DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   CS5 for Apple (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/491736-cs5-apple.html)

Simon Wood February 14th, 2011 05:53 AM

CS5 for Apple

This is probably a dumb question - a guy I will be shooting footage for has CS5 Premiere on a Mac computer. I cant meet him before the shoot to test footage, so I'd like to confirm that this should be shot on MXF or MOV?

I know MOV is usually for Macs, but that's usually when they're running Final Cut Pro, or is it for all software including CS5?

Thanks!

Dave Sperling February 14th, 2011 07:41 AM

AFAIK the MOV files require a codec available only in FCP or by purchasing the Calibrated XD Decode Plug-in, so MXF would be the way to go for Premiere.
As I recall there were some issues with Nano files and the intitial CS5 release, so you might want to make sure your client has updated his software to a recent version.
I have one client who edits on Premiere, and as I recall I was giving him LongGOP MXF files, but I don't remember the bit rate we settled on. I'd highly recommend having your client download and test a short clip before you lock into a specific record rate.
Or if someone who uses Premiere CS5 all the time wants to chime in -- ???

Steve Kalle February 19th, 2011 09:17 PM

Yes, MXF is the correct choice. Just be aware that Premiere CS5 STILL has problems with nanoFlash files. When you import the nanoFlash files into Premiere, they are conformed which eats up ram like crazy. There is another thread somewhere discussing this issue but I can't recall where. Essentially, for every 1GB of file size, 1GB of ram is used (or it might be more). Even with my 24GB of ram, I must be careful not to import too much at one time or Premiere locks up and the computer usually requires a hard reset.

ANOTHER problem I have experienced is when I encode a project with nanoFlash files. I exported a 3.5 minute clip using all nanoFlash files (100Mb L-GOP) and it used all 12GB of ram on my home pc which seriously slowed the encode.

C-D guys: PLEASE use your contacts at Adobe to get this fixed because I no longer use my brand NEW nanoFlash and I am thinking of selling it if this problem continues.

Dan Keaton February 19th, 2011 10:07 PM

Dear Steve,

Thank you for sharing your experience with CS5.

We will attempt to contact Adobe on Monday.

Steve Kalle February 20th, 2011 12:00 AM

Thanks Dan. I appreciate any help in this matter. The other person who is having the same problem contacted Adobe and they had no solution except to update the drivers and the software, which did nothing :(

In the meantime, I will test the 50Mb recording because Adobe should see it as a normal XDCAM HD file and I haven't heard of any problems with these files.