Missed recordings in the cold - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old December 31st, 2010, 03:08 AM   #16
Major Player

I have to agree with you Daniel! I've seen HD-SDI cable advertised somewhere that has built in right angle connections, so will have a look for these.
I use one of Olaf Eckbergs (spelling?) mounting kits (recommended) which I got via the Nanoflash store. A bit cramped so right angled connections useful,

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 03:59 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

Based on Daniel's advice, one has a choice.

Avoid 90 degree BNC adapters.

or

Use high-quality 90 degree BNC adpaters, if necessary, carry a spare, and immediately suspect it if you have problems.

HD-SDI and SDI signals require good cables and good connectors (all must be 75 Ohm).

But, it is not like the analog world, the signal is either good enough or it is not.

Stated differently:

If you are getting a signal, then the signal that you are getting is 100% perfect.

or

If there is a problem with the cables or connectors, you will get nothing.
Of course the problem could be intermittent, so you may get a signal sometimes then nothing.

Also, all connecting devices introduce some loss in signal level or quality.

This is fine for most applications as the signal is still good enough to deliver the signal 100%.

But, for very long cable runs, one must avoid the use of adapters and barrel connectors in order for the signal to be strong enough and clean enough for the receiving equipment to be able to capture the original signal 100%.
Old January 1st, 2011, 04:16 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I remember some years ago seeing all kinds of problems with BNC cables. I turned out to be caused by the use of 50 ohm BNC plugs on equipment with 75 ohm sockets. The 50 ohm pin is fatter and this bends the contacts of the socket so next time a 75 ohm connector is used the connection can be intermittent.
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:24 PM   #19
Major Player

An outfit in the UK called "Hawks Wood" makes HD-SDI cables with a 90 degree BNC connector at one end.
Markets these under "nanoflash" on their web site. Not cheap but in the context of a camera plus nano ?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey