Next NanoFlash device ideas ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 9th, 2011, 12:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Next NanoFlash device ideas ...

I'm starting this thread as 'food for thought' on where Convergent Design can go, or may hopefully go and/or should go with the next incarnation of their wonderful NanoFlash. I'd like to see: dual HD/SDI recording capabilities to SSD and/or CF in S-log or ProRes 4.4.4 in addition to existing 4.2.2 single HD/SDI, 2 XLR audio imputs, SD & HD recording capabilities maintained with attendant framing at 4.3, 16.9 and academy framing at 1.375:1,and should I say it ... 2.39:1 .... there's more I'm sure!

Last edited by Dean Harrington; January 9th, 2011 at 01:29 AM.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Yep,

they should have that lot done by morning tea time. Hmmm. What will they do for the rest of the day?

Cheers

Russ
Russell Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
I'm starting this thread as 'food for thought' on where Convergent Design can go, or may hopefully go and/or should go with the next incarnation of their wonderful NanoFlash. I'd like to see: dual HD/SDI recording capabilities to SSD and/or CF in S-log or ProRes 4.4.4 in addition to existing 4.2.2 single HD/SDI, 2 XLR audio imputs, SD & HD recording capabilities maintained with attendant framing at 4.3, 16.9 and academy framing at 1.375:1,and should I say it ... 2.39:1 .... there's more I'm sure!
Note that a bunch of your ideas aren't in the domain of the recorder. Going backwards, your "framing" request is handled completely by the camera (the source), not by the recorder, which will record whatever aspect ratio you send it. The only exception comes when shooting SD, where the recorder should make sure the 16:9 or 4:3 flag is set appropriately, and where the nano already has this flag setting available. Same thing with S-Log; it's a source function, not a recorder function, and the nano currently supports it. The two XLR inputs are included in Convergent Designs original XDR recorder (no longer being manufactured, as far as I know, but still available from some dealers). It apparently was in such small demand compared to the nano that they stopped making them (their reasoning in stopping is just a guess on my part; I have no specific knowledge of their actual reason).

Going to dual-link (or 3G SDI, the same thing for the sake of this discussion) might be useful to a few at this point, as might 4:4:4. Changing this is out of the question with the current nano design, and would probably require a completely new device (as would using the ProRes codec from Apple, as compared to the MPEG2 codec from Sony that's currently used).

What I'd like is a new "case" for my nano, with a higher resolution full color screen, which could also show the playback of recorded stuff, and "real" illuminated buttons instead of the current ones. :) All of these features would have bad side effects though; the nano would become larger and heavier and more expensive. I'm not sure that the tradeoff would appeal to many.

But I really would like a better screen, particularly if I could review clips with it...

Billy
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I say, abandon proprietary codecs and go open source with the codec and the container for the next nanoFlash. Do remember that the MPEG-LA expects fees to the manufacturers of such devices and going to a codec like VP8 from Google might solve some of those problems.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Nanoflash ...

The whole point of the discussion is to go over what is possible and what can be done in a new device that maintains a similar package as the present recorder.
Perhaps, it's possible for convergent design to rethink the XDR as providing dual link HD/SDI, 3G SDI, and going in the direction of S-Log and/or ProRes 4.4.4.
The NanoFlash size is going to be determined by what's in the box for sure but as the HD/SDI 10 bit 4.2.2 recording option becomes standard there is no reason for convergent design not to go there and maintain profitability. Now, I do think the Cinedeck has brought the recording options to a new level and minus the monitor ... it's not a big leap to see that this is a direction that is not only possible in a small form factor but is the direction where portable recording devises are headed.

Last edited by Dean Harrington; January 9th, 2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Friends,

As always, we welcome your thoughts on improving the nanoFlash.

I am currently in Mexico City and cannot comment on the suggestions at this time.
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Dan ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Friends,

As always, we welcome your thoughts on improving the nanoFlash.

I am currently in Mexico City and cannot comment on the suggestions at this time.
Lucky guy ... enjoy the food and watch the water!
Old January 10th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #8
Major Player

The NANO is a recorder, so will answer to answer the new trends on cameras.
IMHO, improvement on the recording (10b), and Double-link (for cameras with 444 out, and 3D) is what people will need soon.
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #9
Major Player

Nanoflash ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Amador View Post
The NANO is a recorder, so will answer to answer the new trends on cameras.
IMHO, improvement on the recording (10b), and Double-link (for cameras with 444 out, and 3D) is what people will need soon.
rafael
Considering that dual HD/SDI out-puts a large file, I guess it might be a good idea for any new recorder to have the ability to record CF cards and SSD. These cards and drives are expensive at the moment but if you are doing 4.4.4 out there would have to be a budget to accommodate the costs. The other thing that is apparent is that cards and SSDs are getting faster and getting larger in data size. 128GB CFs & 256GB SSDs were 2010 models with the SanDisk's new SSDG4 writing at 220MB/sec. The next generation of SSDs will be the size of postage stamps and available in 2012 ... they run at 2GB per second.
http://www.physorg.com/news185438129.html

Last edited by Dean Harrington; January 11th, 2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #10
Major Player

its own lithium battery

similar to the firestore products is my main one, having not yet bought mine.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #11
Major Player

adam ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Letch View Post
similar to the firestore products is my main one, having not yet bought mine.
Sorry mate, I don't get your comment?
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #12
Regular Crew

G'day Dean,

you have to look at the post header to figure out the intent. He put in the post header "its own Lithium battery". followed by "similar to the firestore products is my main one, having not yet bought mine."

Read as a whole, it makes sense.

Cheers

Russ
Russell Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I would just be happy to see the current device repackaged with the option to "sandwich" between say an Anton Bauer battery and the battery mount. Then you could have the Nano draw it's power from the connection and have a conveinent way to mount it as well. Of course the display and interface would have to become a little smaller...

Oh and Pro Res would be awesome as well...

Last edited by John Cummings; January 16th, 2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: add content
John Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cummings View Post
I would just be happy to see the current device repackaged with the option to "sandwich" between say an Anton Bauer battery and the battery mount. Then you could have the Nano draw it's power from the connection and have a convenient way to mount it as well. Of course the display and interface would have to become a little smaller...

Oh and Pro Res would be awesome as well...
I have the tekkeon MP3450 but have not used it for video equipment ... will check it's capabilities with the NanoFlash.
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cummings View Post
the option to "sandwich" between say an Anton Bauer battery and the battery mount. Then you could have the Nano draw it's power from the connection and have a conveinent way to mount it as well...

...Oh and Pro Res would be awesome as well...
Thumbs up to those two. Would be nice to keep the current MPEG2 options as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey