-up/archiving, but:
- I archive almost 100% of what I shoot.
- I'm a "one-man-band".
I have to simplify. With HDs, I can back-up and pre-archive on the field.
Back home, I clean and organize the stuff, clone the HD, and erase the CF and SxS cards.
Even this simple system give me headaches :-)
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Rafael and Perrone

Ok thanks for the info.. so once you put a video clip on a BR.. its not so easy to just drag it off again?

Thanks
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Probyn View Post
Hi Rafael and Perrone

Ok thanks for the info.. so once you put a video clip on a BR.. its not so easy to just drag it off again?

Thanks
Yes, it's easy. It's just a LOT slower than doing it with a hard drive. Let's say I was working on a project due on Dec 31. I'd keep it on multiple HDD until delivery. Once the project is delivered and signed off, I'll clean off my temporary files, but keep the sources and project file intact for another 30 days or until the project "airs". I do a lot of project that are for single play use. Let's say the project is going to air on Jan. 15. On January 16, I will take the project files, source media, deliverable, etc., and commit them to bluray. There is no going back and fixing anything, the project has already fulfilled it's purpose.

Once its on bluray and the disk is verified, I scrub the project off my drives and prepare for the next project. I've had people come to me 6 months, a year, or 2 years later, ask me about an old project. If they want to see it, I can go to the bluray, copy off the compressed version I put on there and give that to them on a CD.

It would take me 15 minutes to do that if the material were stored on a HD. It might take me 30-45 minutes to do the same off BluRay. The hard drive would cost me many times what the cost of a bluray would.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey