DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   nanoFlash and Sony F3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/493496-nanoflash-sony-f3.html)

Dan Keaton March 23rd, 2011 05:14 PM

nanoFlash and Sony F3

Dear Friends,

We have had many reports of people using a nanoFlash with a Sony PMW-F3 (the F3).

Everyone who has reported back to us is ecstatic with the quality of images.

There is a good reason for the outstanding quality.

The nanoFlash records very high quality images.

The F3 is an extremely low noise camera.

Noise is the enemy of codecs.

Take away the noise and the codec can do an outstanding job!

Thus the nanoFlash + Sony F3 is a very good combination.

(This is not to say that the Gemini 4:4:4 + Sony F3 is not an even better combination.)

Dennis Dillon March 23rd, 2011 07:26 PM

Re: nanoFlash and Sony F3

"This is not to say that the Gemini 4:4:4 + Sony F3 is not an even better combination."
DK

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...-who-when.html

Dan,
I posted a sort of query on the F3 site as to who and when we will be seeing 10 Bit S-Log.
Of course your Gemini capability of recording both S Log one one drive and applying a 709 LUT to the second drive is a fantastic idea.

Dan Keaton March 23rd, 2011 08:19 PM

Dear Dennis,

There are many reasons why the Gemini 4:4:4 is a perfect match for the Sony F3.

Being able to support Sony S-Log is one of the reasons.

The nanoFlash can not record S-Log properly, while the Gemini 4:4:4 can.

Ed David March 23rd, 2011 10:34 PM

i love the combo on my F3. Did three shoots with it now - and it looks stunning!

David Imedashvili July 2nd, 2011 05:27 PM

1st SONY F3 Test in Tbilisi, Georgia

SONY PMW-F3, MTF Nikon-PL Adapter, Zeiss Prime Lenses 35,50,85, Redrock & Letus Rig, Redrock Matte Box & Follow Focus, Nano Flash Iframe 280 mb, No Lights, No Grip, Music: Sisters Ishkhnelebi, Text: Ioseb Jugashvili ( STALIN ) Yes :)) STALIN. Camera is Amassing.

Robin Probyn July 2nd, 2011 06:02 PM

Mum looks pretty good too :)

David Imedashvili July 2nd, 2011 11:34 PM

Thank You. This My Family. I made quick Test just one hour shot.

Dan Keaton July 3rd, 2011 04:16 AM

Dear David,

Thank you for posting!

Your video looks very nice.

Almost everyone who has the Sony F3 and uses it with the nanoFlash, says "Stunning", just like Ed David did!

It really is a magical combination.

(But, just to be clear, if one wants to use S-Log, the Gemini 4:4;4 supports that while the nanoFlash should not be used with S-Log footage, just use Cinegamma's instead).

Alister Chapman July 3rd, 2011 07:02 AM

I shot parts of the 3D Cinema Commercial used to publicise todays showing of the Wimbledon final in 3D in cinemas and on TV. We used a pair of F3's on a Hurricane Rig, recording on to a Nano3D at 100Mb/s Long GoP. The results are fantastic and it looks great on the big screen.

Robin Probyn July 3rd, 2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Imedashvili (Post 1663911)
Thank You. This My Family. I made quick Test just one hour shot.

I think your wife would look great on grainy super 8mm shot from a uni cycle on a rainy day :) lucky man !

David Imedashvili July 3rd, 2011 10:58 AM

Robin Thank You Again.

Dan Keaton July 3rd, 2011 07:45 PM

Dear Alister,

Thank you very much for the confirmation!

It is great to hear that you now have two F3's!

David Imedashvili July 4th, 2011 04:01 AM

I wanna Buy GEMINI But Price is hi. so i decided Send Nano Flash with fs100 and for F3 buy HyperDeck Shuttle for 4:2:2 and for 4:4:4 I will use my old Quad Core internal raid macPro with DeckLink HD Extreme 3D. yes this this not comfortable option but like this I will save up to 3000 USD. if Gemini will be 3000USD its possible go with it.

Adam Stanislav July 4th, 2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Imedashvili (Post 1664193)
HyperDeck Shuttle for 4:2:2

You peeked my curiosity, David, so I spent the holiday (this is Independence Day here in the US) researching that item. I almost pre-ordered it at B&H, but finally decided against it. It is certainly nice that it is uncompressed, but it still is 4:2:2 and I doubt that the quality would be that much different from the nF’s highest quality setting.

But as for the price, consider this. The device itself is extremely attractive at such a low price (and Black Magic Design is a reputable company, too, so I expect it to work as promised). But, nowhere in its specification does it mention just how much disk space you need for a minute of video, let alone an hour, and so on. It only mentions it uses the 3 Gb/s speed to write to the hard drive. So, if it actually writes 3 Gb every second, that is 3 GB every 8 seconds (since 1 B = 8 b). That’s 22.5 GB every minute! So, with a typical 250 GB SSD drive, you will get all of 11 minutes on a drive. You will probably want to keep the data on those drives, since they are computer drives anyway, and you would fill a regular 1 TB drive just by dumping a 250 GB SSD drive just four times to it.

And do you realize how expensive those SSD drives are? You will spend a lot more money on those drives than you’d spend on a nF in no time! And you would continue spending it. Not to even mention that you will need big storage space for all those drives.

Honestly, that HyperDeck Shuttle looks like a very impressive device, but if you are just looking at its price, you need to consider all these future costs, never-ending future costs if you like to archive everything you shoot.

David Imedashvili July 4th, 2011 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Independence Day USA! I Love This Country But I was born in Georgia Tbilisi! For capacity uncompressed video see this chart.