EX3 + nanoFlash - Lots of Noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old January 29th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Trustee

EX3 + nanoFlash - Lots of Noise

After doing some greenscreen testing at 100Mb L-GOP, I noticed quite a bit of noise in both the 100Mb and 35Mb footage. Yes, I did read some of Piotr's very very long thread but I did not realize that the EX3 had this much noise at -3db. I even used all 56k lights (Diva 401s & Barfly 200s) because I read that there is more noise in the blue channel so 56k lamps would help in this area.

With the amount of noise I saw, I cannot see the EX-cams as being a great choice for chroma keying. Using Keylight in AE CS5, I ended up with quite a bit of fine detail being removed, such as hair, in order to get a good key because the noise created varying levels of green splotches on the greenscreen. I will test my EX1 later today and provide screen shots to show what I am seeing.

Is this amount of noise usual or unusual for an EX3?

However, this might be the perfect reason to get the F3 as I plan to use the greenscreen a lot for news shows.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Could you please share you camera setup details?

This, in my opinion, will allow others with EX1's, EX1R's and EX3 to share their collective experience and there is a chance that someone may see a setting that would cause more noise then normal.

Of course, I assume that you are very experienced shooting with the EX3.
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Trustee

Quite frankly, when it comes to green screen, I would go with the highest bit rate you can get, so with the nF that would be 280 if your card is fast enough, 220 otherwise. You might get away with less with blue screen, but green screen requires extremely high quality video. It is a lot less work in post if you get the best out of it in production.

I would also highly recommend reading Jeff Foster's book The Green Screen Handbook before as much as touching a green screen, and Steve Wright's book Digital Compositing for Film and Video, Third Edition, before starting editing the green screen footage.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Steve,

Could you please share you camera setup details?

This, in my opinion, will allow others with EX1's, EX1R's and EX3 to share their collective experience and there is a chance that someone may see a setting that would cause more noise then normal.

Of course, I assume that you are very experienced shooting with the EX3.
Dan, you just made me realize that my Picture Profile settings might be adding noise; so, I will begin testing various settings.

So, does anyone know of the best PP settings in an EX3 to minimize noise?

FYI, I have been shooting with the EX3 for 2 months and an EX1 for 1.5 yrs.

PS Has anyone shot a green screen while using a Polarizer? If so, does it help or hurt anything?

And what about the Tiffen T1 IR filter for the EX1/3 and green screen?

Thanks

On a side note, with the CF reader included with the nanoFlash, am I required to 'eject' the CF card before removing from the reader - I am using Win 7 Pro x64 and SanDisk 32GB Extreme. My PC didn't like it last night when I removed the CF card from the reader; however, I didn't notice whether it 'took a dump' when I inserted a SxS card or when I removed the CF card as I did both within seconds of each other. (I use a Siig Expresscard to PCIe adapter for the SxS cards and have never had this problem before when inserting or removing SxS cards)
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

On a Mac, the operating system likes to put some files onto a CompactFlash card when one uses the Eject Command or "Drag and Drop the Card Reader Icon to the Trash.

On a PC, Windows XP does not do this, as far as i know.

I do not know about Windows Vista.

Window's 7 writes a file to the CompactFlash card when the normal safely remove media commands are used.

Thus, for a Mac and Windows 7 an possibly Windows Vista, we recommend just pulling the card out (our pulling out the card reader). This prevents these unwanted files from being written to the CompactFlash cards.

These unwanted files cause us problems and when the card is put back into the nanoFlash one will set "Unrecognized CF Card" message.

When one just pulls the card from the computers, one will receive an error message on the Mac, just click ok as this process does not actually hurt anything.
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Standard BBC Picture profile for EX3

Hi there,

I would start off from this standard 'BBC reference' setup for the EX3.
Feel free to tweak from here, but at least it gives you a known starting point.

http://thebrownings.name/WHP034/pdf/...X1_and_EX3.pdf

Regards

Dave
Dave Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
PS Has anyone shot a green screen while using a Polarizer? If so, does it help or hurt anything?
I've found a polarizer helpful when shooting full length shots (including the feet). It allows me to dial down any direct reflective bounce I may get off the floor from the backlghts, which would otherwise make the key a little more difficult in the area of the feet, and this make the floor look 'greener' overall.

It can also be useful if there are reflective objects in the shot. (recently had to do a green screen with someone sitting at a smoked-glass-top desk. Cut the green bounce off the desk's surface way down with a pola filter.)

Of course adding a pola also means you may need more light for exposure...

Best,
Dave S.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

In your EX3, are you using Auto Gain, or Fixed Gain?

If you are using Fixed Gain, what gain setting are you using?

Page 48 and Page 55 of the EX3 manual discuss these items.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey