CS5 for Apple at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old February 14th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Major Player

CS5 for Apple

This is probably a dumb question - a guy I will be shooting footage for has CS5 Premiere on a Mac computer. I cant meet him before the shoot to test footage, so I'd like to confirm that this should be shot on MXF or MOV?

I know MOV is usually for Macs, but that's usually when they're running Final Cut Pro, or is it for all software including CS5?

Thanks!
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #2
Major Player

AFAIK the MOV files require a codec available only in FCP or by purchasing the Calibrated XD Decode Plug-in, so MXF would be the way to go for Premiere.
As I recall there were some issues with Nano files and the intitial CS5 release, so you might want to make sure your client has updated his software to a recent version.
I have one client who edits on Premiere, and as I recall I was giving him LongGOP MXF files, but I don't remember the bit rate we settled on. I'd highly recommend having your client download and test a short clip before you lock into a specific record rate.
Or if someone who uses Premiere CS5 all the time wants to chime in -- ???
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Trustee

Yes, MXF is the correct choice. Just be aware that Premiere CS5 STILL has problems with nanoFlash files. When you import the nanoFlash files into Premiere, they are conformed which eats up ram like crazy. There is another thread somewhere discussing this issue but I can't recall where. Essentially, for every 1GB of file size, 1GB of ram is used (or it might be more). Even with my 24GB of ram, I must be careful not to import too much at one time or Premiere locks up and the computer usually requires a hard reset.

ANOTHER problem I have experienced is when I encode a project with nanoFlash files. I exported a 3.5 minute clip using all nanoFlash files (100Mb L-GOP) and it used all 12GB of ram on my home pc which seriously slowed the encode.

C-D guys: PLEASE use your contacts at Adobe to get this fixed because I no longer use my brand NEW nanoFlash and I am thinking of selling it if this problem continues.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Steve,

Thank you for sharing your experience with CS5.

We will attempt to contact Adobe on Monday.
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Dan. I appreciate any help in this matter. The other person who is having the same problem contacted Adobe and they had no solution except to update the drivers and the software, which did nothing :(

In the meantime, I will test the 50Mb recording because Adobe should see it as a normal XDCAM HD file and I haven't heard of any problems with these files.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey