DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Nanoflash with FCP capture question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/491466-nanoflash-fcp-capture-question.html)

Jonathan Bird February 9th, 2011 10:14 AM

Nanoflash with FCP capture question

I'm sure this has been addressed before so I apologize for the noob question in advance. I couldn't find it in a search.

It seems like 100 Mbps is the sweet spot on the nanoflash using long GOP. If I shoot in 100 Mbps format, how does the workflow go to get it into FCP?

Can I use the Log and Transfer utility as I would with XDCAM footage?

The reason is because I do nature stuff, and I generally end up tossing a large amount of footage. It's really convenient to only transfer the good shots into FCP. If I have to drag and drop the whole file into FCP to get the 10 seconds I need, it's a huge waste.

Thanks for your help!

Jonathan

Jonathan Bird February 9th, 2011 10:46 AM

I found this on the CD website
http://www.convergent-design.com/Por...010-Apr-10.pdf

Which seems to imply that if I use the MXF format, the Sony plug-in will work on the footage with FCP. Is that right? Even at 100 Mbps? This is not clear.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Jonathan Bird February 9th, 2011 03:52 PM

Seriously nobody knows the answer to this? Does everyone drag and drop the entire nanoflash file to the hard drive? Am I the only guy that only wants to keep a small percentage of shots?

Dan Keaton February 9th, 2011 05:02 PM

Dear Jonathan,

If you are going to edit with Final Cut Pro, just shoot in ".MOV" (Quicktime Format).

While the Sony Plug-In which allows you to work in MXF works perfectly, it is an extra step.

You did not need to use Log and Transfer.

Just copy our files to your disk subsystem (Hard Disk Drives or Solid State Drives), the drag and drop the files onto your timeline.

Dan Keaton February 9th, 2011 05:04 PM

Dear Jonathan,

Sorry, I started to answer you question about an hour ago, but got swamped with phone calls.

Dan Keaton February 9th, 2011 05:36 PM

Dear Johnathan,

You may, depending on your CompactFlash card reader and computer, be able to play files directly off o the CompactFlash cards.

Then, you can just copy the ones you want to your hard drive.

Also, the nanoFlash has a "Delete Last Clip" function, so you can delete undesired clips in the field.

Caution: We do not have an undelete of a clip that was deleted this way, so be careful. Once you record again after a "Delete Last Clip", the old clip cannot be recovered.

Jonathan Bird February 10th, 2011 10:02 PM

Hey Dan,
Thanks for your answer. I have not made my question clear.

In the way I work on nature stuff, I often run the camera for 10+ minutes at a time just to record the "decisive moment" of animal behavior which may be only a few seconds. When I shoot tape, I only capture the part I need, and leave the rest on the tape.

If I shoot with a Nanoflash, I do not want to drop the entire ten minute quicktime .MOV onto a hard drive and fill the drive up with useless footage. When working with XDcam I like the option of trimming the clip to only the part I need with Log and Transfer, the same way I would only capture the part I need from tape and not capture the rest. Make sense?

So the question is....can I shoot 100 Mbps Long GOP as .MXF and then use Log and Capture? It sounds like I can at 50 Mbps because FCP recognizes this bit rate. But does FCP recognize higher bitrates in Log and Transfer?

Thanks

Jonathan

Dan Keaton February 11th, 2011 06:13 AM

Dear Jonathan,

Sorry, but I personally have never used Log and Transfer in Final Cut Pro and always capture the entire clip.

The nanoFlash has a File Size parameter. You can set this to, say 20%, the select the desired (small) file, and transfer it to your hard drive.

Log and Transfer may work. I hope Final Cut Pro experts will answer your question. Also, I will ask our team if they know the answer.

If do not think the bit-rate will matter to FCP. Others may know.

Jonathan Bird February 11th, 2011 07:50 AM

Would anyone be able to shoot a short clip at 100 Mbps in .MXF with a Nano and send me the resulting file? I could test it with FCP. It would need to be sent with the proper hierarchical file/folder structure so that the plugin recognizes it. I have a yousendit.com account that can transfer up to 2GB so I can send a link to my drop box and it would be easy to send me. The shot can be anything....just a few seconds at 100 Mbps and I'll answer this question!

Dan Keaton February 11th, 2011 08:17 AM

Dear Jonathan,

We have many samples on our website, ready for you to download.

You can choose Quicktime (".MOV") or ".MXF" files, the frame rate, the bit-rate, and the length of the file.

nanoFlash Sample Videos

Dan Keaton February 11th, 2011 08:21 AM

Dear Jonathan,

With the nanoFlash, one does not need to worry about the file structure or the proper hierarchical file/folder structure, or worry about a Plug-In.

Each file stands alone. This is one of the beauties of the nanoFlash.

The nanoFlash files are just "Drag and Drop" to the timeline. It is really that easy.

Typically one copies the files from a CompactFlash card to the Hard Disk Drive or SSD folder of your choice. Then one drags and drops the file, or files, to your timeline.

If one is used to using a P2 Workflow, it is easier.

It is easier than other workflows where one has to use a Plug-In.

(If one records in MXF file format then wants to edit the file in MOV in Final Cut Pro, then there is a very nice Sony Plug-In to perform the re-wrap of the file. Note that this is not a transcode, just a re-wrap.

If one records in MOV for Final Cut Pro and MXF for most other NLE's, then the plug-in is not needed)

If one records in MOV and later wants MXF, we provide a free File Converter to perform the re-wrap (again, not a transcode).

Adam Stanislav February 11th, 2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton (Post 1617079)
With the nanoFlash, one does need to worry about the file structure or the proper hierarchical file/folder structure, or worry about a Plug-In.

I am assuming you meant to say one does not need to worry. Correct?

Dan Keaton February 11th, 2011 10:52 AM

Dear Adam,

Thank you for pointing that out!

I corrected the original post to include the word "not".

Ned Soltz February 11th, 2011 12:04 PM

I see what you are saying about only logging a portion of the clip.

If you recorded in MXF format to the NanoFlash and then use the XDCAM Transfer function in FCP (or use the XDCAM Transfer app standalone), you can create a subclip of exactly the moment of animal behavior and import into FCP. You would have the momentary delay of rewrapping the MXF, but you also would not waste disk space with material you don't need.

Download a sample MXF, as Dan suggests, and give it a try.

Dan Keaton February 11th, 2011 01:26 PM

Dear Ned,

Thank you!