DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   HDV like setting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/491405-hdv-like-setting.html)

Robin Probyn February 8th, 2011 06:46 AM

HDV like setting

Is there any settings on the Nano,that is similar to HDV.. I know its odd going back wards quality wise.. I believe its because they want to up load to a FTP site..

Thanks

Dave Sperling February 8th, 2011 09:13 AM

HI Robin,
My understanding is that HDV is 1440x1080, but that the HD signal the HDV cameras output is 1920x1080.
Since the NanoFlash records at the pixel resolution output by the camera, then I'm going on the assumption that it would be recording 1920x1080, hence not really HDV-like.
Of course you can drop your bit rate for recording in the NanoFlash, but that compromises the image quality.

I've occasionally shot with my EX1 for a company that has some HDV cameras, and at those times I record to the SxS cards in the 25Mbps SP mode, which records 1440x1080 and allows me to make an HDV tape dub straight from the firewire on the camera (to an HDV camera or deck)

However, if the main issue is ftp, let me mention a recent workflow that might work:
I was doing a corporate shoot in NYC with an EX1, and when I arrived at location they told me (no warning on this!) that, in addition to severals statements that were being used in the US, other parts of the shoot would be for an overseas division of the company, which wanted to start editing ASAP. These were CEO statements - 7 or 8 pages of teleprmpter copy. I also knew that the last time this division had done a shoot with the CEO, they had shot with a RED, so dropping image quality was not something I wanted to do.
We called London to find out what format they wanted and what edit system they'd be using (Avid), switched the camera over to European Region, and recorded simultaneously to the NanoFlash at 50Mbps LongGOP.
I was able to take the NanoFlash files and copy them directly to an optical ProDisc using a Sony U1 drive - This not only made an archive master of the shoot, but simultaneously created the smaller Sony Proxy Files. The proxy files could then be FTP'd so that editing could start immediately in London, while the full res 4:2:2 files were FTP'd overnight (I think it took about 6 or 8 hours), so that they could conform first thing in the morning.
Obviously, had I been shooting with an F800, I could have created the proxies straight to a thumb drive as we were shooting, but since I had my EX1 instead, this was the next best option.

Garrett Low February 8th, 2011 09:41 AM

1080 HDV is a LongGOP, MPEG2 file with a 25Mbps bitrate. The resolution is 1440 x 1080 with a PAR of 1.333. 4:2:0 color space.

You'll have to find out what the main parameter is that your client wants matched. I don't believe the nanoFlash has the ability to record 25Mbps MPEG2 files. The closest it can com are XDCAM 35Mbps files. They will be 4:2:0 color instead of 4:2:2 but they will essentially be the same as what you'd get from an EX1/3.

The only way to get HDV files would be to pull them into an NLE and rerender them.

-Garrett

Robin Probyn February 8th, 2011 07:01 PM

Thanks for the info..

I would be shooting with my HDX900.. I should have said.. with the idea of not having to use a HDV camera.!

So yes I guess XDCAM 35 Mbps .. is that the SD setting rather than the HD settings ..

Thanks for your time..

Dale Guthormsen February 10th, 2011 10:09 AM

Just a thought,

Why do you not shoot with good quality and then alter the format in post??

Robin Probyn February 10th, 2011 06:58 PM

Hi there

Yes Im sure that would work.Im not dealing with post though,just got a request that they shoot HDV.. I dont know those small camera,s much so though I would use my HDX900 and Nano at a {HDV} setting..
Otherwise just rent a Z1..

Thanks