CF Cards Shown As "Full" On nanoFlash, When Only Part Filled - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #16
Major Player

I trigger my nano from the camcorder, either from the lanc controller on the tripod handle or from my wireless remote (that from my HV20) all to lessen the effects of camera shake. Thus I have a tape in the camera and record to that in parallel with the nano.

Yes Dan I do have a wired remote . Maybe I need to give it a go. Will this though mean I won't be able to simultaneously tape record?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Dear Ron,

If you use the wired remote, it only controls the nanoFlash.

You would have to Start/Stop the camera manually, if desired.
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Unless I'm misunderstanding the discussion, the problem isn't with hot swapping, it's with the "two pushes on the record button means skip to the next card". If you (and others) feel that this is too dangerous without providing a setting to enable and disable it, then the setting should control whether "two pushes" is enabled or disabled, not whether hot swapping is enabled or disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Billy,

If I understand you correct, you are suggesting that we just disable the function were the Record Key is pressed twice in succession.

If disabled, as I understand your position, then hot swapping could still work, just that one would have to wait until the card filled up, then the nanoFlash automatically advanced to the next card.

Billy, that is an interesting suggestion.

Using your suggestion, people who need to edit quickly, while still recording, could enable it, and others could disable it. An example would be camera operators covering breaking news.
You understand my thoughts correctly. Again, it appears that the danger is accidentally pushing the record button twice, not that hot swapping exists. So a setting to prevent this type of accident should be deal with the cause of the "problem", not with the result of the problem (fix the cause, not the symptom).

Billy
Billy Steinberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Dear Billy,

I wanted to use this thread to get thoughts from our users so we can come up with the best solution.

I find your comments to be very valuable.

I welcome other comments.
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #20
Major Player

Dear Dan,
I have also tried this and I believe the problem is the old fashion keyboard bounce. What about using the Right arrow key when the Nanoflash is in record mode to skip to the next card or close the file. This seems to me to be a much more appropriate key to use and would elevate the problem.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Dear Lance,

Yes, that is more logical.

We are currently using the Left and Right Arrows, during record to adjust the Crank Rate if we are over or under-cranking.

Of course, over and under-cranking are not in use at all times. And over and under-cranking is a specialized activity and not normal used in conjunction with Hot Swapping.
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #22
Major Player

"I think I had a poor connection via the XLH1 Timecode Out socket"

Is it possible that a loose timecode cable/circuit could trigger the effect by causing 2 quick timecode initiated start request ?
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Dear Don,

We could test that condition in our lab.

I doubt,however, that is the problem.

Our code to detect if the Record Button was pressed twice in succession is very different from the code to detect if we should start record based on incrementing timecode.
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #24
Major Player

I'm absolutely no technophile, ignorance is bliss more like it, but Don's suggestion rings a bell with me and my XLH1. I have had connection problems, " No SR " message even though nano continuing to record.
Being out in the field (sometimes literally) gives no opportunity for a careful evaluation of what is happening.
If Dan is to test his XLH1 maybe include simulating a rapid series of"record/pause" with Timecode coming from the camera.

If I did this and something happened more a matter of "so what?" given my technical incompetence.

Ron
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Don,

We could test that condition in our lab.

I doubt,however, that is the problem.

Our code to detect if the Record Button was pressed twice in succession is very different from the code to detect if we should start record based on incrementing timecode.
So the forced top swop.. ie two quick pushes of the record button,can be achieved from the camera record button(when shooting internal media simultaneously) I also presumed it was only activated from the Nano record button only ?
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Dear Robin,

Sorry, but the forced Hot Swap to the next CompactFlash card can only be achieved by pressing the Record Button on the nanoFlash twice in succession.

While we need to do actual testing tomorrow, I am very confident that the above is accurate.

Pressing Record Button on your camera cannot activate Hot Swap.
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #27
Major Player

I'm going to have to disagree with Dan.My difficulties with inadvertent hot swapping happened when I was not in any direct contact with the nanoFlash at all.

I (must have) pressed record twice,quickly, via either the Lanc controller or the camera wireless remote.

Ron
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Dear Ron,

I went back and read some of your earlier posts. I stand corrected.

We will do our best to test this tomorow.
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #29
Major Player

Re: CF Cards Shown As "Full" On nanoFlash, When Only Part Filled

Any progress? Busy time as always I suppose. Would also like to know how Olaf is getting on with his improvement to the mounting bracket.

Ron
Old February 24th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Re: CF Cards Shown As "Full" On nanoFlash, When Only Part Filled

Dear Ron,

I will ask our lab to post their results of the testing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey