DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   File /clip number (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/490622-file-clip-number.html)

Robin Probyn January 24th, 2011 02:32 AM

File /clip number

Just noticed the other day.. after a down loadI have 3 separate clip/recording icons.(thumb nails). with the same clip number. I recall this was quite a long take.. but I thought the clip number stayed the same through one non stop recording.. which would give me 1 icon

There is another with 2 separate icons.. but same clip number..??

Any reason for this. Looked in the manual and there is mention of going over card slots..?

Thanks

Robin

Dan Keaton January 24th, 2011 06:17 AM

Dear Robyn,

For long takes, we record smaller files.

The first two digits are the nanoFlash ID,

The next three numbers are the Clip Number.

The next three are the file number, starting with 001, for the first file within the clip, and this number increases for each new file that we record within the same clip.

Could you please post your filenames for these three files?

Robin Probyn January 24th, 2011 09:01 AM

Hi Dan

I guess I havnt set the id number for the nano..

Actually now I see there are a couple of double files with the same number.. but 3 number 22,s

eg 00022001 00022002 00022003

each is separate icon/thumbnail.. I thought each time I hit rec and then stopped it created its own thumbnail with a new number.. ?? confused..

the footage all plays fine..

Dan Keaton January 24th, 2011 12:47 PM

Dear Robyn,

The nanoFlash, while recording Clip 022, which was probably longer than your usual recording, created three sub-clips, 001, 002, and 003.

This is perfectly natural.

You files are 00022001, 00022002, 00022003.

To separate this out:

00-022-001
00-022-002
00-022-003

The 00 is the nanoFlash ID.

The 022 is your single clip number.

The 001, 002, 003 are the file numbers with the single clip.

Robin Probyn January 24th, 2011 04:14 PM

Hi Dan ok thanks

So in when dragged into an edit software.. these files would play as one continuous file I presume

Thanks again

Robin

Dan Keaton January 24th, 2011 06:05 PM

Dear Robyn,

With many NLE's one can highlight the first file in a directory or folder, then highlight the last, selecting all inbetween, then drag and drop the entire group into the timeline in one step.

Robin Probyn January 24th, 2011 07:28 PM

Hi Dan

Sorry to flog a dead horse..!

So a long take,as this was,with out cutting the camera.. will generate several files.. but viewing these files on my laptop with calibrated software and QT.. the files will not play seamlessly together..although it was one continuous shot ?

But after import to eg FCP.. it will play as one continuos shot..

Thanks again

Dan Keaton January 24th, 2011 09:32 PM

Dear Robyn,

In the nanoFlash the files will playback seamlessly.

In Final Cut Pro, they will playback seamlessly.

I have not tried Calibrated Software to playback multiple files, so I do not know.

Sorry.

If the files are Quicktime, ".MOV", our program to combine files will work fine.

Mike Leisegang January 25th, 2011 02:49 AM

Hi Robin,

The way I work in Avid is to import the three files for instance into Avid.
These would be three individual files. ( say from one take,)
When I lay them into my timeline in order, ( 001/002/003 ) they play seamlessly as one clip.
In other words, joined together.ie. ( Talking head, the speech would be fluid from file
001 to 003. )

Probably works this way in most editing software packages.
Outside of most NLE packages I would think they would
play as individual files as you mention earlier unless I'm missing a trick!
Except for playback in the NanoFlash itself as Dan mentioned.

Hope this helps.
I am not an Editor!
Mike.

Robin Probyn January 25th, 2011 05:11 AM

Hi Mike

Ok thanks.. yes thinking about it.. it would to play back as one seamless shot.. or Nanoflash would have a major problem with their product.. :)

But yes pretty sure they play back individually just with calibrated .. fair enough.. I was just under the impression that on/off on the camera.. would produce one thumbnail.. one file.. must be the longest take Ive done with the nanoflash so far.. hadnt noticed it before..

Thanks

Billy Steinberg January 25th, 2011 11:56 AM

The reason why

Robin,

Just FYI, the reason a long take is split into multiple clips on the nano is due to the FAT file system used to format the CF cards. The largest file size supported on the FAT file system is 4GB, so any individual file can't be any larger. The FAT file system, though a bit antiquated now, is by far the most common, and is supported on pretty much every computer (Mac, PC, Linux).

Also, though even losing one clip can be a disaster, losing a single clip that's an hour long is much worse than losing a clip that's five minutes long. If the nano loses power, the clip that it's recording at the time is generally not recoverable, at least easily. If the clip was an hour long, you'd lose an hour worth instead of five minutes worth.

(The length of 4GB file depends on the data rate, of course. As I recall, a 4GB file recorded at 100Mb is about five minutes).

Billy

Robin Probyn January 25th, 2011 07:58 PM

Hi Billy

Thanks.. good explanation.. and yes thats a very good point re only losing one file rather than 1 hrs worth..
Is that the same with P2 cards I wonder.