Requesting FeedBack on 1.6.245 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 6th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
We are trying to work in your request.

I am thinking that 1/2 second would be long enough to tell the difference between an accidental press of the Stop Button versus the intentional stopping of the recording.
Thanks! I'm thinking that a 1/2 second is not quite long enough. Though I would prefer two seconds, I feel that a one second delay is probably more appropriate to prevent accidental stoppage while not causing users to think that the stop button isn't working. Say "one thousand one" to yourself and see if you feel that's too long.

My concern is that 1/2 second is still short enough that when one accidentally presses the stop button and feels the click, that reaction time to release the stop button may take longer than a half second delay allows for.

The reason I brought this up in first place is that I use my nano as a stand alone recorder, not attached to a camera, and when I don't have it velcro'ed to a wall, picking it up and moving it a little while it's recording is a bit difficult. There aren't two opposing sides without "stuff" on them. You don't want to pick it up holding the right and left sides, as the CF cards are on one of those sides. You don't want to pick it up holding the top and bottom, because the cables are on one of those sides. You don't want to pick it up holding the face and back, because the control buttons are on one those sides. So however you pick it up, you have to be careful.

I certainly wouldn't mind a setting that turned "stop button delay when recording" on and off, if you feel that a delay would confuse and annoy as many people as it helped...

Billy
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Audio Delay

Hi Andy
I was using the 24sf out of the camera at 18mb

Dan thinks it was the 18mb that was causing the problem.

and since it was only when playing back from the nano to the field monitor

I really not as concerned as I first was.

I going to do more test now and I will get back with results
Rob Dommermuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #18
Major Player

Dear Dan,
On the delay subject once you introduce a delay factor I am concerned that this now prevents the Nanoflash from been controlled by other devices that issue a momentary on or off sequence such as GPI outputs found on many video switchers DVD recorders etc. Perhaps a menu option to select a pre-set delay or no delay may be the way to go. Please do not prevent the Nanoflash from been machine controlled I really do think that the Nanoflash now needs user profiles as it's going to be very difficult to please everyone.
Thanks
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

The nanoFlash has a special Trigger Mode, "Remote Level" designed specifically to work well with machine control.

In this mode, if the switch is closed, or the relay is activated, we record.
If the switch is opened, or the relay released, we stop recording.

Thus, there is no conflict.

This mode also has some applications when using our wired remote control.

Press and Hold the Switch and we record, release it and we stop.
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Steinberg View Post
Thanks! I'm thinking that a 1/2 second is not quite long enough. Though I would prefer two seconds, I feel that a one second delay is probably more appropriate to prevent accidental stoppage while not causing users to think that the stop button isn't working. Say "one thousand one" to yourself and see if you feel that's too long.

My concern is that 1/2 second is still short enough that when one accidentally presses the stop button and feels the click, that reaction time to release the stop button may take longer than a half second delay allows for.

The reason I brought this up in first place is that I use my nano as a stand alone recorder, not attached to a camera, and when I don't have it velcro'ed to a wall, picking it up and moving it a little while it's recording is a bit difficult. There aren't two opposing sides without "stuff" on them. You don't want to pick it up holding the right and left sides, as the CF cards are on one of those sides. You don't want to pick it up holding the top and bottom, because the cables are on one of those sides. You don't want to pick it up holding the face and back, because the control buttons are on one those sides. So however you pick it up, you have to be careful.

I certainly wouldn't mind a setting that turned "stop button delay when recording" on and off, if you feel that a delay would confuse and annoy as many people as it helped...

Billy
Dear Billy,

Thanks, we will try to program it as you have requested.

But, I am not certain when we can work it in, but we do want to do it.
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I wouldn't want this to delay the release of the current beta firmware (1.6.245). There is so much stuff in this beta that is much more significant than "long stop press". I'm one of those people that would rather you test, verify, and release a solid firmware before asking you to add features.

I have a few "requests" that I plan on asking for (or asking for again) once 1.6.245 is deemed production level. ;)

Billy
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #22
Sponsor: Convergent Design

18 MB Audio Issue

Hello Rob,

Thank you for your post, We were able to replicate the Issue here in our Lab, The Issue only occurs with 18Mb Playback out of the nanoFlash, the audio that is recorded to the files is fine. Also It is not Format dependent (1080psf24) but Only Occurs with 18Mb LG Quicktime and MXF, We also tested various other bit rates and formats and had no issues, Including MPG,

If you actually count in front of the camera you will see that playback actually jumps around, rather than being 3-4 Seconds off,

But Our Engineer's are currently putting in a Fix for the Full release.

Best Regards
Old January 7th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi Andy,

this concurs with my findings also, I did several tests last night and found

the problem only happened at 18mb.

Thanks
Rob Dommermuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Delay

I'm getting in late to comment on Dan's thought of 1/2 second delay (versus the 2 second one now). I FULLY agree with half a second and suggested it a couple of months ago.

2 seconds is TOO long for a fast moving production (as I usually work). So I've accidentally left the recording on THINKING I had held it long enough to stop. Quite irritating.

Half second is indeed long enough to be "different" from an accidental push.
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I'm talking about the front panel stop button, not the remote control button. Right now there is NO delay when pressing the stop button, and no ability to turn on a delay. Dan asked if a half second was enough, and I mentioned that while two seconds would be what I preferred, one second would enough.

I still feel that a half second is NOT enough for the front panel stop switch, for the reasons I mentioned in my message above. When one picks up the nano from a table, or moves it from one position on the table to another, it's easy to accidentally hit the stop button. When one feels the "click" of the button, it takes more than a half second to realize and release the button.

I don't use a remote on/off button, so I have no experience with it, and I wouldn't presume to tell you what your usage should be, in any case.

Billy
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey