220 mbits workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 12th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

220 mbits workflow

Hi everyone

I have been using my nano with good results For 50-100 mbits long gop, with no issues(FCP editing Color for grading (round trip) and exporting to compressor for H.264 output), however when I use 220 I-Frame, with the same workflow I get more artifacts (twittering - stairsteping) than I get with long gop 50 or 100.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sequence settings:

easy setup for xdcam hd 422 30p, change render codec to prores 422HQ
same codec for color

any help would be appreciated....thanks
Julio Veas P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Julio,

Without knowing what kind of camera you are using and the kind of settings you have on it, one is hard pressed to know what is going on.

Just a guess but I would suspect you have some in camera sharpening going on that gets smoothed out at 100 mBit but becomes more noticeable at a higher bitrate.

Do you have sharpening settings turned on in your camera? If so try turning it off and do a test shot.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Andrew

EX-1

Detail: -7
Frequency: +25
Crispening: +20

Cinema +30

Black -3

Everything else set to default

I donīt think is the camera since the settings are the same, workflow the same and the only difference is 50 or 220 mbits.

thanks
Julio Veas P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

one other thing

when I watch the footage directly out of the nano on my LCD (not proffesional grade), I donīt see any artifacts, but clearly the image is sharper at 220 mbits.

Julio
Julio Veas P. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey