No need for Gemini on F3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 31st, 2011, 02:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

No need for Gemini on F3?

Although announced as a perfect match I still wonder if the F3 shall be worth the Gemini 444 according to its native resolution.
I read an article about the native sensor used for the F3. It says as follows:
"The CMOS sensor in the F3 has 1220*690 pixels in Green and 610*345 pixels in Red and Blue
This should work for 4:2:0 but curtainly not for 4:4:4. You'll get a great sensitivity and dynamic range. Also better S/N ratio and minimal aliasing. There is slight disadvantage in sharpness and resolution."
I would conclude that the Nanoflash will be good enough for the F3 and you gain too little (2 bits depth) by using 444 recording. Unless I go for the S-Log option, I would not need a Gemini-like recording device.
Is this a rational conclusion?
Ron Aerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: No need for Gemini on F3?

I don't think those resolution values are accurate. The resolution of the imager exceeds 3k.

From what I've read the camera may not completely resolve 4.4.4 but it will be close.
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: No need for Gemini on F3?

If you look at the recently released BBC report, its Zone Plate test makes it appear as though there are an even number of R, G, B pixels on the sensor.

look at page 10.

http://thebrownings.name/WHP034/pdf/...ony_PMW-F3.pdf

Here is the thread about this report http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...bc-report.html

If you read the entire report, you will see glaring mistakes; however, the Zone Plates cannot lie.

Personally, just the S-Log output is worth it not to mention the ability to record 1080 60p.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey