DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Convergent Design Odyssey (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/)
-   -   Timelapse help - nanoflash (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/convergent-design-odyssey/494194-timelapse-help-nanoflash.html)

Simon Wood April 6th, 2011 12:13 PM

Timelapse help - nanoflash

Hey,

I'm in the field doing some shooting at the moment. It looks like I'll need to do some unexpected timelapse shots - something I have never experimented with before (I'm a run-and-gun type). Its not life or death, but it would be nice to get some shots.

The problem is that I really dont have any monitoring options out here, and power is a real issue too (totally unreliable electricity), so batteries are short. Internet, when available is very slow, and I dont have my Nanoflash manual...

Does anyone have any 'quick-start' help with doing timelapse on the nanoflash? I'm guessing the camera just needs to be left on, without a tape, and the nanoflash will do the work.

1) I've set the unit to I Frame. Do I just put on timelapse to start? Signal is SDI from an XLH1.
2) I usually shoot 25fps with PSF on - can I keep it at that?
3) Timecode - Internal?
4) Trigger - Record button?
5) How do I set the length of the clip?
6) How to set the interval?
7) Will it stop recording automatically? If I want to stop it prematurely (if batteries are running low) can I abort it midway and will the clip still work?

I'm not clear on how to set the length of the clip to be recorded. Also I'm not sure what would be a good interval setting. For instance I'd like to get some shots of clouds moving over a building (during the course of an hour say), or shadows moving across the ground - any ideas what would be a standard set up for those types of shots?

Sorry I'm being lazy here: I'm just not used to these shots and the location I'm at is not conducive to experimenting...

Cheers,

Simon

Alan Emery April 6th, 2011 01:26 PM

Re: Timelapse help - nanoflash

Hi Simon,

Here is what I use. In the System settings:

Trigger - Record Button
Duration - 1 hour (or whatever length of time is best to capture your event)
Timecode Source - Internal
Prebuffer is Off

Under Video:
Bitrate is 220 or 280
CODEC is I frame
T-Lapse is 1 second for nice slow cloud action over an hour, 2 seconds for slightly faster, 5 seconds is really quite fast cloud movement

Audio will not be recorded iin any useful way.

At 25 fps I would recommend 1/50 or 1/100 sec on your camera.

1 frame per second timelapse interval gives you 60 frames for each minute recorded, 2 second interval gives you 30 frames for each minute recorded, and 5 second interval 12 frames per minute recorded. Depending on your playing frame rate you can calculate the length of the resulting clip. Suppose your playing frame rate is 25, then 1 sec interval = 144 sec clip. I like the feel of this speed and I choose the best part from the clip to include in the video. 5 second intervals is great if you have storm clouds but can be overwhelming.

Hope that helps,

Alan

Andy Mangrum April 6th, 2011 01:36 PM

Hello Simon,

You can always download a copy of the manual off our website on the downloads page.

Manuals | Support | Convergent Design

My Answer's are Embedded below:

1) I've set the unit to I Frame. Do I just put on timelapse to start? Signal is SDI from an XLH1.

Under the Video Menu Select Time Lapse as well as the Interval in which you wish to record.

(Which will be 1 Frame per whatever interval you wish) Hours:Minutes:Seconds
00:00:01, Would be 1 Frame a Second,

2) I usually shoot 25fps with PSF on - can I keep it at that?
To record 1080p25 Yes

3) Timecode - Internal?
Timecode can be internal or provided by the camera but the editors will just look at the First frame and go from there, so if you set it for internal you would be able to see how long its been Recording for.

4) Trigger - Record button?
Record Button is Fine

5) How do I set the length of the clip?
Like a normal recording when you start record by whatever method, it will record till you press the stop button,

6) How to set the interval?
Hours:Minutes:Seconds also keep in mind it takes 25 Frames (@ 1080p25) to Produce 1 Second of Record Video,

So with the Interval set to 00:01:00 it will cover 25 Minutes in 1 Second of Video.

7) Will it stop recording automatically? If I want to stop it prematurely (if batteries are running low) can I abort it midway and will the clip still work?

The record is like a typical recording and can be stopped at anytime, but keep in mind if the battery dies without you closing the file (pressing the stop button) the entire file will be lost.

Hope that Helps

Also Feel Free to Email or call us Directly

Simon Wood April 6th, 2011 02:51 PM

Thanks Alan & Andy,

Much appreciated! I'm really looking forward to trying this out.

Best regards,

Simon