DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Question about Nanoflash and HDV camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/491459-question-about-nanoflash-hdv-camera.html)

Jonathan Bird February 9th, 2011 06:42 AM

Question about Nanoflash and HDV camera

Hey Gang,
So I have a dumb question.

I am considering adding a Nanoflash to a Sony V1 underwater system that I have considerable investment in as a way to extend its useful life. The alternative is a $20,000 investment in an EX1/housing/lens. I know the EX1 is better in low light but it's a heck of a price for the performance gain. A nanoflash would be a lot cheaper and could theoretically result in better images for me with the V1 than the XDcam format on the EX1 considering that 95% of the time I'm shooting in plenty of light.

But how does one keep the camera from shutting down with the nanoflash? Do you run tape in it just to keep it running? These things tend to power down to save batteries after a while. I have never noticed a menu setting to prevent that. How much would it be a bummer if the camera shuts its self off in the middle of a great shot? (In nature, you don't often get another chance when you blow it).

Jonathan

Simon Wood February 9th, 2011 06:57 AM

I have an XLH1 HDV camcorder. It is possible to switch off the Power Save function by going in to the menu (and altering the system settings). I'd be surprised if Sony did not have a similar function.

The alternative is to just re-use tapes while capturing to the nanoflash.

Ron Little February 9th, 2011 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Your question is not dumb. I have a V1 also, I added a Nanoflash to extend the life of the cam. I have been happy with the results. I also was considering the EX1 after some research I came to the conclusion that you would have to add a Nanoflash to the EX1 also, so I went with the Nanoflash. I figure that a lot of people will be jumping to large sensor cameras and at some point those cams will end up on ebay. I will wait for a good price on an EX add my Nanoflash to it and be in good shape.

Jonathan Bird February 9th, 2011 10:10 AM

Well, I can't find a menu setting to disable the power save function, so I'm running a test right now to see how long it runs before it shuts down. I guess I can always run a tape which can function as a backup.

Ron, nice looking little rig!

Simon Wood February 9th, 2011 11:40 AM

If you cant disable the power save then work out how long it take before it powers down. Usually a small touch on the zoom rocker or something like that will cause the power save to reset, so you know you just have to slightly zoom every 10 minutes or whatever to get around the power save.

The Nanoflash really extends the life of HDV cameras by getting around that problematic codec. It means you get to keep your camera (and all of its accessories) for a few more years - and if you upgrade to an AF100 (or EX1 or whatever) your nanoflash still keeps working for you...

James Redmond February 9th, 2011 03:03 PM

With a Sony XF-2000 (old minidv format) all you have to do is take the tape out and the camera will not switch off. With the tape in the camera it will shut down in about 5 minutes. I never found a menu option to turn the power save off.

Good luck with it. James

Jonathan Bird February 9th, 2011 03:51 PM

James, you are on to something.

Today I tested it with whatever half charged battery was on the camera. Just turned it on and sat it on the deck next to the computer. NO TAPE. I didn't even think to put a tape in it. The camera ran for 35 minutes. When it did shut down, the battery was dead. So I think that's the answer.

This nanoflash thing sounds pretty cool! It's not cheap though! (I suppose given that it's the only thing like it on the market, it's not too expensive, but when you consider that an entire camera with lens, tape drive, etc. is about the same price....)

Adam Stanislav February 9th, 2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Bird (Post 1616300)
It's not cheap though!

But you do get what you paid for.

Ron Little February 9th, 2011 04:43 PM

They keep improving it and when they do they give you the update. Not to even mention you can actually call them on the phone and get help.

Jonathan Bird February 10th, 2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Little (Post 1616324)
Not to even mention you can actually call them on the phone and get help.

This is a big plus. Everyone says their customer support is A+

So who makes a 1-2 foot HDMI cable so I don't have to wrap 3 feet of cable up in a roll inside my UW housing??

Next question, can I run this thing off the battery that goes on V1? (Sony NP-F style)

Ron Little February 10th, 2011 11:14 PM

When you get the kit it comes with a short cable. I rigged mine up to use my Sony batteries using the battery compartment off of an old Sony camera and a cell phone holder. It looks like it was made for the job. You can also find battery holders on BH Photo .com.

Dan Keaton February 11th, 2011 06:17 AM

Dear Jonathan,

Please feel free to email me via this forum.

In return, I will send you all of my phone numbers.

If you include your phone number I will call you at your convenience.

We have small batteries that power the nanoFlash for approximately 3 hours and 6 hours.

There are battery cradles available for other batteries.

Let's talk so I can offer a custom solution for you.

Jonathan Bird February 11th, 2011 07:46 AM

Thank you Dan! I am making a "mock up" of the Nanoflash today to make sure I can fit it in my underwater housing. How large in the battery pack?

Dan Keaton February 11th, 2011 08:13 AM

Dear Jonathan,

These battery packs are available from nanoFlash.net - Batteries and Chargers

2-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery - 7.4 volt 2600mAh. 4 oz. (2-3/4 x 1-1/2 x 3/4) Powers the nanoFlash up to 3 hours. $59.95

4-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery - 7.4 volt 5200mAh. 7.5 oz. (2-3/4 x 1-1/2 x 1-1/2) Powers the nanoFlash up to 6 hours. $79.95

8-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery - 7.4 volt 8800mAh. 14oz (2-3/4 x 1-1/2 x 3) Powers the nanoFlash up to 10 hours. $129.95

For the two-cell battery, the run time approximately 3 hours, maybe a little less or more.

For the four-cell and eight-cell batteries, the times are very conservative.

If the dimensions of the batteries do not fit your needs, other configuration can be built for you, such as a 4 cell battery that is longer and the same thickness at the 2-cell batteries.

Also, you could use two two-cell batteries in parallel to increase your record times.

Just call nanoFlash.net and they should be able to work out a custom solution for you or recommend a back pack that will suit your needs.

Simon Wood February 11th, 2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1617032)

There are battery cradles available for other batteries.

Dan, what are the battery cradles? Is there one that can use canon batteries?

BTW - I finally got to see some of the test footage I have been shooting in the .MOV format, on a friends Final Cut Pro. The 100mbs looks very sweet, with very fluid movements (up until now I'd only seen it in VLC which somehow makes the footage look a bit grainy).

Thanks.